Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caz

Worst and Best Commentators

I have a long hatred for Mike Emrick (and for good reason, anyone who knows hockey, knows exactly what I'm talking about), but Dave Strader is probably my fav.

I know Craig Laughlin (CAPS) personally as a coach, and I like his Color Comm, but lots of people have a different view of him.

Lets hear what you guys think.

EDIT - GUYS WHEN YOU POST WHO YOU LIKE, ALSO POST WHO THEY COMM. FOR PLEASE! THANKS.

Who was doing the Blackhawks vs Blues last night on Versus? I love Olczyk as the analyst but the guy calling the game was putrid. It was like "Oshie has the puck.......long pause....... now it's behind the net...... long pause...... Keith shoots.... wide."

As a Kings fan I love Bob Miller. I think most hockey fans do. Jim Fox gets a lot of crap. Rightfully so.

Who was doing the Blackhawks vs Blues last night on Versus? I love Olczyk as the analyst but the guy calling the game was putrid. It was like "Oshie has the puck.......long pause....... now it's behind the net...... long pause...... Keith shoots.... wide."

As a Kings fan I love Bob Miller. I think most hockey fans do. Jim Fox gets a lot of crap. Rightfully so.

It sounds like Versus picked up the CSN Chicago broadcast team, with Pat Foley doing play-by-play. I like him, but he's not that good at describing details of gameplay. Of course, there's not as much need for that on TV as on radio. Good radio announcers are incredibly hard to find for almost any sport, and seemingly impossible to find working for networks.

I love Doc. I like Joe Beninati on CSN, but not on Versus. And homerism aside, I've always thought Jim Jackson is one of the best play-by-play guys in the league, behind Doc.

PxP is a toss up being Sabres and Flames.

Rick Jeanneret does a great job with play by play for the Sabres.

I disagree with most of what Edwards says but I like listening to him purely for entertainment value.

Pierre McGuire is the most annoying analyst going. Goes on an on about world class this and that. Gushes about every Montreal Canadian, just drives me to the mute button. I do respect his knowledge and his accomplishments but god he just never shuts up..wait he's suppose to talk...lol

Pierre McGuire is the most annoying analyst going. Goes on an on about world class this and that. Gushes about every Montreal Canadian, just drives me to the mute button. I do respect his knowledge and his accomplishments but god he just never shuts up..wait he's suppose to talk...lol

Pierre is a funny guy. You know when people are so passionate about something that they become kinda... for lack of a better term... nerdy about the subject? His knowledge of hockey is so immense that I really do believe it's all he does and it's all he knows. His passion for hockey is so beyond the realm of "normal" that he gets ecstatic at even the slightest thing involving hockey (IT'S A DOUBLE DION!). It's pretty cool to see but yeah it can get annoying. He's awesome for a good laugh and an occasional bit of insight. But sometimes it's like he just wants to hear himself talk.

Ok, so full disclosure: I'm from Texas. But with that said, I honestly believe that "Razor" (Daryl Reaugh) is one of the best color commentators in the business. He's a bit verbose at times, but surprisingly fair...and hilarious.

No, he doesn't.

I must concede that RJ is not a "great" announcer, but I grew up in Buffalo and I love him. In my opinion, Doc Emrick is the best.

Jack Edwards of NESN & the Bruins is horrible.

If he's the guy I always have to mute when I watch a Boston feed, then yes, he is the worst.

If he's the guy I always have to mute when I watch a Boston feed, then yes, he is the worst.

YES. That would be the one......

A couple of years ago NESN was promoting this. I think they got a lot of complaints from parents so it went away quickly.

rask2_300.jpg

I've always hated Emrick. My ideal booth would be Jim Hughson and Steve Coates.

I'm sorry, but Coatesy is an excuse-making ass. I think he drinks heavily before every game. He's a great guy, and he'd be fun to knock a few back with, but during the games he is just way too much of a homer.

Best would have to be the guys in StL in my opinion. very good call every time i've gotten to hear them. And Bob Miller will always rule for being the play by play guy in MD2.

Worst is Jack Edwards hands down. his homerism is borderline fanatical.

Pierre is from Jersey and acts like he's a Canadian.

Love Rick Jeanneret,

Don't Mind Emrick

The SJ guys are funny

I like John Forslund

LOVE Joe Beninati

I HATE the senators guy.

Panger's my fav guy

I agree, I love Panger. I met him in Chicago, he is a great guy. I would love to see him and Emrick together, although eddie is not that bad. I think the Red wing crew of Daniels/Redmond is one of the best I have heard.

I'm sorry, but Coatesy is an excuse-making ass. I think he drinks heavily before every game. He's a great guy, and he'd be fun to knock a few back with, but during the games he is just way too much of a homer.

Best would have to be the guys in StL in my opinion. very good call every time i've gotten to hear them. And Bob Miller will always rule for being the play by play guy in MD2.

Worst is Jack Edwards hands down. his homerism is borderline fanatical.

Pierre is from Jersey and acts like he's a Canadian.

This is exactly why he secured my nomination.

I also don't understand all the people bemoaning, "But he's suuuch a homer, he's so unfairrr," and this is not particular to Coatesy. But in his instance, and many others, Coatesy is a paid Flyers broadcaster, broadcasting on networks owned by the people who own the Flyers. I'm pretty sure there's a bit of homerism implied there, if you happen to be an impartial fan tuning into one of these broadcasts that's unfortunate. Really, until a guy starts slobbing all over a team in a national broadcast, hold judgment.

I really don't know which play-by-play guys I like, as much as I know who I can't stand. Both Jack Edwards and Doc Emrick have annoying voices, as well as both seem to put a lot of effort into using phrases that are more "look at me" and less "this is what's happening."

Brickley does a fine job as color commentator.

Jack Edwards of NESN & the Bruins is horrible.

I do like Strader as well but don't have a favorite.

Agreed about Edwards. Strader FTW.

Who was doing the Blackhawks vs Blues last night on Versus?

Most-likely Emrick, maybe I am off my rocker, but I'm 99% positive he does ALL the VS, and NBC broadcasted games. READ BELOW if you want my opinion on Doc.

Drew Remenda and Darren Peng are my color favorites

PxP is a toss up being Sabres and Flames.

Ahhh, Peng'r. I still remember when you slipped up saying Subban did something the "White" way, then corrected himself saying the "right" way.

RACIST! ROFL, JK.

Personally, I love Mike "Doc" Emrick. Absolutely great guy outside of the hockey world as well.

I In my opinion, Doc Emrick is the best.

NO WAY. HOW AND WHY DO YOU LIKE HIM? I find him a disgrace to the game, and certainly tries to explain the details of the play FAR too much for those of us (90% of the people who watch hockey) who know how the game is played.

Too bad he is on Pittsburgh Penguins radio now, but Mike Lange was like no other! Easily the best and most exciting play caller in hockey!