Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

RPD Shift vs Team (skate). What are the biggest differences? Per the specs, it looks like it's just the quarter material right? Just wondering if that's with the $100 price difference. 

Thanks

Edited by MD56

17 hours ago, MD56 said:

RPD Shift vs Team (skate). What are the biggest differences? Per the specs, it looks like it's just the quarter material right? Just wondering if that's with the $100 price difference. 

Thanks

wheel upgrade: millenium --- dynasty

bearing upgrad: abec9 ---- swiss lite

and the upgraded quarter which you mentioned.  Personally id do the upgrade for the quarter as after discount its a 80$ difference in price. the other two do not matter as much to me as i would just throw bones swiss in there and a new set of konixx and sell the labeda wheels.

I had the teams and now have the shift.  That said i would drop the money on the shifts.  The shift boot is stiffer.  The bearings are better as well.  The difference in the quarters is the big deal with them.

If the decision was purely based on bang for the buck, I think you'd have a hard time beating the Shifts. Found some on Amazon for well under $300. 

The thing that ended up getting me was the fit. I have a narrow heel and RPD's felt a bit wider than my old CA's. Ended up going with Mission's just on fit. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

I'm thinking to get the Alkali RPD Lite (I'm a begginer/entry) but according to some shops its width is "E" . I have also watched the Alkali RPD Lite R, but it is impossible to buy them in Europe. I wear an ice skates Bauer X300 12R (My best fit is 11.5R). Will I have some issues if I buy the Alkali RPD Lite 12? Are they going to be too width?

Im looking at getting rpe zenith. Im using 1n in an 8.5ee they fit like a glove. Lot of people i know have said alkali come up small wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Was thinking of going for a skate size 9

I've been watching their stock and they were almost out of the Shifts but recently got a bunch more in. It could be a last push of some stock that was sitting somewhere?

I love a lot of the concepts in this boot, though the RPE's have them as well: aggressive forward angle, flexy but reinforced tendon guard, good wrap on the forefoot and extended toecap under the first laces. I'm not sure what size I would need though, and don't really need a new pair of skates yet.

It's such a shame Alkali wasn't sold to Warrior instead. They could have been a great addition to the company and a rival on the ice skate market. It was nice having Justin Hoffman's design evolve and such a shame it got abruptly cut off just as it got to the RPD/RPE iteration :/

• Like 4

On 30/06/2017 at 8:12 PM, flip12 said:

It's such a shame Alkali wasn't sold to Warrior instead. They could have been a great addition to the company and a rival on the ice skate market. It was nice having Justin Hoffman's design evolve and such a shame it got abruptly cut off just as it got to the RPD/RPE iteration :/

Quoted for truth.

• Like 2

Can anyone help me out with an issue - my Alkali RPD Team skates have been giving me problems. The ankle pads are so pronounced that it cuts off blood flow to my foot when I wear them. I can't skate for more than 15mins before my little toe goes numb.

What can I do about this?

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, salibandy said:

Can anyone help me out with an issue - my Alkali RPD Team skates have been giving me problems. The ankle pads are so pronounced that it cuts off blood flow to my foot when I wear them. I can't skate for more than 15mins before my little toe goes numb.

What can I do about this?

How do you tie your skates?

Price just dropped again at IW and HockeyMonkey.

RPD Max is now 389.99.

RPD Shift is now 249.99.

Very little size selection left. I wish they had my size.

Edited by MiloJanus

According to their facebook

Glad they're still making skates. I thought Visium was part of the RPE line with wider width? 

My current shift+ skates are getting soft so I'm looking forward to trying out  new skates.

• Like 1

Great - glad I didn't buy any of the current skates then. 

2018 Visium 2 -$299.99 with Magnesium Chassis, Pro Stiffness, Actv Wick Dry Liner, Labeda Millenium Wheels, Swiss Bearings! Available Q4 17'!

That is a much better skate at the same price that I paid for my Team+ assuming they're Purlyn and not nylon.

Is Nylon significantly worst than Purlyn? 

I love the fit of the Alkali skates but my skates get soft really fast.

Shift = soft within year and outsole separation

Shift+  soft within year and outsole separation as well.

I weigh 165 and play 2-4 times a week so that probably has an impact on the skates. Would love to give Alkali one more shot with the new skates but not if the boot material is worst than previous versions. 

Soft overall or in a particular area of the boot?

I haven't worn Alkali, but I'm familiar with the concepts from trying several Mission roller and ice boots from the golden, pre-Bauer days. I'm used to them getting soft at the top, which seems to be the point of the notched facing. I happen to like it, but I can see where it wouldn't be what everyone's into.

