Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chip1441

Ever been disappointed by a "top of the line" product?

Howdy all.

I got myself a nice Christmas present this year. Bauer Vapor APXRs. Love the skate. Very stiff and fast. Less than ten games into my season, the Labeda Addiction XXX wheels that come on it are separating from the hub. I am not a big guy (5'10, 160 lbs, forward, and on sport court) but for how much the wheels cost this should NOT be happening. At $14 a wheel and over $100 a set, you would think they would last a wee bit longer. Just purchased my usual wheels for $25 a set (Hyper Formula G) to replace them.

This takes me back to when Mission used Factory wheels on their Helium skates. Only lasted one production run before they switched to Rink Rat. Factory wheels were good. They gripped and had speed. They were just profiled really narrow and asymmetrically. My pair chunked after maybe 4 games. Switched to Rink Rat Hornets at that point. Better wheels than the Factory. But still not as long lasting as Formula Gs.

Am I that hard on my wheels? Or are some of these just not worth what the manufacturers charge? My last Formula Gs lasted over a season and a half.

Until proven different, I will be using single pour urethane wheels for a while. I get longer life out of them, they are cheaper, and even when the time comes to replace them, they make good back up wheels for when another chunks up.

Anybody else have stories about a lesser product line preforming better than the top of the line?

Any thoughts on the Labeda Addictions?

I had a similar issue as you with the original Labeda Genesis wheels on the Tour Code 1's. I was able to contact Labeda customer support and they were super helpful in replacing my wheels, sending me a brand new set. Granted this was years back, but I think Labeda stands by their product and if you're wheels are a result of a bad batch or something Labeda would be inclined to help you out. Try Labeda's website and shoot em an email. Keep in mind though, we're right in the midst of the Winter Roller Tourney season, so if you don't get a response right away chances are there hockey wheel guys are slammed.

Personally, I will only use the Labeda Addictions. I've used them since they came out and cannot find a better performing and lasting wheel. Being a bigger guy and tough on wheels I would normally tear through wheels, but the Addictions have lasted me anywhere from 6-8 months worth of use skating twice a week and still perform. I'll gladly pay the price tag on the Addictions with the way they perform and hold up.

Hey Chip,

Seems like there was an issue with your wheels, as the_game posted we warranty our wheels against defects so please contact me and we will replace your set. I think you will find the Addictions are the longest lasting performance wheel available and your bad experience will change quickly once you get your new set.

Thanks,

Rob

(rob@labeda.com)

Actions have been taken. Thanks everyone.

But i still want to hear stories! I didn't intend this thread to be a complaint. I actually did want to hear stories about skates, wheels, sticks, and pads that are better than the top of the line ones.

I for one, was never fond of the Easton Air gloves. Always preferred the Ultra Lites... Just a preference thought and not a real problem with the product.

-Tour Thor EX-1's broke down extremely fast. Boot was destroyed.

-Labeda Addictions are the only wheels I use but I destroy them quickly(in a month or two)(probably because I'm a monster) so can't really complain...just need a lifetime supply.

CCM V10's, nice skate but the black XXXX rink rats they used on these were a disaster. If you got 10 skates out of them you were doing really well.

I second vet88 comment on the wheels that come with CCM V10's. They lasted me about 5 skates, although Rink Rat was great and sent me new wheels at no cost, which is why I continue to support rink rats.

Labeda Genesis wheels had hub defects as someone else mentioned. That sucked. Mission skates a few years back absolutley tore up my ankles. Bummer. Other than that, I've been pretty happy roller related.

As far as other gear, well I just got an RS and it SUCKS for roller. The blade is way too stiff. I can't get a good feel for the puck like I can with my SE16. I'm also a 75 flex user and the RS is an 85. I'm disappointed though. Haven't used it for ice yet, though, so I'm hoping for a better opinion then. Also, got an S9 helmet and it fits like crap. Really not happy with it.

Addictions wheels have been very good. I really like them. I haven't had any wear issues and I'm 5'7 175, playing 3 times a week. I recommend them to anyone that is willing to pay the price.

surprisingly my friend's addiction got chunked so badly, 2 wheels separated from the hub. bought another set on the next month, same thing happened. i gave him my gripper and its been holding up well so far.

one90 skates have dissapointed me, poor fit, hurts quite a bit when you skate on them, like my one70's and ccm vector pros a lot more

Its not the skates fault if it doesn't fit. Not sure how you could like the fit of vectors and one70s since the forefoot width is way wider on the one70s and with more volume .

