Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtcannon

BlackEdge runners

Curious if anyone has any updates. I am in need of a custom combo radius for my APX and I am deciding between these and standard step. Are these the same weight as a set of Step steel?

Curious if anyone has any updates. I am in need of a custom combo radius for my APX and I am deciding between these and standard step. Are these the same weight as a set of Step steel?

No they are not same height as Step, more like stock runners.

So it sounds like these and NanoGlide are fairly similar, except for the quality of the underlying steel, but what is the difference between these and nitinol?

DOes anyone know if the runners come in a neutral pitch or a slight forward pitch? I have heard step has a slight forward pitch vs. bauer steel. I am coming from Fusion steel and I was happier with the stock pitch and radius of step steel I had on other skates.

Tried contacting the manufacturer, but havent heard back yet. Anyone know if they plan on making these for Custom + holders? Probably not, but figured Id ask.

Tried contacting the manufacturer, but havent heard back yet. Anyone know if they plan on making these for Custom + holders? Probably not, but figured Id ask.

Lightspeed Pro and Lightspeed II. From what I understand, Bauer will no longer be making the screws for the Custom Plus. I don't think we'll be seeing much more of these on the market, so I don't think Powertek will be offering these blades.

Went ahead and ordered a set for the LS2 and skated on them for the first time yesterday. Main thing I noticed was the huge amount of confidence they gave me on my edges, they cut hard and precise. Never even came close to losing one. The glide was also slightly better than my old stainless in the Custom +. I would definitely recommend them if you like to bend your knees and get nice and low when making sharp cuts.

As mentioned earlier, no stoning/honing these blades unless absolutely needed, and if so, do it lightly.

since all local sharpeners around here seems to like to stone runners after every sharpening does it mean there's a great likelihood that the coating will be ruined?

are there any specific cases when stoning could be use safely? for instance the usual situation when you roll-up the edge or something?

also after reading the sharpening instructions I'm a bit concerned about the need to cross-grind before EVERY sharpening? I understand the need for the initial one (it's common for all runners), but why the following sharpening also require the cross-grind?

basically I'm looking into getting BlackEdge, but am concerned with the longevity of the blades when sharpening in regular local shops.

thanks!

After reading about this new blade here, ordered a pair. After about 10-12 hours of skating on them mostly in beer league games, I agree with most everything that has been said. It's lighter than the Step, since it doesn't have that extra blade height. Edges are still great, which makes tight turns a breeze. No nicks so far. I have been real impress with it's gliding also. I usually get my stock runners sharpened after about 5-8 hours of skating. With Step, it was closer to about 20 hours of skating. So far, as you can tell, BE is going strong. I do like the BE better than Step, so far. My biggest issue with Step was the extra height and 'sharper' heel and toe angles. It gave me shin splints, so I had to shave them off. But with BE, no issues as is. :smile:

Went ahead and ordered a set for the LS2 and skated on them for the first time yesterday. Main thing I noticed was the huge amount of confidence they gave me on my edges, they cut hard and precise. Never even came close to losing one. The glide was also slightly better than my old stainless in the Custom +. I would definitely recommend them if you like to bend your knees and get nice and low when making sharp cuts.

Nice! My set should be in this week. I'm switching from LS2 as well.

Can this be profiled like traditional steel or does the coating prevent that?

They can be profiled like traditional steel.

They don't need to be crossground at all. The first time they are sharpened, the coating on the bottom needs to be removed. I do this with about 8 light passes on the finishing wheel. I profile them just like regular steel, no problem. When you get them sharpened, just tell your sharpener not to hone them, not a big deal. Why would they hone if you tell them not to?

Virtually all of our customers who are skating on them, love them and tell me they would not go back to regular steel. These things are a winner for the skater, a money looser for the sharpener. I don't think they'll do tuuk+, so little demand. Same reason, no goalie blades either.

any feedback for us?

Nope. They were back ordered and they were unsure of how long it was going to take so I just stayed with the fusion steel.

They don't need to be crossground at all. The first time they are sharpened, the coating on the bottom needs to be removed. I do this with about 8 light passes on the finishing wheel.

Interesting...reason why I say that is because with NanoGlide, a pass on the wheel barely scuffs the coating.

I'd like to try BlackEdge, especially since I'm on LS2 again with the TO NXG.

I just do about 8 passes to remove the coating, then I radius them, then the normal first sharpening, 20 or so passes. Not hard to remove the coating like nanoglide, that is worse.

Does 'Pro' version of the BlackEdge runner fits just fine into LS2 holders? It's marketed for LS Pro holder, but the attachments look exactly the same so it should work in theory, but then with LS2 and LS Pro being almost identical what's the purpose of having 2 runners with such different profiles (toe/heel on the Pro version are huge!)...