Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flashyprince

Best hockey tape?

Does anyone make a thin width tape, like in the 1/2" to 3/4" range? I like having a lot of ridges, I've always just ripped my tape in half, but would love to buy some tape that already came in a thinner width.

When I tried Sportstape I wore through the tape on the bottom of the blade in about 20 minutes. Didn't last nearly long enough for me. I've used Jaybird for the last 10 years and it's probably all I'll ever use. I'd say about 5% of the rolls have 'defective' adhesive where it doesn't stick to itself the greatest (still does, but comes off over time). However, if you wax your blade like I do (Zog's, of course), this isn't a problem. Apart from this, you can't get a better roll of tape.

What do you guys honeslty think is the best tape? There's a lot of companies out there. I personally use Howie's and being a goalie, I have found out it holds up the best when taking pucks to the blade. I also know the guys on my team use it for their sticks and shins and they love it. But how does it compare to the other stuff?

Just curious about kind of tape most people use. I've heard good things about both- pros and cons. I hope it will be a lively discussion.

not a fan of Howies, Renfrew with a bit of wax works for me... I re-tape every time I go to the rink though so brand isn't a huge deal honestly... tape is tape haha

I'm particular, and I find Howie's friction tape lasts longer, tears up less, and also doesn't have that stupid "edge string thing" going on, like the renfro. I'm on my 2nd bulk box from there, no way I'm going back to renfro..

Anyone know if there is spots tape in the NYC area? I'm using jaybird an howies, but would like to try something different.

For the grip portion at the top of my stick going to have to say SportsTape the gauze kind. For shin and blade tape Howies is the way to go. Their shin tape is the only one I have found that actually has some stretch to it so you don't feel like your going to get cramps for taping too tight.

If any of you guys wants to make sure your tape doesn't come off the blade from puck damage etc. or you want your friction tape to stick and last for ages, try 3M super 77 and if you want extra adhesion scuff the blade up with some sand paper if its smooth. the tape can be removed by hand still but it wont come apart on you once its on the blade.