Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Machinehead2k5

"Comic Book" Movies Discussion

Saw Avengers: AoU last Tuesday. So much going on, I think I have to see it again to process it all. Some great moments in there, but they cap Phase 2 and launch Phase 3 all in there.

Two of the most funny parts were the Thor Hammer Challenge and with Vision winning it and the Hawkeye quote, "I have a bow and arrows, and I'm fighting robots."

Wife dragged me to see it the other day. I still don't see the draw, but to each his own, I guess. At least it wasn't as bad as Man of Steel *shudder*

Marvel's got one team overseeing the entire studio, so everything is a cohesive universe where all the characters exist. I think that's really where Marvel excelled with their movie franchises. DC is now kind of trying to establish a film universe, but everything up until now has been kind of isolated and scattered.

My guess would be to further the rift between Tony and Cap for Captain America: Civil War. Cap already disapproved with SHIELD's program that threw innocent until proven guilty out the window, and rightly so. Obviously, he disagrees with Tony's method of carrying out SHIELD's Eye in the Sky. I'm not familiar enough with the Ultimates to know if that's how it went down in that story line.

Sidenote, I love the Ant-Man comics. I think it's going to sneak up and surprise a lot of people in a positive way like Guardians of the Galaxy did.

Does anyone know why they had Iron Man create the Ultron program instead of AntMan?

The simplest answer is that Tony Stark is a known quantity in the MCU. The original Ant-Man, Hank Pym, created Ultron in the comic books. Since 1) the Ant-Man film comes out later this year and 2) the Ant-Man in the film is Scott Lang and not Hank Pym, it also would confuse the average viewer.

Age of Ultron: I found myself having a slightly negative opinion during the first scene, which I thought had poor graphics, but the movie redeemed itself to be very good. The humor seemed forced, but the Hulkbuster was excellent, as well as the semi-origin dream sequences.

However, there also seemed to be a huge plot hole. The major storyline was the danger in creating the first A.I., but what's J.A.R.V.I.S. ?!?!

I guess it's because Ultron is self-aware. We have robots, but they haven't taken on personalities, emotions, etc. J.A.R.V.I.S. (and thank you for putting the periods in there,) is more of an assistant than an individual.

Saw it 3 times so far. Early screening, dad, girlfriend. I've really enjoyed it. So much lighter and entertaining than Avengers AoU. Just a great Marvel heist movie.

Just finished the first season of Daredevil last night. I was really apprehensive about watching it because of how bad all the Iron Man/Captain America/Avengers/Superman/Spiderman/whateverelse movies have all been with all the cheesy forced humor and never ending boring/pointless fight scenes. She insisted, so I gave it a shot. Seriously, it was the best comic book adaptation I've seen since Dark Knight. It was interesting to me because right up until the end I actually really liked the "bad guys", and how things weren't so black and white.

Highly recommended.

Well, obviously we'll get Wasp. Also, have Scott Lang work on Bucky's arm. Have you read the Civil War comics? Bucky eventually makes a huge jump.

I haven't read them, but doesn't Bucky Barnes make the jump into the Cap'n Murrica getup?

I didn't know too much about Deadpool, but fuck, that movie was awesome!

What a I knew going in, he has the same name of a 90s NFL QB, Merc with a Mouth, and he breaks the 4th wall consistently. Never read a comic book of his before.

Hmm...I'm trying to think of a good place to start. I LOVE the series that started in 2012 by Duggan and Posehn. But I don't think you'd get the Bob reference in the movie without dipping back to the 2008 series by Way. I've been working on Deadpool since '08 or '09, he's one of my favorite characters.

I hate superhero movies (Man of Steel literally put me to sleep and the Avengers is easily some of the worst movies I've ever seen) but Deadpool was fantastic. Perfect mix of action and humour, and no ultra cheese.

Saw Captain America: Civil War on Tuesday.  Black Panther and Spidey were my favorites.  Ant-Man's just as fantastic as his movie.  MUCH better than Age of Ultron, not sure I'd put it ahead of Winter Soldier, but I think it'll be a bigger hit at the box office.

Just saw it this weekend. Great movie. Fun stuff. Ant/Spidey/Panther stole the movie.

Interesting to see Capt's and Iron Man's relationship going forward in the franchise.