Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thefelixculpa

Outdoor Rinks In Downtown Pittsburgh?

I just got a new job in Downtown Pittsburgh and will be moving there permanently from about 5 hours away at the end of this week. Can anybody recommend a decent outdoor hockey rink located in or around the downtown area? I'm familiar with some of the ice/roller facilities and leagues in the area, however what I am interested in finding at the moment is a nice hole in the wall outdoor roller hockey rink with smooth concrete, somewhere I could stop by in my free time to get a little exercise and maybe join some pick up games.

I was able to find this little guide through a Google search, though I am not sure how up to date it is. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jclopez/hockey/hockeydecks.html I tried using Google Maps to get a visual on them, however I could only find the Bloomfield rink.

If anyone knows of a decent rink located in a relatively safe area, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

I just got a new job in Downtown Pittsburgh and will be moving there permanently from about 5 hours away at the end of this week. Can anybody recommend a decent outdoor hockey rink located in or around the downtown area? I'm familiar with some of the ice/roller facilities and leagues in the area, however what I am interested in finding at the moment is a nice hole in the wall outdoor roller hockey rink with smooth concrete, somewhere I could stop by in my free time to get a little exercise and maybe join some pick up games.

I was able to find this little guide through a Google search, though I am not sure how up to date it is. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jclopez/hockey/hockeydecks.html I tried using Google Maps to get a visual on them, however I could only find the Bloomfield rink.

If anyone knows of a decent rink located in a relatively safe area, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

There is an outdoor roller rink in South Park. Its about 20 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. Its on corrigan drive

Thanks for the replies guys...

Closest one to downtown probably is in Greentree in the Parkway Center Mall complex. Locate it on google maps and you'll see the outdoor rink.

I looked at google and found a pretty nice looking rink next to some baseball fields, I'm assuming this is what you referred to. Can you tell me what the surface is like, and if you are free to skate on it whenever you want? Thank you.

Yes you found it. You can skate there whenever it's part of a community park. The surface last time I was there 2 yrs ago was just run of the mill smooth asphalt. Decent shape not a lot of cracks in it but it's definitely rough on wheels

would just like to update this, the roller rink on corregan, now has a kind of indoor surface on it now. which is still i've found a little bit rough on the wheels. it's nice because we can finally play puck on it, only downfall is it becomes ridiculously slippery with very little rain.