I was highly dissatisfied with the mission d1 (d1c) and d2 skates I bought circa 2003? Those were dark times for mission skates.

Although the skate wasn't that great, one the best wheels Mission ever put on a skate were the white/green Hyper Trinitys on their 2007? Mission Boss skate. Those puppies were almost indestructable, you could skate them down to the hub and they would still be going strong. Then Hyper changed their manufacturing plant and it turned to custard for them. I purchased the purple triple pour Trinitys the next year and they chunked / split out after 5 games even though I was playing on the same surfaces as I had with the green Trinitys which had lasted me nearly a year. Even the speed guys I know stopped using their top end wheels after that.

Its not the skates fault if it doesn't fit. Not sure how you could like the fit of vectors and one70s since the forefoot width is way wider on the one70s and with more volume .

I was highly dissatisfied with the mission d1 (d1c) and d2 skates I bought circa 2003? Those were dark times for mission skates.

one is D width and the ccm is E, but i rarely use my one70's since i added tuuk ls2 holders on my ccm's and considering converting my one70's since their rarely used

I play in Australia on painted concrete and have got 1-2 seasons out of my wheels. Best wheels ever.

But on a side note I am fairly disappointed in my RX60's.

I tossed up between the T9's or RX60's and when the bauers to test the difference and I am very disappointed. Can confirm I will be going back to mission when the time comes or someone buys my bauers!

When I think of 'Top of the Line' & 'disappointment' the first thought that pops into my head is the Mission ViBE Chassis.

I'm also on board with AENutrition and the recent model Tour Skates, the Tabu & THOR EX-1, for top end skates those boots breakdown quicker than a wet paper towel.

Milezone, you may want to look into our skates. I think you would be amazed by the quality, comfort, and performance.

Man I want to so bad but I just can't see myself skating on same size wheels. How much affect would it have if I put some 76/76/80/80's in the alkali skates? I know you have improved the pitch of the boot for the wheel set up but is it possible to have high low wheels on alkali's?

Milezone,

First thing you need to understand is that a Hi-Lo chassis is a flat chassis. All four wheels are on the floor at the same time, and there is no rocker. I understand your feelings of concern, as I had the exact same concerns when we were starting this company. However, after multiple versions of test boots and chassis designs, I feel the all 80mm chassis works great with our boot. Will there be a bit of a transition period? Yes. Will it take a couple of times out to get comfortable? Most likely. Will you love the skates in the end? Absolutely.

Worse case you could switch the chassis, but I personally think that would be a mistake. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Milezone,

I understand you hesitancy to. I myself have been skating with the very same 76 76 80 80 setup forever. I was lucky enough to try out a pair of the Alkali CA9's skates from my buddy for a few games and I have to say I fell in love with them. If I had the money to get the skate I would take it over mission any day of the week. In all honesty I got use to the skate midway through the first game. The quality is great so if you got the cash I would take the Alkali skates over anything mission or anyone else has.

CCM V10's, nice skate but the black XXXX rink rats they used on these were a disaster. If you got 10 skates out of them you were doing really well.

Yes the Rink Rat MB816's (micro bearing) are the ones that came on the CCM and RBK skates and yes, unfortunately, those were a disaster on the quality and warranty front. We have discontinued that wheel from our product line because of issues like the one you experienced.

Our current line which was released in 2011 with the Hornet Split and re-vamped Hot Shot have been much improved from previous years. A new hub design with "inter-lock" plus some tweaks in the urethane have created a dual-level of bonding between the hub and the urethane and this has drastically decreased the amount of blow outs and separations we had previously encountered. For comparison purposes, we had roughly a 12-13% defect rate on the MB816 versus a 2-3% defect rate with the current line.

We too offer a warranty on our wheels and do our best to make sure our customers get their money's worth out of our product. If any of you have issues or are not 100% satisfied with Rink Rat, email us at warranty@faction-sports.com and we'll get you taken care of.

Thanks,

Nick