Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton SyNergy EQ50 Skate

* I will be fielding any questions on the EQ50 skate in the Easton SyNergy EQ50 Skate Initial Thoughts thread.

Following up on the initial try-on, went into the shop to profile and bake the skate.

I am sticking with the Easton RBII holders, as I want to try to test the skate out of the box. Am hoping to get a set of NanoGlide runners as well. I profiled them to an 11' neutral, will skate first to see if I need to slide a heel lift in there.

The skate is meant to be baked at 200 degrees for 4 minutes. Preheated oven and stuck them in at the 4 minute mark.

The skate came out quite pliable - very good wrap was achieved when I laced up. It did pull in that right skate better - although I kept on having to make sure the tongue was straight.

Minimal hotspots - no pressure anywhere on the boot.

I will be sharpening them later today and most likely skating on them on Tuesday afternoon.

Sharpened them today and took them out for their first skate.

I lasted 25 min. Feet hurt too much.

It is normal for me; I have sensitive feet - they swell up pretty quickly. Same thing happened to me on my first skate with the TotalONE at MSHWF V. I do have a process for breaking them in and I'm starting on that now. All of the pain is on the bottoms of my feet - nothing wrong with the ankle or anything.

However, other than the pain, the skates were pretty good. Forward flexion was good, it didn't feel awkward or anything, just a lot of pain. The runners are okay - they were improved from the regular Parabolic, but would probably feel more comfortable on a non-Parabolic or NanoGlide blade. I am pretty sure I have non-Parabolic 296s in the garage from my S15s, will have to find them. I won't be removing the holders.

But, so far, so good. So, wearing them around the house, then another bake, then more of that before round 2.

Due to my trip last week, haven't been on them again. The home break-in process has been going well.

Just got something today that made the review a bit more interesting.

nano.jpg

nano2.jpg

I will be reviewing NanoGlide in a separate LTR.

Skated in them yesterday -

They are doing better. Still a bit of pain when taking them off but they are breaking in just fine. No problem with forward flexion.

The real struggle came after I took them off. Every vein in my feet were bulging after I took them off, and took about 5 min for the pain to subside. I was in the locker room with a friend and he couldn't believe it. I told him that I'm used to it and it happens with every skate I wear.