Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamble

best way to wash equipment

And this is why you hang out your stuff to dry every game...

k57Zkae.png

gew. Gross.

Try out the dishwasher to save those - you gotta kill that shit with the sanitise cycle.

And on a side note - Ive been using the rocket drying system for the past 3-4 months and it is GREAT. I bought it kind of thinking you really dont NEED this, but im so glad I did. Gets everything dry really fast, and nothing in my bag smells at all anymore.

gew. Gross.

Try out the dishwasher to save those - you gotta kill that shit with the sanitise cycle.

And on a side note - Ive been using the rocket drying system for the past 3-4 months and it is GREAT. I bought it kind of thinking you really dont NEED this, but im so glad I did. Gets everything dry really fast, and nothing in my bag smells at all anymore.

I'm planning on getting a boot dryer to put my gloves and skates on every game.

This is literally the first time I've ever not hung up my stuff after a game... figures.

I just threw a bunch of my stuff into our washing machine on the Sanitize cycle. Gloves, elbow pads, shin liners, and my Down Low shirt. Never had an issue with the elbows going in there, and the gloves... well... its either this or they get thrown away. So whatever. It's a front loader so its pretty gentle on my stuff really. Never had an issue doing my elbow pads in there before.

If you're having a problem with lingering smell I've found a new method. Baking soda and water, create a slightly watery paste and cover the surface(where your skin makes contact)...let it sit for hours to overnight then wash it clean. It removes all scent...this is after or before treating with usual bacteria removing methods such as alcohol/hydrogen peroxide, ozone or what have you.

I'm planning on getting a boot dryer to put my gloves and skates on every game.

This is literally the first time I've ever not hung up my stuff after a game... figures.

I just threw a bunch of my stuff into our washing machine on the Sanitize cycle. Gloves, elbow pads, shin liners, and my Down Low shirt. Never had an issue with the elbows going in there, and the gloves... well... its either this or they get thrown away. So whatever. It's a front loader so its pretty gentle on my stuff really. Never had an issue doing my elbow pads in there before.

Hydrogen peroxide and alcohol is your friend man. Kill EVERYTHING

1. soak in tub overnight with dishsoap and a teaspoon of bleach. agitate all gear to get soap in all soaked.

2. next day drain and using a 4 quart tub of water with a scoop of laundry detergent and a good squirt of dishsoap, start scrubbing all over each peace.

3. rinse out soap.

4. air dry

love my gear, no damage done ever, and gear has no smell! twice a year usually.

used to use oxy back home and fill up the laundry sink and let shins, elbows, and shoulders soak for a few hours. here in OZ i use nappy-san (sp?). just give them a good rinse after. then i hang out to dry out of direct sunlight. Never washed my gloves though they probably need it.

goes in looking like a WWII bandage comes out nice and clean (white).

On 11/1/2014 at 3:26 PM, IPv6Freely said:

And this is why you hang out your stuff to dry every game...

k57Zkae.png

Sorry to bump an old topic, but after 8 years living in this house and storing my gear in the same room...the same way every week. I have developed some mold like this on some (not all - which is weird) of my gear. I noticed a spot like this on the outside of my bag (no mold inside) just before SJ, so I just spot washed it. and packed everything up for Toronto. When I got home, everything was already dry because I had used the laundry closet in the hotel to hang everything so I just hung it the way I normally do.

The other day I was looking for something and found mold spots on gloves, elbows, shin guard liners, pant cover a very small spot on my girdle and the same spot on the bag. Some of my older stuff that is not currently in used was even worse. As I said, some had no mold whatever so ever. Skates and helmets are all clean.There is a small wood closet full of socks and jerseys. None of them have any mold at all.

So...today is cleaning day. I bought a stiff short bristled brush and scrubbed the worse of the spots, then filled a big plastic tub with water and about 2 cups of white vinegar and soaked everything for about an hour. I put the gloves and elbows in a pillow case to try to protect them from getting caught on the drum and damaging the gear (or machine) and put it in the washing machine with regular detergent and ran a warm wash/cold rinse and left everything outside in the sun to air dry. Unfortunately today is the first day in about 3 weeks that isn't mid to high 20's and blaring sun. Cool and overcast, so drying is taking forever. I'll do all my backup secondary stuff and will be moving everything from the room I currently store in to the laundry room or a dry closet upstairs.