Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deej

Toronto Stores

Mrs deej and myself are off to Toronto at the end of the month, and as we're from the UK it's a good time to stock up.

I need some new skates, and I don't feel that I've ever been measured properly in our backwards stores. Is there one that is still highly recommended where I can try on a few? I have high arches, wide forefeet (and I think) a normal heel if that helps for the stores various stocks. We probably won't have access to a car, so will need public transport nearby. We are staying downtown, so any direction from there should be ok.

I've already earmarked Toronto Hockey Repair as we need to get minideej some bits and pieces for his goalie kit.

Thanks in advance.

Toronto Hockey Repair is definitely one of the most TTC accessible shops since it's right on the Bloor subway line. Since you're going to be on the Bloor subway line anyway you might as well check out Duke's Source for Sports as well. You'll just have to take the Bloor line all the way West to Kipling and then walk a few minutes west on Bloor to get to Duke's. I've heard that Duke's prices can be a little better than most and I've read in other threads that they also have a large selection of goalie equipment, although I haven't been there myself since it's not in an area where I regularily go.

Other stores that would provide good fitting services would include Just Hockey and Majer Hockey, but they're not as accessible from downtown Toronto via the TTC. You'd have to take buses to either of those shops.

Hockey Experts, National Sports, Pro Hockey Life and Sport Chek have locations throughout the GTA as well - they all have some good staff, but can be hit and miss (especially at the Sport Cheks that don't have a Hockey Experts inside. The Hockey Experts themselves are generally better). There is a Sport Chek at the Eaton Centre which is near Dundas subway station on the Yonge Subway line, but that's a general sports store that doesn't focus on hockey - if you get the right employee you may get a good fitting, but it's more likely an independant store that completely focuses on hockey like Toronto Hockey Repair or one of the others mentioned will do a better job with fit.

Pro Hockey Life megastores have the biggest selection I've seen when it comes to equipment, but they are in areas that you really need a car to get to and you can find most of the major products at stores that are TTC accessible.

There are quite a few older threads with similar topics you can also read through:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36195-feeback-on-these-stores-around-torontogta/

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17918-recomended-hockey-shop-in-toronto/

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48060-shopping-for-hockey-in-toronto/

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12613-hockey-stores-in-toronto/

Thanks for that, just wanted to be sure that none of the most mentioned had gone out of business, and which ones were accessible by public transport.

+1 for Dukes...and Also Majer Hockey is good too.

I also like Dukes. Staff is great, as well as prices.

I usually make a trip to Dukes, Just Hockey (Don Mills), and Majer Hockey if I'm going to Toronto looking for gear. However Dukes would be my first choice in terms of picking up a bigger ticker item.

Hockey Experts, National Sports, Pro Hockey Life and Sport Chek have locations throughout the GTA as well - they all have some good staff, but can be hit and miss (especially at the Sport Cheks that don't have a Hockey Experts inside. The Hockey Experts themselves are generally better). There is a Sport Chek at the Eaton Centre which is near Dundas subway station on the Yonge Subway line, but that's a general sports store that doesn't focus on hockey - if you get the right employee you may get a good fitting, but it's more likely an independant store that completely focuses on hockey like Toronto Hockey Repair or one of the others mentioned will do a better job with fit.

Thank you :D

But other than us, definitely Dukes and other SFS.

I think this is a little outdate but, I thought I'd update it because of my recent search for new hockey skates. In Toronto, it's difficult to find prices anywhere comparable to the U.S. for some odd reason. I think retaliers take advantage of the fact that there's a lot of hockey-crazed people here. That being said, if you're looking for the best deals and your budget is limited - then the best recommendation is Play it Again Sports and Kijiji. I find that Toronto's Craigslist is full of people who are on the shady side. You'd be surprised what you can find at Play it Again...albeit, it takes patience to finally find what you're looking for and the fact that you are getting second-hand equipment that may have a bit of wear and tear.

If you're going to buy some new stuff, Source for Sports isn't that bad of a place. I'd try Duke's out in Etobicoke or Just Hockey at Steeles/Bathurst as they are very customer service oriented and the prices are competitive. The Don Mills store seems to lack the friendly customer service experience and have more of a lack lustre attitude. Majer Hockey is okay, but I'd go there when they have their over-stock sales which is actually pretty good versus something like National Sports "Big 60" which was a terrible waste of time - they only had at most 20% off on their hockey gear. Goalie Heaven/Toronto Hockey Repair is a very good choice too. They have a very good selection of equipment, and their staff are very knowledgable. I've talked to several people who have put their children through junior hockey and found out that most of their shopping trips for equipment was to the U.S. Overall, Toronto lacks the ability to provide a good price point and it will be expensive if buying new equipment. Don't be afraid to negotiate though because hockey is seasonal after all and a new customer is better than nothing, so you have that much more buying power.