Given the choice, I'd go with Purlyn over Nylon. Also, I'd go with the Alkali boot Justin Hoffman had a hand in developing and having manufactured rather than what's coming from the Tron folks.

The entire boot goes soft and doesn't feel good pushing or stopping.

I didn't realize that Tron purchased Alkali, not sure what to expect anymore. Seems like a waste to have a magnesium chassis on a cheaper boot but someone thought it was a good idea.

Maybe I'll convert an ice skate with the Alkali chassis or purchase another pair of Shift+ on clearance. 

That doesn't sound nice.

Yeah, it's a shame, as I thought they were really on a great track. If I were on the ice more, I'd get a pair of Shift+ to convert, but I'm not on the ice frequent enough for another pet skate project. It's still sad to see that development stop dead in its tracks.

Guys,

First off don't worry about the "Tron Guys" building the skates.  Joe is still running Alkali and was always part of the development and creation of the original Alkali skates.  He knows what he is doing.  Also, he came to me for my opinions and thoughts on the skates, and I helped tweak the design, colors, fit, etc.  As for the Nylon vs purlyn argument, the new skates that were launched have plenty of stiffness and durability from my experience.

Wow, timing couldn't have been better! I just stumbled upon this forum after 10+ years away from the game and read through this novel of a thread while waiting for my membership to clear, wanted to share my story/thoughts. I just went on a roller coaster while reading this thread of should I/shouldn't I try out a pair of Alkalis and Justin's response couldn't have come at a better time.

Long story short, I recently spent an afternoon in the major hockey retailer nearby outfitting myself head-to-toe. Needless to say, the game has certainly changed (hmm, perhaps a separate thread) and when it got time to check out the skates I immediate said to the Rep who was assisting me, "Aside from my brief stint with V-forms, I've only worn Missions." He suggested a pair and I tried them on. As I (uncomfortably) skated around the area I noticed these unfamiliar looking skates on the wall with a design that conjured up thoughts of the OG "Wicked Lights". For a second I thought they were "Nexed" but I later found out that they folded, but alas they were Alkali. I asked him about them and the Rep immediately shut them down. He was relentless, to the point I jokingly asked if the skates had killed his dog. I really wish I had stumbled upon this place before making that purchase. I ended up with the current pair of uncomfortable Missions that the Rep said would feel better over time, even after baking, but they just don't feel like the Missions I was so fond of back then. For starters, I thought the front wheels looked bigger than I remember, I can barely tighten the axles or else the wheels barely spin, and the stance on them just feels off. Really looking forward to the Visium 2's coming this fall!

Edited by riprop
wrong model

3 hours ago, riprop said:

Wow, timing couldn't have been better! I just stumbled upon this forum after 10+ years away from the game and read through this novel of a thread while waiting for my membership to clear, wanted to share my story/thoughts. I just went on a roller coaster while reading this thread of should I/shouldn't I try out a pair of Alkalis and Justin's response couldn't have come at a better time.

Long story short, I recently spent an afternoon in the major hockey retailer nearby outfitting myself head-to-toe. Needless to say, the game has certainly changed (hmm, perhaps a separate thread) and when it got time to check out the skates I immediate said to the Rep who was assisting me, "Aside from my brief stint with V-forms, I've only worn Missions." He suggested a pair and I tried them on. As I (uncomfortably) skated around the area I noticed these unfamiliar looking skates on the wall with a design that conjured up thoughts of the OG "Wicked Lights". For a second I thought they were "Nexed" but I later found out that they folded, but alas they were Alkali. I asked him about them and the Rep immediately shut them down. He was relentless, to the point I jokingly asked if the skates had killed his dog. I really wish I had stumbled upon this place before making that purchase. I ended up with the current pair of uncomfortable Missions that the Rep said would feel better over time, even after baking, but they just don't feel like the Missions I was so fond of back then. For starters, I thought the front wheels looked bigger than I remember, I can barely tighten the axles or else the wheels barely spin, and the stance on them just feels off. Really looking forward to the Visium 2's coming this fall!

if any retailer is pushing you to a skate generically, you probably should choose a different retailer. not every skate fits everyones feet. my alkali stuff has been pretty good, but I think the fit is a bit off for me, so I am probably going to be doing a conversion soon.

So after some research I've decided to order a pair of max+ skates in an 8.5. I'm a 10 in most footwear and pure hockey only had 8.5 or 9.5 which I currently have and feel are too big. Worse case scenario I can order them elsewhere in a 9 and return the 8.5 to my local store. 

Im sure the tips are everywhere but does anyone have any tips for sizing the skates and making sure the skates are the right fit. My current alkalis I can slide my right foot forward and fit almost 2 finger in the back. My 9 makos are basically perfect and fit in 8.5 current gen missions.