Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akravetz

Can you check skates onto a plane

The Web has answers on both sides of the fence and before I spend 20 minutes in answering machine hell with the airline, I figured I"d ask someone. Can you carry your skates onto the plane without checking them. I don't want the skates to get lost.

Andy

p.s. yes I will double check with the airline but figured if it is a loud NO here, then there is no reason to get on the phone.

I just asked my friend who is a pilot for expressjet and he said he knows for sure you can check them and have them in the cargo bay of the plane but he highly doubts you'll be able to carry them on the plane...

edit: he later clerified with this, "if you cant bring toenail clippers on the plane somehow i dont think they will let you bring something with a foot long sharp metal blade...so i probably wouldnt try it!"

I don't think you can bring them on the plane. But if you are that concerned about your skates getting lost, pop the steel out and check it with your luggage and carry the boots onto the plane.

They are my son's Easton Stealth S1. You can't pop the steel out without damaging the skate I think. And I would have agreed that you can't carry it on yet, I found several sites that said you can including a few travel-centric sites. The long and short of it is that we will probably just rent skates. We are headed to Florida in a few weeks for a long weekend and we get a kick out of skating at different rinks. (Yes, we are weird). We thought about bringing his but figure we'll just rent. thanks again.

andy

You can't bring skates on a plane.

You can check them without a problem, but they cannot be in your carry-on luggage. I've heard this from figure skaters many times.

I work for an airline as my day job. If you bring skates onto an airplane someone screwed up. If you want to remove the steel, you can take them on with no problem.

All I've got to say is... "Thanks a lot Bin Laden"

I've had to pay the extra $30 with Spirit Airlines just to check a bag that COULD have been carry on if not for my skates being packed.

I would have mailed the steel for $5, but if your carry on had to go in the overhead, it would have cost more than checking a bag with Spirit.

I would have mailed the steel for $5, but if your carry on had to go in the overhead, it would have cost more than checking a bag with Spirit.

The problem with that is most people trust the postal system about as much as the airlines when it comes to lost/damaged goods.

I just got done looking on the TSA's Web site, it says ice skates are okay to bring on a plane.... (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm). I have no idea why you can bring a foot-long piece of sharpened steel on a plane but you can't bring a bottle of water from home. We probably arne't going to take them but this is crazy. People above say no way but the TSA apparently says yes.

Even if the TSA allows something, that doesn't mean an airline has to allow it.

Airlines aren't going to be going through your bag. The bigger issue is that if the local TSA guy decides he doesn't want to let it through, it doesn't matter what the website says.

Airlines aren't going to be going through your bag. The bigger issue is that if the local TSA guy decides he doesn't want to let it through, it doesn't matter what the website says.

I took "bring on a plane" as a reference to carry-on bags, and expected the airlines to have their own rules. Airlines can become aware of items in those bags by information received, not just a search.

Well, it is moot now. the boy is going to rent skates if we hit the ice down in Fla. Figure you can hit the beach, the water and the surf only so much before it's time to get back onto the ice.

I have never had an issue with skates in a carry on. In fact, when coming back from DET, I had my extra set of steel in my carry on bag. TSA inspected the bag and asked a few questions about the steel. If your story checks out, you will have no issues. When I showed them the checked bag tickets for my hockey bag and sticks...they let me on my way.

I have never had an issue with skates in a carry on. In fact, when coming back from DET, I had my extra set of steel in my carry on bag. TSA inspected the bag and asked a few questions about the steel. If your story checks out, you will have no issues. When I showed them the checked bag tickets for my hockey bag and sticks...they let me on my way.

same here, didn't have extra steels though (still don't know how you got away with that xD ) but yeah, basically carried a pair without problems in the airplane. at the security checks, the person took one of them to show her supervisor, then gave them back to me saying you're good to go!

I think security guys are right, water bottles are waay too dangerous, however wanna take your sharpened skates with a removable steel as a carry-on in the plane? suuure why not! xD

I've seen a number of people have to check their skates because the TSA won't allow them through. Like I said before, if you get through, someone screwed up. Given the TSA's track record, you have a 50-50 shot at it.