Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2011-2012 Suspension thread

I suspect that Daniel Carcillo's (Blackhawks) going to be handed a short-ish suspension tomorrow for a hit to the head of Alex Semin in the Blackhawks vs. Capitals game. Semin looks to be fine, though. Was called "head-butting" and Carcillo was sent back to the locker room after being assessed a major penalty/game misconduct.

Peter Leblanc delivered the hit on Semin, Carcillo just served the penalty as it was a 5 min major.

Peter Leblanc delivered the hit on Semin, Carcillo just served the penalty as it was a 5 min major.

You're right. NHL boxscore had it wrong for all of five minutes before reversing the order of who did what. Why do I bother double-checking through the NHL website.

Yeah, LeBlanc, and none of the video angles I saw really showed much clearly; I couldn't even see where Semin got hit. Best info I got was Eddie O saying it looked like an extended arm after Semin was even with, or just past, LeBlanc. If the league does anything, I'm guessing it'll have to be based more on the officials' accounts than the video.

Semin stayed on his knees for a bit, then got up and skated off. It didn't seem like he was hurt, but we'll see.

Yeah, LeBlanc, and none of the video angles I saw really showed much clearly; I couldn't even see where Semin got hit. Best info I got was Eddie O saying it looked like an extended arm after Semin was even with, or just past, LeBlanc. If the league does anything, I'm guessing it'll have to be based more on the officials' accounts than the video.

Semin stayed on his knees for a bit, then got up and skated off. It didn't seem like he was hurt, but we'll see.

Yeah, I also feel like he may have embellished a little bit after the contact, it didn't look like it should've sent him flying like it did from the angles that were shown.

I'd like to see the NHL suspend the roster spot for the length of the player's suspension. If a guy gets two games, the team plays a man short for two games.

I've heard a few announcers talk about this and I feel it pretty much forces the players to play more responsible considering they could really cost their team games.

he should be required to be on the roster for the next five games and not be eligible to be sent down until the suspension is complete.

While this makes sense I guess it isn't logical to the NHL.

Most teams do carry a couple spare players, not allowing them to dress a replacement would be a major change and have a big impact.

Not allowing them to send the guy down would ensure that the guy isn't shuffled between the ahl and nhl and serving his suspension on 'off' days in the other league.

The Wings announcers were just talking about that in the Pens-Wings game. I guess that would be their "loophole".

So let's say that they do put a rule in place where the suspended player's team forefits a roster spot for the duration of his suspension. Would you guys still be in favor of this if a player gets suspended for an extended length of time? Also, how would the league decide what type of suspension would warrant the loss of a roster spot?

The idea seems to me like it adds even more gray area in the suspension equation, and also adds some pretty serious consequences that would further polarize an already divided fanbase when it comes to suspensions.

I don't think the length of suspension or infraction should make a difference for that rule. The problem would be the refs and league being more lenient because of the impact of the suspension. You would need a real hard ass to be the suspension guy.

Looks like a semi-decent hit, seems like the intent was definitely there.

A bunch of people watching say it looked like he was rubbing his throat/neck afterwards, I'm guessing he may have stayed down because he had to catch his breath again assuming the contact was there instead of to the skull.

Good clip; like the loop.

I don't really see much point in hitting Semin then, as the puck was going to another Blackhawk, and Semin's momentum looked to be carrying him away. But even if LeBlanc wanted to hit him, why turn around, jump, and throw an arm? How about a right shoulder or hip check to the body, going by? And, at that point, wasn't it interference, anyway? Hockey would be a lot better off without that stuff.

LeBlanc's headed for Rockford today.

So, Malone is NOT being suspended for his hit on Campoli Saturday night.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377327

Now...being a Habs fan this is going to come across as sour grapes, I admit...but seriously...how is this hit any different than the Smith/Smith hit. Campoli is leaning to the puck...Malone finished through his head.

Campoli isn't cutting hard to the net in the same way Smith (CHI) was...but in many ways...he is in an even more vulnerable position as he is not only trying to gain possession of the puck...he's also fighting off the check from the TB player behind. Isn't the onus on the hitter to make sure you don't take advantage of a player in a vulernable position.

