Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

2012 Bauer Hockey Catalogue

Apology accepted. I was a little worried as I had just gotten my first pair of skates, which were Flexlites, and was worried that as soon as I out grew this current pair, I'd have to find another skate model as they were not listed in the catalog, which didn't really surprise me considering the Flexlite wasn't a full product line.

I am drooling in knowing that I will be just about ready for a new pair of skates when the Nexus skates come out. I really like my Flexlites, so I am hoping to find them perfect.

...and that is what Bauer and other manufacturers who sell a top-end helmet have to deal with.

I had the same discussion in-person with two product managers of helmets (including this one) that are at that top price point back in October. Consumers have no qualms over dropping $800 on skates and $250 on sticks, but won't pay more than $120 on a helmet (and would much rather spend $60). Both replied that they are aware of the stigma and that education is what is going to turn the tide.

In the US, hockey is pretty much the only sport in which you have to buy your own helmet. Youth baseball and football leagues provide helmets, and is an optional purchase for parents.

Will the nexus 1000be stiffer then the flex light. Flex light fit great but was not stiff enough.

Not necessarily.

really? that expensive? 189 is a bit much for me.

What's your head worth to you?

In the retail setting the consumer needs to understand that his two most important pieces of equipment are at the top and the bottom of his body. Invest your money in the best skates you can afford to help you be a better skater and invest your money in protecting your head. Everything in between is almost inconsequential if you can't skate and your brains are scrambled eggs.

In the US, hockey is pretty much the only sport in which you have to buy your own helmet. Youth baseball and football leagues provide helmets, and is an optional purchase for parents.

It amazes me as a baseball guy that not every kid has their own helmet! For $30, just the deterrent of head lice should make every youth baseball parent want to buy one for their kid and they don't.

Exactly.

Most are fine just using whatever helmet Little League provides.

Jr, what are your hands impressions of the nexus shins? Assuming you've seen them. Will they be the typical $109.99?

Yes, I've seen them and tried them on.

They are comparable to a top-end Jofa/Reebok in that aspect. Very protective, same profile.

...and that is what Bauer and other manufacturers who sell a top-end helmet have to deal with.

I had the same discussion in-person with two product managers of helmets (including this one) that are at that top price point back in October. Consumers have no qualms over dropping $800 on skates and $250 on sticks, but won't pay more than $120 on a helmet (and would much rather spend $60). Both replied that they are aware of the stigma and that education is what is going to turn the tide.

True, Plus the helmet IMO is The most important protection...

Will the Nexus skates be more readily available than previous Flexlites now that it is a full line??? I live in Canada, but still have some large hockey retailers in town and Flexlites are nowhere to be found as no stores stock them. Have visited other cities and encountered similar results. I have a pair of Flexlite 12's that will need to be replaced in the next year and was worried...

Bauer is promoting the Nexus line (Flexlite had none) HEAVILY, plus the full-line aspect. There goal is to be 1-3 in NHL and in retail. Yes they will be more readily available.

TOTALONE NXG = 695g

APX = 755g

NEXUS 1000 = 780g

What size skate is this for? For example, icewarehouse list the Apx in a size 9D at 788g, as opposed to the 755g you've listed. They list the TotalOne in a 9D at 746g, but I assume the TotalOne NXG will not actually be 51g lighter than the old TotalOne (in a 9D), I'm guessing your measurements are for something like a size 7 or 8 skate, and the NXG is actually more like 20g lighter than the old TotalOne?

Anybody seen the the Nexus elbows and know how they compare to the Pro Series from 2011? As I get older, my joints call for better protection!

I noticed that the pictures of the Nexus protection line look similar to the pro series line, i compared the two using the catalog and they share some of the same features as well.

What's your head worth to you?

In the retail setting the consumer needs to understand that his two most important pieces of equipment are at the top and the bottom of his body. Invest your money in the best skates you can afford to help you be a better skater and invest your money in protecting your head. Everything in between is almost inconsequential if you can't skate and your brains are scrambled eggs.

This is something that needs, pardoning the irony, to be beaten into every player's head and every parent's as well. It's not uncommon for goalies to spend a TENTH of what they spent on pads and gloves on their masks, and only a little more on their skates.