Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vitaminchi

California hockey

i'm headed out to san diego/huntington beach/culver city for 2.5 weeks in august (18th-31st) and wanted to get in a few skates out there. anyone know some good rinks? ice and/or roller would be nice...any info would be much appreciated.

thanks,

chi

i'm headed out to san diego/huntington beach/culver city for 2.5 weeks in august (18th-31st) and wanted to get in a few skates out there. anyone know some good rinks? ice and/or roller would be nice...any info would be much appreciated.

thanks,

chi

San Diego County:

Escondido - Iceoplex

Mira Mesa - San Diego Ice Arena

La Jolla - IceTown

La Mesa - Kroc Center

toyota sports center is cool.... culver city ice rink is kinda crappy... both in los angeles area get the hockey gps app for i phone.. it always shows you the closest rink

(San Diego) Kit Carson Park in Escondido for Roller Hockey.

Beware the ice at Icetown in La Jolla. It's atrocious.

Skate San Diego in National City for roller as well.

San Diego Ice Arena is by far the best ice in that area. That building is COLD. Stay away from Iceoplex (crowded, not great ice) and IceTown (inside a mall food court, AWFUL ice). Kroc is good as long as you're not there during public skating (very crowded, ice is a bit soft and gets chewed up quickly). For drop-in it should be good, though.

Skate San Diego in National City for roller as well.

Wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning lol. They do have decent pick up games there from time to time.

I love the ice at Iceoplex. The ice at SDIA is nice too but far to inconsistent. It depends on who's working the zamboni that day.

I play in the Kroc adult league. The ice is definitely the best kept that I've seen but unfortunately gets soft too quickly. They don't set their thermostat low enough or something because some days it feels like you're walking into an ice rink and other days it feels like you're sweating while walking to the locker room.

The ice at SDIA is nice too but far to inconsistent. It depends on who's working the zamboni that day.

Completely true, though because the building is like a huge freezer, it's generally good ice, hardness-wise. Doesn't chew up too fast. And totally agreed that it fluctuates depending on who is driving the zamboni.

I play in the Kroc adult league. The ice is definitely the best kept that I've seen but unfortunately gets soft too quickly. They don't set their thermostat low enough or something because some days it feels like you're walking into an ice rink and other days it feels like you're sweating while walking to the locker room.

Kroc is probably one of the nicest facilities I've ever been in. I don't think I've ever seen one that has the employees squeegying the glass daily. It's very warm in there sometimes, and I think that's because its more of a "family oriented" place, so they try to keep the figure skater moms warm, I guess. I've only skated there during public skates, and it gets chewed up in 15 minutes. Often they don't even run the zamboni over it between lessons, etc so by the time you get to a public session the ice is already awful. I imagine conditions are far better for hockey, though.

Yeah, I've definitely subbed some games out at SDIA and seen some really half ass jobs done on the ice. Either no water was put down, huge spots go untouched, and snow along the boards where the zamboni enters and exits. Other times it's beautiful.

hey guys, thanks a lot for the feedback! looking forward to playing some hockey out there...unfortunately, i don't really play roller anymore, but will give it a go out there. thanks again for all the responses!

toyota sports center is cool.... culver city ice rink is kinda crappy... both in los angeles area get the hockey gps app for i phone.. it always shows you the closest rink

haha...well, unfortunately i'm still living in the day of the flip phone...ah well...i'll map it out before i head out there.