Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I am going to try the skates on on Saturday. I really want to stick with a straight-80 set-up, but am afraid that the forward pitch will be a tough transition from my Tour's.... I have a lot of weight on the front end as it is!!!

I switched from Tour's for 8 years to the CA9's and while it is different, its far better. I felt unreal last night and very comfortable.

Are there any retailers in the area that are selling Alkali right now? Detroit MI area, currently one of the league directors here and would love to find a shop with Alkali gear.

Btw, hello AENutrition and InlinePro77 :rolleyes:

Hello Sir! Gorney has some stock out at Total right now. Hopefully a couple other of our watering holes will have them shortly. Feel free to text me with any questions on them so far(same number from Drev if you still have it).

Sorry InlinePro77, i'm one of those guys that wants to support our little shops!

Justin, I will head to TRH! Much appreciated!

Also, can you please check your email? Sent you a few things over the last few weeks. Thanks!

I grabbed a pair of Alkali Hockey CA9 Skates this week and just skated in them last night for the first time. Here are my initial thoughts:

-Extremely comfortable. The ankle padding feels awesome and provides a great heel lock(something I have been hard pressed to find). The boot itself is very comfortable especially after baking them. The toe cap feels great and provides enough space for my wide feet. The tongue is one of my favorite features and adds a great level of comfort as well.

-Fast. Very fast. The aggressive set up with the strong forward pitch and all 80mm wheels produces an extremely explosive feel to the skate. I can not really use words to describe it..but it feels good.

-Tighter turning radius. I feel high off the ground on the CA9's and have noticed a far superior turning radius with then on. Last night I felt a ton more agile and responsive than normal.

Overall the skate looks impressive as hell, and feels even better. I've got 7 games over the weekend to break these bad boys in and I can't wait.

Sorry InlinePro77, i'm one of those guys that wants to support our little shops!

Justin, I will head to TRH! Much appreciated!

Also, can you please check your email? Sent you a few things over the last few weeks. Thanks!

Jay Russell handles the team side of the business. I will make sure he contacts you once he gets back from AAU Winternationals.

Jay Russell handles the team side of the business. I will make sure he contacts you once he gets back from AAU Winternationals.

Much appreciated! Good work with everything so far btw! Looking very forward to getting a pair of CA9s!

AENutrition... did you have them baked?

Yes, 10 minutes with a 30 minute fit(had fun flirting with the puck bunnies).

They are extremely comfortable. I had a training skate last night with skate weights, speed chutes, evasion bands and other stuff...and the pop I get coming out of turns and stops is very noticeable.

I personally have mixed feelings about switching the chassis. I have been meaning to write an in-depth review but I'm still forming my opinion. My balance on the Vanguard with these skates just feels a little off. I cant tell yet if it's all in my head, or if its because the skates have neither been baked or fully broken in yet (baking is happening over the holiday break), or if it's simply an adjustment period coming from a Bauer boot. In my very short test skate before switching the frame I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of it, I was just very hesitant to make the switch.

One thing I can say is that this boot is by far the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, I feel like it's made for my feet and I cant wait to bake them to see if the hype about the heat molding in these skates is true.

Assume you have them as stock skates? No changes to chassis?

Am thinking of getting a pair, but might swap them to sprungs.

Yes, stock. I don't see a need to change anything on them at all.

I personally have mixed feelings about switching the chassis. I have been meaning to write an in-depth review but I'm still forming my opinion. My balance on the Vanguard with these skates just feels a little off. I cant tell yet if it's all in my head, or if its because the skates have neither been baked or fully broken in yet (baking is happening over the holiday break), or if it's simply an adjustment period coming from a Bauer boot. In my very short test skate before switching the frame I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of it, I was just very hesitant to make the switch.

One thing I can say is that this boot is by far the most comfortable thing I've ever worn, I feel like it's made for my feet and I cant wait to bake them to see if the hype about the heat molding in these skates is true.

I could imagine the Vanguar throwing them off a little with how strong the pitch is and the way the skates are designed. I think leaving the stock mag chassis and 80's on...you would have adapted very quickly to it. Skating, turning and stoping all feel much more fluid compared to the tour boot/hum'mer set up.

I concur regarding the boot. Baked...they're unreal. Seriously I could leave them on for 8 hours every day. I've got another 8 games in a Christmas tourney next week..can't wait.

hey Justin, Any word on getting these skates to a shop in NJ? I really dont wanna drive to LI to try these bad boys on... But if I have too I will try to make the time.

Hockeymonkey carries Alkali, maybe the store in Woodbridge will have them. I'll probably be goin there over the Holiday, I'll let you know if I see them.

Hey Sdcopp,

Can you comment or give a more in depth description on the rake of the boot and how it feels/impacts your skating, etc?

I understand it keeps you on the balls of your feet more, but does it impact your knee band at all in your stride/turning?

thanks

I can't say that it affects/impacts my knee bend one way or another. I did drop the top eyelet so I could get the right forward flex around my ankle to feel natural. The tendon guard is quite flexible so there's no locked forward feeling when striding or turning. It's not so aggressively forward that it feels like you're nose diving, it's a pretty natural posture.

The Mission T9s I've been using before the CA9s are definitely a more neutral stance, but low enough that forward lean to get onto the balls of your feet is easier than if they were a taller boot that laced up higher and locked you back a little. The other part to remember is that the Alkali do have a fairly true foot shape since the back of your foot and ankle isn't straight up and down, but protruding at the heel. Revision achieved a decent forward stance in their Vanquish boots with how the padding is placed along the back of the boot even though their boot is extremely rigid all the way through the tendon guard, where the CA9 uses less padding in that area since the rake helps your foot naturally into the skating stance and the flex of the tendon guard allows the recurve back in a stride..

Sorry for the novel of a reply, but I figured I'd be thorough. I can't provide any comparison for Tour or Reebok users as my foot just doesn't fit either brand. I am really impressed with the CA9s, and they get more comfortable to use with every skate. For an initial offering these are a home run so far. Boot durability will be the big key for me, and knowing who is behind the product I do have some good feelings about it holding up. A big thanks to Justin and JR again for setting me up for the LTR.

Justin, do these skates HAVE to be heat molded? I tried them on at the shop and was getting insane heel lift (you said the heels were narrow?). Would a bake remedy this?

I noticed this as well...BUT only when I was barefoot. When I wore socks I had no issues. Maybe that was the problem.

@Kovy and Stock:I haven't noticed any heel lift at all, but I don't skate barefoot either. I switched to thin liner type socks from Ultimax several years ago from barefoot, so something like that may be worth a shot. I do suggest a bake though as it makes quite a difference with these boots.

@Justin: on the jr sized skates why did you choose such small wheel sizes? Both Tour and Reebok models I've been looking at for my daughter are using 72mm wheels starting at size 1, where IW is showing CA3s using 59mm on sz 1-2 and 68mm on sz 3-4.

My other question is I see all the stick patterns listed as 5 lie, is that a typo or true 5 lie on all of them?

Edited by sdcopp

We believe the larger wheels are the junior skates effects their maneuverability and speed. The extra weight of the larger wheels also hurts them. As for the sticks, are patterns are exact copies of the following curves from Easton:

A17 - Iginla

A33 - Hall

A47 - Parise

A77 - Cammalleri

Where can I get a price on alkali gloves that would ship to Australia?

Looked at most of the dealers listed on the site but none have the gloves listed on there websites...

Hockeygiant has the ca9 glove listed at $90usd and the ca5 listed at $60. Their estimated arrival date is January 15th and January 12th

I checked them maybe I missed it ^.^ loving the CHAR/ORG Ca5 !!!!