Reread the article. Shanny was very clear in why he felt Malone's hit was not a suspendable offense. I think he felt the primary head contact resulted from Campoli's actions immediately prior to the hit, language specifically stated in the rule.

i think there is a rule solution to the "gray" area, and people belittle it now, but in the very close future the NHL will adapt the same rule the CHL did. NO head contact.

I was quite baffled when Chris Neil got nothing for his hit on Grabovsky in the preseason. However, Clarke MacArthur got 2 games plus preseason games for his hit on Justin Abdelkader. Aaron Rome got suspended in the playoffs for his hit on Nathan Horton (somewhat similar to the hit Chris Neil laid on Grabovsky). I am a hockey fan first, and not necessarily a leafs fan.

This whole Gray area thing is getting rediculous.

Looks like Malone might have had time to adjust, at least somewhat, rather than pushing hard with his legs to follow through on the hit. Tougher call than the Smith hit, and I watched in real-time to form an opinion. The slow-motion replay can make it look like he had more time than he did.

Reread the article. Shanny was very clear in why he felt Malone's hit was not a suspendable offense. I think he felt the primary head contact resulted from Campoli's actions immediately prior to the hit, language specifically stated in the rule.

Yeah, I suppose. Damn gray areas! It's gonna be along year for Mr. Shannahan though.

It also looks to me, that Malone clipped the shoulder before the head contact was made, making it not the principle point of contact. In real time, no way the referees would be able to tell. In the slo-mo though, you can see the shoulder was what was hit first.

are players targeting the habs to the heads immune to suspensions? ryan malone shouldve been suspended just like the rest

ryan malone had more that enough time to realise where his head was, after campoli kind of slipped a few strides before that and the head remained in the same position throughtout the whole moment

It also looks to me, that Malone clipped the shoulder before the head contact was made, making it not the principle point of contact. In real time, no way the referees would be able to tell. In the slo-mo though, you can see the shoulder was what was hit first.

Yep, Malone brushed the body before launching into the head, so he gets a free pass.

Yep, Malone brushed the body before launching into the head, so he gets a free pass.

I don't agree with giving Malone a pass, though. A head hit is still a head hit, even on a follow through.

I don't agree with giving Malone a pass, though. A head hit is still a head hit, even on a follow through.

I agree with you. I'm just saying that's why he was allowed to crush Campoli in the head.

I was quite baffled when Chris Neil got nothing for his hit on Grabovsky in the preseason. Aaron Rome got suspended in the playoffs for his hit on Nathan Horton (somewhat similar to the hit Chris Neil laid on Grabovsky).

I dislike Neil but I don't agree with the similarities you draw between the situations. Horton had the puck and watched his pass, Rome just took advantage of the situation and did what he was taught as a kid though it was a suspendible hit at that point and if he kept his shoulder lower Horton woulda probably been ok. Neil did look like he had a little bit of intent but Grabby didn't have the puck and was defenseless.

I don't condone either hit really but Neil's was one I rather see out of the game. Rome played it like anyone would have in the years prior and the adjustment on that play is hard because it makes D-men not want to step in a situation like that.

are players targeting the habs to the heads immune to suspensions? ryan malone shouldve been suspended just like the rest

ryan malone had more that enough time to realise where his head was, after campoli kind of slipped a few strides before that and the head remained in the same position throughtout the whole moment

Watch the play at full speed and then rethink your comment.

Yes, it's a mass conspiracy by the NHL to allow players to do whatever they want to guys who play for the Canadiens... Better get the Montreal police to investigate it.

Funny, maybe even ironic... that Campoli is on the Competition/Rules Committee. He was on with McCown today (Fan in Toronto) and they talked about the hit.

So did anyone hear any news on the whole Leblanc hit on Semin? I'm surprised it didn't get any attention especially when MacArthur got two games for his hit.

No news, but I like what Shanahan does, and in a consistent manner. Saw his videos on Wiz and Staubitz from the same game and setup of his videos.

Hi, I'm Brendan Shanahan, and I'm the SVP of Player Safety. On (Date), an Incident occurred between (Teams). He then shows the video while explaining the clip. He goes down the line and explains that there are several factors weighing in on the decision. Summary: (Player) will/will not be suspended because of the wording of Rule (Number) and because of other influencing factors.

This is so much better than the Russian Roulette(or flow chart) that Campbell seems to have laid out.