Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trevor13478

2011 MLB Thread

So let me get this straight...you're not as emotionally invested because they aren't a winning team? Fair-weather much?

I think it's the opposite... they're not emotionally invested because the Red Sox became a winning team. What made it cool to be a Red Sox (and Cubs) fan is that they always failed and did so in such epic fashion. For red sox fans failure moments like Buckner is what sparked their emotional connection to the game. When the Sox started winning, that connection was destroyed and they became just another team who'd recently won a championship.

LOL I guess you didn't hear what happened...

His wife has breast cancer. But right before the Sunday start, TMZ found out that Lackey had drawn up divorce papers, and someone sent Lackey a text message before he hit the field.

So let me get this straight...you're not as emotionally invested because they aren't a winning team? Fair-weather much?

No, I was aware of that story, but Lackey glares at Francona after being taken out from EVERY start, which happens often when the ERA is 6.41 -- and 9.13 in September!

Fair-weathered? Please, JR. I've timed vacations around when the Sox will be in a city; I read articles all over the web about them; I'll sit and "watch" the games on MLB.com if they're not on TV; and I could tell you about players throughout their minor league system.

But the consensus among my friends is we'd be pulling our hair out if we were going onto 93 years of no championship and this collapse occurred. It would go down in infamy. Instead, because of 2004 and 2007, we can look at it logically that championship teams don't blow leads like the Sox have, so despite having the best record in baseball for four months of the year, they obviously aren't a championship level team, because the games in April and September count just as much as the games in May through August. Sure, injuries took a toll, but it's just evidence they weren't a championship level team.

That said, they've had the best offense in MLB, so if they get into the playoffs and Beckett and Lester right themselves, that could be enough to win a seven game series against any team. The question is whether their collective psyche will be able to put September into the past.

EDIT: I was confusing Lackey's starts. It was the one before the Spankee start when he gave up 8 runs in 4 innings and glared that Francona came to take him out.

Unbelievable!! As an Orioles fan this is AWESOME. Living in Massachusetts & with all the crap I deal with I will really enjoy this off season.

First place on September 1 & a 9 game lead on the 2nd & they don't make the playoffs! :laugh:

Based on most of the Sox fans I've spoken with, I think they are going to be less crushed than you realize because it was a slow leak we could see coming.

I agree that they won't be crushed like 03 or 86. I was referring more to the fact that friends & relatives that are Red Sox fans won't have a lot to say to me.

Really? Won't have a lot to say? Tell me which is worse, flopping in September due to some injury issues and missing the playoffs by one strike or being completely out of the race in May?

Really? Won't have a lot to say? Tell me which is worse, flopping in September due to some injury issues and missing the playoffs by one strike or being completely out of the race in May?

My point exactly. They went 2 - 5 against a horrible team in the last 2 weeks of the year.

And then having some players use every excuse. Everything but taking responsibility for there own play.

Adrian Gonzalez saying that they played too many night games & it was tough physically on him. Please if it's that hard on you maybe you should go back & play for San Diego.

Adrian Gonzalez saying that they played too many night games & it was tough physically on him.

While I agree with you mostly, the context of his quote is important. He was referring to all the nationally televised games on getaway days, meaning they'd arrive at cities at 4am. In fact, I remember reading a strange factoid that the Sox at one point had won around seven or nine straight road series, yet had lost the first game of all of them.

Gonzo was saying the networks could put other teams on national TV, not that I agree with him, because I wouldn't see the Sox in that case.....

While I agree with you mostly, the context of his quote is important. He was referring to all the nationally televised games on getaway days, meaning they'd arrive at cities at 4am. In fact, I remember reading a strange factoid that the Sox at one point had won around seven or nine straight road series, yet had lost the first game of all of them.

Gonzo was saying the networks could put other teams on national TV, not that I agree with him, because I wouldn't see the Sox in that case.....

That's the price you pay if want the big money & play on a big market team. There is a reason you don't see the Orioles vs. Royals on Sunday night baseball. Because they both SUCK.

He could have very easily asked for an extension with the Padres last year for reasonable money.

He also said it wasn't in God's plans for them to make the playoffs. Then he also said: "Anytime a team that doesn't make the playoffs and should have, it's because of injuries."

In all sports I just love it when stars want the big contract & then when they get it they don't want all the pressure & responsibility that goes with it.

It's official. http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7040260/terry-francona-boston-red-sox-part-ways-two-titles Terry is gonzo.

Before the pile of excuses from injuries flow in from Red Sox nation, can we all remember that the fit, healthy, fresh, new look Red Sox started 0-6 and 2-10? That seems fairly important right now.

Ok enough piling on. Very disappointed that Verlanders start was a wash because of the rainout today. Brutal way to begin the postseason. Early word is that Fister continues game 1 tomorrow, Scherzer in game 2, and then Verlander in game 3 on Monday. Leylands promise not to start Verlander on 3 days rest lasted exactly two innings when you really think about it.

Before the pile of excuses from injuries flow in from Red Sox nation, can we all remember that the fit, healthy, fresh, new look Red Sox started 0-6 and 2-10? That seems fairly important right now.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. There are two schools of thought I've read in the Boston papers regarding their slow start. The prevailing theory is four of their starters (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkilis and Gonzalez) were returning from season ending injuries or offseason surgery, so they were brought along slowly in spring training -- I recall Gonzo and Youkilis particularly didn't have a lot of at bats. The second thought is too many players overall weren't fit and healthy, although that's been presented almost as backward reasoning: "they started slowly, so they must have been out of shape, right?"

It's got to be frustrating for teams that they pay millions of dollars, yet get some of these players at only 85% shape. Beckett and Papi always carry extra weight. Lester looked like he got heavier over the season. Papelbon dropped 20 pounds and had a great year until the last outing, when he reverted back to only throwing fastballs, but guess what? It's a contract year, so this winter he paid attention to what he was eating.

Not too happy about the rainout; Yanks were counting on two starts by CC, now there's a possibility of seeing Burnett in Game 4, which scares the shit out of me.

CC was on point last night, Verlander looked shaky - I think the Yankees would've gotten to him if that game had continued. Oh well, nothing can be done about the rain :(

Gonzo said in his post game that Dice K would have been another 10 wins...............I couldn't believe he said it when I heard the clip on the hub the next morning.

Add that to his long list of excuses.

I think both AL series should be close. I'm pulling for the Tigers because they are my Father's & late Grandfather's favorite team.

Gonzo said in his post game that Dice K would have been another 10 wins...............I couldn't believe he said it when I heard the clip on the hub the next morning.

Dice-K was frustrating to watch because he nibbled the corners, but it wouldn't have been unrealistic to expect a 12-10 record for him -- even last year he was 9-6 in 25 starts -- which would have been better than the 13-14 combined of Wakefield, Weiland and Miller.

However, Buchholz was a much bigger loss than Dice-K, because it put Wakefield into the rotation at a time when he was chasing after a milestone. I'm convinced that Wake's search for his 200th win was the beginning of the end for them, because his skills had deteriorated to the point that there's no way he would have been given eight straight starts if they weren't trying to get him that win.