Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton NanoGlide runners

Over the past few years, manufacturers have been paying attention to skate runners; particularly weight reduction, less drag and edge retention. In the past few years, we've seen CCM with the Rocket Runner which was marketed as a disposable blade, Bauer with their LS2 Fusion (which is a hybrid aluminum/stainless mix to bring down weight) and Step Steel selling higher-grade stainless runners as OEM replacements. Nitinol runners (which is a nickel/titanium alloy) have also been on the marketplace for some time now, boasting flexibility and edge retention.

Easton had a concept, but we never saw it at retail.

nano.jpg

nano2.jpg

When the S17 Black skate was shown in pictures, it had a dark runner on it. It was replaced at the last minute, and currently stands as a pro-only option.

As a sharpener as well as a skater, it intrigued me; I'm always willing to try something new runner-wise, and I have tried almost all of the concepts to date spare Nitinol.

NanoGlide's story is a highly-polished stainless runner, then coated with a nano material which hardens the runner's edge, resulting in better edge retention. The package comes with a special honing pad with diamond-coated patch which is designed to polish the blade. Due to the nano coating, it leaves a very small burr. However, if a standard grit stone is used, it would strip the coating from the runner. An aggressive wheel is recommended to sharpen; on the Blackstone side, Black Walnut, and for Blademaster, an 8MX Ruby - so no special wheel required.

One thing that Easton has done with it is made sure that the blades are consistent from tip to tip - and from what I have heard from others who have used NanoGlide, they have told me exactly that. It was a bit of work to get it to seat in the RazorBladz II holder - had to shave the channels a little bit; did not have to resort to a heat gun.

Since I need a crossgrinder, I will be taking them to the rink. Video to follow.

Went ahead and shot video of me sharpening the runners for the first time.

As stated, I used an 8MXRuby wheel and a pink cross-grinding wheel. The sparks initially tended to be white, and not yellow like on regular runners. Now, the cross-grinding wheel is a bit soft, but I went ahead and redressed the wheel and tried sharpening the second skate (no video) without cross-grinding, and it didn't leave a mark on the runner.

So, what I have gotten out of this is; other than the cross-grinding, there was not much work to be done when it came to actually sharpening the skate. I did the same amount of passes that I do on a standard stainless runner and was satisfied with the result. Once you got down to the stainless, it didn't take any additional effort to sharpen.

The next step for me is actually skating on it and then I will chart how many sessions I could go without getting them redone.

but I went ahead and redressed the wheel and tried sharpening the second skate (no video) without cross-grinding, and it didn't leave a mark on the runner.

Adding to this; I think this is a pretty cool albeit inadvertent feature, and I'll tell you why -

For those who end up with "banana blades" due to sharpeners stressing the toe/heel radii; if you can't sharpen what hasn't been crossground, surely that'd mean that the toe/heel profiles would be maintained as long as the coating stays on there.

Skated for them the first time. As I have noted in the past, the RBII dramatically take a positive turn when skating with solid runners; imagine a stiffer/lighter Tuuk Custom +. Skated for a full hour, no nicks on the blade and still really sharp.

I also received the honing tool yesterday. Here is what it looks like -

nanopad.jpg

I was bored, so I did this:

t1nano.jpg

Skated for the first time in a couple of months; took the TotalONEs out for a spin as the EQ50s just aren't game-ready (SummerJam is next week)

Also, sharpened them with 95/50 FBV (first time on that as well) with a 1/16" heel lift and 11' radius.

Skates felt phenomenal, I, however didn't. Long road to recovery for me.

I've long said that Easton holders really get a bum rap. They are lighter than LS2s and feel like a stiffer Tuuk Custom Plus. For bigger guys, the solid steel is a must (Easton sells it as well as STEP.

Skated on them at SummerJam - the TotalONEs.

The EQ50 just aren't game-ready, so I took the TOs.

Dare I say this is the best steel I've ever skated on?

Something about me; when I find a product I truly believe in, I will make sure I'll never run out.

nanostock.jpg

:)

Thanks to Terry Serpa and everyone at Easton for this. I've got steel for life!