Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Miken Razor Z9 - chippa13

User:

Age - 40

Ht - 5'10"

Wt - 190

Play - once/twice a week at the moment, winger

Flex: 80

Pattern: BP12 (basically a Bauer P12 but with the lower Easton Iginla lie)

MTac grip: most similar to the feel of a CCM Crazy Strong or Warrior AK27

I will be trying the stick out for the first time tonight.

Initial impression, the stick feels comparable to other high end sticks in terms of balance and weight. The shaft shape is a little on the smallish side, to compare with what I've got, it felt most like an S19 but with slightly smaller dimensions and maybe a hair more rounded.

I was torn between the 80 and 90 flex since I've been playing mostly 85 flex sticks recently, except for a 75 flex Reebok 11k shaft but we all know how those go. I decided on the 80 flex and based on a couple of flexes in the living room, I think I made the right call.

My most recent rotation of sticks has been 2 piece Reebok 11k and EQ50 set-ups, plus One95 and S19 OPS although I've been sticking mostly to the 2 pieces lately with the 11k seeing the most action.

The stick got its first game play last night. Unfortunately, due to the horribly over-watered ice I wasn't able to really get a feel for shooting in warm-ups. During game play the balance of the stick made it "feel" really light in my hands which took a little getting used to since my two-pieces are a little more blade heavy. I felt able to put passes where I wanted, for the most part. The horrible ice made puck handling a challenge most of the game so I can't hold the stick responsible for having to look down for the puck more than usual but I did notice I wasn't feeling as much feedback to the hands from the blade as I am used to. The other aspect that is going to take some getting used to is the small shaft shape, it was more noticeable to me during the game than in the living room.

That is week 1, I'm hopeful for better ice coming up so I'll be able to get more shooting under my belt for the next update.

Got another game in last night. A couple of quick wristers that felt pretty good and puck control felt much better this time out. I think I'm getting used to the smaller shaft shape. The puck feel is definitely better than most that I've used out there and catching passes was a breeze this past game. I'm impressed with the blade as far as handling and catching passes. I'd rank it pretty close to the One95 in that department. I still haven't shot a whole lot with it but as I said earlier, the couple of wristers that I took felt pretty good and had some steam on them. The stick took and gave a couple of little chops and didn't seem any worse for wear from the abuse but it is still early in the stick's life to see how it will truly hold up.

Game 3 is in the books and I have to say, I'm starting to really like the stick. I got to fire some good hard snappers and wristers in warm ups and the stick does put some mustard on them. Giving and receiving passes is very good and I still think the puck feel ranks up there with the One95. I haven't noticed any real chips or anything but again, the stick is still very new. I originally thought that shaft shape was going to be an issue for me but I didn't even notice it last night. I think I've adapted rather well to it and I'm feeling confident with the stick in my hands. I am able to just play, there isn't any thought about the stick as play is going on.

Next play for the stick will be at WinterFest.

Game 4 last night and the stick is still going strong. Took a couple slappers during the game and they came off hard and fast. There are some chips in the paint down by the hosel and there is a small chip in the middle of the toe but that is about it for wear so far for 4 games and about 1/2 of the Winterfest skate.

The stick has seen a couple more games and is still holding up well. A few more chips of paint around the heel hosel area and plenty of puck marks but no real visible damage to speak of. I have found in the last 2 games that the stick has been recoiling when receiving man passes. Probably a function of being an 80 flex but something worth noting. Other than that, still going strong.

The stick has seen some 1/2 games in the last few weeks. The puck feel is still up there but it seems to be softening up in the flex department. Other than that, just some more paint chips and puck marks.

Sadly, the stick gave up the ghost last night on a slapper, breaking just under the bottom hand in a similar spot that I lost an S19 about a year ago. My overall experience with the stick was definitely positive. The puck feel was very good, passing was crisp and it put some mustard on shots. Although I got used to the smaller/rounded shaft shape, I think I would have liked a boxier/beefier feel in my hands. That said, it is a stick that I would recommend that stood up to some good chops, a few one-timers and some slappers coming down the wing.