Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtcannon

BlackEdge runners

For what it's worth, I recently got my BlackEdge steel sharpened for the first time since i purchased them, 2 months ago. 60+ hours of skating and they still had some life in them I just wanted to restore the bite I had.

So I got my BlackEdge runners sharpened by the new shop in town that everyone has been raving about. The guy is a former trainer for Custom Edge or something, trained NHL trainers, all that usual BS. Well, picked them up to see that he honed them enough to take the white names off the runners. I guess I should have been clearer when I said they don't need honing. The runners are still black, but I think he ruined them. Did a great job on the radius and finish, but I am disappointed.

Are they going to buy you a new set?

I didn't have a great experience with BE runners. I had very high hopes for them based on the testimonials I read/saw about the product. For me, they didn't perform nearly as well I expected and hoped they would. I felt no improvement in glide or bite over stock RBK/CCM steel. The only improvement that I observed was somewhat improved edge retention over stock steel. The improvement in edge retention was noticeable, but not dramatic. For me, the edge retention of the Black Edge runners is a little better than what I've experienced with Step Steel (which is also better in this area than stock steel, IMO).

Last night, I switched back to Step Steel and immediately noticed improved glide, and a bit more bite than I had with Black Edge runners. I'll keep the BE runners as a backup, since I've already dropped the money on them. I'm disappointed that I could have had two pair of Step Steel runners shipped to me for the same cost (or less) than what I paid for the Black Edge runners online. Even if they were the same price, I'd definitely go with Step Steel over Black Edge runners.

(I have used the same sharpener and hollow for all of the steel I've used recently).

I have been using my BE runners a little more and have started to see some improvement in edge retention even over the Step Steel. I guess I needed a bigger "sample size". I'd consider buying BE runners again for my EPros if I needed them. Depending on the cost difference, I might go with the coated Step Steel, too.

Sorry if missed it anywhere.

Does BlackEdge (for Bauer LS2 holders) have exactly same profile and shape like LSfusion ones?

Is the height different? Are they not taller than StepSteel?

The Pro is supposed to be slightly taller, with a little bit more of a flatter heel.

Can anyone recommend either the Pro versus the Speed ? Going to buy a set for my APX's.

If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, I just threw some BlackEdge Steel on my CCM U+ Crazy Lights and I love them.

Main Differences between the factory blade:

1) Much, MUCH more ridged. You can really feel it making sharp cuts and stopping. I used to feel my old blades bending slightly when i would cut but you can't feel anything on these.

2) Much crisper edges on the blade. They grip the ice better than the factory Perormence Lite steel.

3) Improved glide. Acceleration is easier. You don't have to use as much energy and you actually tell a difference by the third period. Legs arent as tired and you have a little extra hop in your step.

Haven't had them long enough to comment on whether or not they hold their edge longer or not but in a month or so I will throw another comment up here.

Does anyone know if you can get the Step Black Steel runners in Junior sizes? They are available for adults now so I was thinking on picking them up for my new Makos and maybe get them for my daughter as well, as she is a size 2.5-3.

Does anyone know if you can get the Step Black Steel runners in Junior sizes? They are available for adults now so I was thinking on picking them up for my new Makos and maybe get them for my daughter as well, as she is a size 2.5-3.

Blackedge and Step are 2 different companies. Depending on the holder make, yes for both step and blackedge for junior sizes.

Yes, you can get Step Blacksteel in junior sizes, even down to Bauer skate size 1.5 in junior (corresponding to the 210/212 holder size). I have a pair of Blacksteel in this size.

One of my blackedge runners snapped in half during a game when I lost my edge and went feet first into the boards. Not sure if I fell because the steel was already compromised or as a result of the fall it broke. That being said I had my black edge runners for about 2 years and probably sharpened then 9-12 times. Fantastic steel, great glide and bite as well as sharpening-life.

I bit the bullet and decided to try Black Step steel. Interested to see how taller steel well affect sharp turns. Any one know if the sharpening life of Black Step is comparable to Black Edge?

Just wondering if anyone has tried both Step Black Steel and Black Edge runners. Which one is better? What are the differences between them? I did some research and I don't think you can get them for the Easton CXN Mako holder yet. Not sure if they are coming out soon for them. The Step Black Steel is available for the Mako holder so I may have to go with that one. I see also on the Black Edge's website that you can get a custom coating service for your edges if you can't find yours on their list. Anyone try this option? As I could do the custom option as I just bought an extra set of stainless steel runners for my Makos. I would like to get them for myself and my daughter if I like them.