Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interpathway

KHL Lokomotiv plane crash; several ex-NHLers dead

Lokomotiv of the KHL were flying this morning to prepare for a game when their charter flight crashed. Nu survivors expected, almost all players were on the plane. Pavol Demitra included. Awful story.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/breaking-_khl_air_tragedy/

This was just reported on the local radio in the Twin Cities, too. 36 dead and 1 missing is what they are saying now. The plane was apparently almost totally occupied by the team.

This was just reported on the local radio in the Twin Cities, too. 36 dead and 1 missing is what they are saying now. The plane was apparently almost totally occupied by the team.

RIP :(

Amazes me that accidents like this don't really happen here in North America. 30 teams, 41 road games per team (granted, not all require flight, but bus at the very least.)

Demitra, Skrastins, Salei, and Vasicek are the names they've been saying so far here. None of this is confirmed, though. Different numbers all the time and I think they are just picking former NHL names off of the current roster.

RIP :(

Amazes me that accidents like this don't really happen here in North America. 30 teams, 41 road games per team (granted, not all require flight, but bus at the very least.)

Well they were flying in a real old Russian plane I heard.

http://detnews.com/article/20110907/NATION/109070405/Ex-Red-Wing-assistant-coach%E2%80%99s-hockey-team-in-Russian-plane-crash--36-dead

The report says one person survived the crash. Can't help but feel that this is the biggest in a long line of black marks on the KHL.

Besides, McCrimmon and Salei, former NHLers Josef Vasicek, Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Karlis Skrastins are on the team, and former NY Ranger Alex Karpotsev was their assistant coach

Being reported Salei was not on the plane.

Now being made official that Salei was onboard. Lots of conflicting reports at this time.

Pavol Demitra's agent confirming that he has been killed according to the Globe and Mail.

http://detnews.com/article/20110907/NATION/109070405/Ex-Red-Wing-assistant-coach%E2%80%99s-hockey-team-in-Russian-plane-crash--36-dead

The report says one person survived the crash. Can't help but feel that this is the biggest in a long line of black marks on the KHL.

Besides, McCrimmon and Salei, former NHLers Josef Vasicek, Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Karlis Skrastins are on the team, and former NY Ranger Alex Karpotsev was their assistant coach

I'm not sure how this is a black mark on the KHL. It isn't like the team's trainer was the guy that did maintenance on the plane. It was a plane crash and, sad as it is to say, they happen from time to time.

Well they were flying in a real old Russian plane I heard.

30 year old design and the plane was built in '93, not all that old in the context of airliners. You'd be surprised to find out how old are some of the designs and planes you've been flying on.