Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2011-2012 Suspension thread

Shanny gets his feet wet, suspending LeBlonde for 4 preseason games and 1 regular season game. You have to like that he not only issues a clear statement about the suspension but shows you the video and talks you through the hit and the decision. Story and video are on TSN's website.

Shanny video on head shots and boarding.

http://podcasts.nhl.com/ops/2011_Player_Safety_DVD.mp4

i'd say it's a little too soon to say that - but i like the video explanation and wonder if they will do that for every suspension?

dan cleary got a 5:00 major for boarding yesterday too - but i dont hear any mention of him today - maybe it's only if you get a game misconduct?

It's awesome that he did the video review of the suspension. I hope this continues not just with decisions to suspend, but also decisions to NOT suspend.

i'd say it's a little too soon to say that - but i like the video explanation and wonder if they will do that for every suspension?

dan cleary got a 5:00 major for boarding yesterday too - but i dont hear any mention of him today - maybe it's only if you get a game misconduct?

There wasn't even a hearing for that hit - which to me, indicates that the league didn't think it was severe enough for supplemental discipline - a 5 minute major was sufficient punishment.

Looks like Jody Shelley got 10 games for his hit on Darryl Boyce. That seems appropriate, since it was much more malicious than the LeBlonde hit (LaBlonde was finishing a check, albeit an illegal check - Shelley, not so much), not to mention he is a multiple repeat offender.

I'm liking the new standard Shanny is establishing. Well done, sir.

i would agree his hit wasn't as bad as shelley's or leblonds - i just hope they can ignore names and punish the offence and be consistent

shanny is starting off good - i hope it stays that way

Both were very dumb hits and I never understood why hitting a guy in his numbers was even allowed previously. Luckily for the Nucks player he didn't suffer an injury.

i would agree his hit wasn't as bad as shelley's or leblonds - i just hope they can ignore names and punish the offence and be consistent

shanny is starting off good - i hope it stays that way

Agreed with both points. He's off to good start - we'll see what happens when it's somebody people have heard of who is called into his office. I like the standard he has set today, and I honestly think Shanny will do the league proud in his new role.

Both were very dumb hits and I never understood why hitting a guy in his numbers was even allowed previously. Luckily for the Nucks player he didn't suffer an injury.

It was never allowed, it has always been a boarding penalty. Both of these were very obvious boarding penalties, too.

Great start by Shanny, Going to be interesting to see the suspension when a certain member of the Penguins goes off the handle this year.

the hit by shelley was effing stupid. I was at the game and as it happened I turned to my buddy and went 'welp he's gone for a few games.' needless and careless.

I wonder if he's giving preseason games less weight than regular season games. We'll have to see how it works out in the regular season as there will be plenty of these over the course of the season.

It was never allowed, it has always been a boarding penalty. Both of these were very obvious boarding penalties, too.

Actually plenty hits from behind go without penalty. Multiple occasions per game a guy's body is facing away from the opposing player throwing a check.

he should have never been in the league to begin with - i dont know what he was thinking there but at least he realized he was wrong quickly. i imagine gillies will get to know shanahan very well this season.

Seems fair. He caught him at a bad angle, with the head being the point of contact, though not the target maybe, but it ended up being a high hit from the side. Just what the league wants gone.

Glad to see Shanny being consistent thus far.

I think that Gillies history and continued antics should have earned him a one-way ticket out of the NHL by now....

On a side note, as much as I love Shanahan, it is odd to see him take on such a serious approach and demeanor given his lighthearted and jokerish attitude as a player. Love what he's doing thus far.

I'd say he gets 5-10 if Leblond got 5 for a similar play with the same penalty time attached to it.

If this is in regards to the cooke hit, i disagree. I saw the leblond hit in the game and it was a lot worse than that cooke hit. Clackson(I think that was who LeBlond hit) did not embelish or take a dive. He had no idea what happened even when he was eating the glass. This was a hard bump from behind. Cleary's hit the other night was way worse than cooke's hit.

As much as I hate Cooke, the views that I've seen of his latest boarding don't look like anything worse than the 2 minutes that he got.

Agreed, i don't think there is intent there. At least not malicious intent like his other 1237162837186 suspend-able offenses.