Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cams

What are you reading currently?

Not a current read but a recent one. The infamous and controversial "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" . Basically an inside look at how the author raised her two kids. Sounds boring right?

It totally opened my eyes regarding parenting. I now understand better at what you parents have/are dealing with regarding your kids, it's tough and that's a pretty good understatement!

Currently, The Midnight Club is on the bedside stand. I tend to go for the fiction thriller/suspense/horror-ish kind of stuff. A lot of James Patterson, Dean Koontz, and Tom Clancy in the discarded pile.

Currently reading World War Z. Great fiction book about Zombie Apocalypse as told through eyes of survivors.

befor this book I had read the Theo Fleury, "Playing With Fire", it was awesome. If you have time to read it definately do it. Serious page turner.

Currently reading World War Z. Great fiction book about Zombie Apocalypse as told through eyes of survivors.

befor this book I had read the Theo Fleury, "Playing With Fire", it was awesome. If you have time to read it definately do it. Serious page turner.

Read both. WWZ was definitely entertaining haha while Playing With Fire was both educational and eye-opening. Good reads.

Not a current read but a recent one. The infamous and controversial "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" . Basically an inside look at how the author raised her two kids. Sounds boring right?

It totally opened my eyes regarding parenting. I now understand better at what you parents have/are dealing with regarding your kids, it's tough and that's a pretty good understatement!

My son is 17 now, and I was kinda raised in that environment. I only read the Washington Post articles, but they were good.

WWZ was a good read on the airplane too. So now I was watching The Walking Dead all weekend.

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Great book

I ripped through Outliers, Blink, the Tipping Point, and What the Dog Saw. Don't think I have ever enjoyed a series or author as much. Great stuff.

Just finished the Hunger Games, and thought it was fair at best. Don't see all the hype. I have many colleagues who thought it was just fabulous. I guess they have never read Ray Bradbury or Ayn Rand.

Now, I just started When She Woke by Hillary Jordan. A great, futuristic retelling of the Scarlet Letter. I am enjoying it a lot so far. Well written.

Edwin Abbott's Flatland shouldn't be hard to find, it's been around a long time; we had to read it for geometry class in high school, and I wouldn't be surprised if some teachers still use it.

Just looked this up, and the Kindle version is free. Going to check it out.

So, this is going to be hella nerdy, but....................

I just finished the Star Wars: New Jedi Order series. :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with that. There was a while back in the late 90's where I was tearing through the Star Wars Rogue Squadron series.

Cams, definitely find yourself a copy of Flatland: it's an extremely amusing book, and a very quick read.

I'd definitely put Leacock and Tom Sharpe in with them, though Sharpe is more properly a satirist than a humourist, closer to a South African Jonathan Swift. Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure are probably the two greatest literary attacks on apartheid I've ever read: he manages to make the National Party and its affiliated tools look absolutely ridiculous and incompetently vile, which is even better than making them look merely evil. John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces belongs in there as well, though that's significantly more benign than Sharpe. George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series should probably be there, but like T.C. Haliburton's Clockmaker series, it's a little hard to get into for 21st century readers, at least in my experience, where Leacock is still a fairly unproblematic read. A lot of people consider James Harriet to be a slight comic novelist, but I think he's every inch a pastoral Wodehouse: just doing for the vet on his rounds in the country what Wodehouse did for the London dilettante.

Sometimes I'll blame things on valve issues just to see if anyone gets the reference. A very heart-wrenching story of how that book came to be published.

Right now I'm reading Dream Psychology, On Chesil Beach and While Mortals Sleep. I'm not sure I really want to be reading Dream Psychology though, but I would like to know just how much I want to familiarize myself with my mother.

Nothing wrong with that. There was a while back in the late 90's where I was tearing through the Star Wars Rogue Squadron series.

I skipped over RS, but plan to hit it up eventually. NJO was a ride though, as much as I hated parts of it the series overall was probably my favorite Star Wars story line.

I ripped through Outliers, Blink, the Tipping Point, and What the Dog Saw. Don't think I have ever enjoyed a series or author as much. Great stuff.

Just finished the Hunger Games, and thought it was fair at best. Don't see all the hype. I have many colleagues who thought it was just fabulous. I guess they have never read Ray Bradbury or Ayn Rand.

The Martian Chronicles is such a great book!

Ray Bradbury is great. Look for the short story, "All Summer in a Day." Magic, I tell ya.

I will. Thank you. Every day that goes by makes me think more and more about a short story in The Martian Chronicles. Where we finally gain the Technology to take people to other planets in search of a new home due to destroying this one, only to find out that we started on the most uninhabitable saving Earth for last since it was such a Paradise. The man is a Genius!

Just got Jack Falla's Open Ice. Very personal reflections on his life and hockey's place in it.

The opening essay, "A Death in Montreal" is incredibly moving.

"In Search of Hobey Baker" is wonderful. An almost myhtical, F. Scott Fitzgerald-type character brought to life.

And loved the one about Rink Rats, the New England genus.

Well, no need to read that story now.

Haha! Sorry. I still highly recommend the book. That was one of the 8 page stories. I think there are 8 short stories in the Martian Chronicles.

Racing in the rain, a book about life from the perspective of a dog.

not currently reading but I highly reccommend 11 Seconds, Travis Roy's biography! its a great book and I've probably reread it 6 times! Really makes you appreciate the game and your life a whole lot more!

James De Mille's Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder, for instance: herniatingly funny, written by one of the most intelligent people on the continent in his day and age, and it's practically unread. You could tour most universities without finding anyone who'd heard of it, let alone read it.

Thanks for the rec. Just finished it -- absolutely delightful.

Just picked up Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin, I read the Aeneid, and a teacher at school last year told me it's a good follow on from that, never read anything by this author before, so just hoping it's as good a read as I've been told.