Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior Mojo Sr - Cams

Warrior Mojo

Flex: 85

RH

Gionta curve

About me:

5'8"

180lbs

Generally play forward, as well as coach

Experience: Played since I was 5, 38 and quickly approaching 39. Rec league level, have played in some tournaments too of course.

This will be my first impression(s) of the stick, which I received this week from Warrior:

First of all a thank you to JR and MSH, as well as Warrior for giving me the opportunity to review this stick, and also my daughter is reviewing the jr. version of this stick.

Package arrived from Warrior without any issues.

I have had chance to "play" with the stick off-ice to get a feel for it. I'd like to state that this is my first Warrior stick, and I am excited to see how it works for me. The flex is perfect at 85 - comparable to other sticks I have used with the same flex (One95, Easton SE). I also like the feel of the grip, and how it varies from smooth on the front face of the stick, yet it has almost a ribbed feel to the grip on the backside of it. For me the grip is not overly "grippy", yet it feels slighty more so than what I have on the other sticks I use (noted above - both are grip).

The Gionta curve is of course a toe curve, but I do not find it as drastically different as I thought I would - coming from using mostly the Drury type pattern. My One95 is a Ryan Shannon pro-stock, which has a Backstrom curve, and this is honestly not too far off - straighter blade with the curve concentrated at the toe.

I like the balance and weight of the stick as well. It's not the lightest I have ever used, but certainly not the heaviest either - perfect as far as I am concerned!

I will be using it on ice this weekend for the first time, and will keep everyone updated as I break this stick in and review it accordingly.

Played my first game with the Mojo. The feel of stick is great. Puck feel, handling the puck, taking and receiving passes - all excellent. Had the opportunity to get off a couple quick wristers, and snappers, and I think with the flex being where it's at (just perfect for me), they were as hard an accurate as I would expect for myself. My first shot did get up really quick, and caught the goalie right in the face - but sometimes this happens (without being intentional of course). Not being a player who take a lot of slapshots - I did get to fire a couple, and again no problems what-so-ever. I also enjoyed the fact that a couple hard or longer passes I made, it felt as though I'd been using the stick for a long time.

What I do like about the Mojo so far is that despite it being on the heavier side, I certainly would have no qualms about putting it in a rotation with any of stick I have, or have used. Durability certainly doesn't seem like it will a question mark.

I gave the Mojo another go around this weekend. I had someone comment to me that they had heard that Warrior's play on the stiff side of their respective flexes. I hadn't really given it much thought, but I really don't believe this to be true.

This time my wrist shots were off. I haven't really pinned down why, and I attribute that to still getting used to the different curve perhaps, or it may have just been one of those days. I figure I'll be able to know after a few more ice times with this stick for sure.

I still have no negatives to report about this stick. Feel, flex, durability all are right up there with any others I have used. I am starting to wonder if the Gionta curve is one I would stick with or not. Time will tell with that! I find that I can adapt quite easily, however I need some more time with it to decide for sure.

A few more weeks of the Mojo and things are still all positive. Durability has been on par with any of the other sticks I have used. i was excited to experiment with the Axy-sym technology - and I will say that it hasn`t been as noticeable as I thought it might. I am guessing that this is partially to do with the 85 flex being on the high end for me - I did have to cut a little off the end before I used it - therefore stiffening it up a bit. I would step down to the lower flex next time for sure. If I was a player who used slappers a lot - I would stay with this flex, but being more of a passer, and one who prefers the wristers - the lower flex would likely benefit me. I have recently flipped between the Mojo and the couple other sticks i have (well worn in One95s). Mostly - to see how the curves can compare (have a Drury, and a Backstrom). In relation to the curves - I place the Gionta behind the P92 style. I think this review has let me experiment with a different curve as well. Every other part of the stick - no complaints at all. Stickhandling is right there for me, passing and shooting are spot on with what works for me. Again - in the future I would have no qualms about using this stick in my regular rotation of sticks.

Latest update on the Mojo.... After toying with the stick off ice between my last post and using the stick again - I am starting to come to the conclusion that the axy-sym may infact be giving the stick a stiffer feel. Best attribute for shooting with this stick is wristers and snap shots - and the Gionta curve helps too - all about the toe!!!! Accurate and hard as they should be for me. One thing I have noticed in regards to this is I don't really have to "cup" the puck as I would with a deeper curve which is to be expected when looking at the Gionta pattern. I find myself totally comfortable with every aspect of the stick (aside from being a bit stiff for my liking). Warrior is definately on my radar now for sticks in the future - I would definately like to give one of their higher end sticks a go!!!

Finished off the winter season, and look forward to a period of down time of a couple weeks before it’s back at it again.

To summarize my experience with the Mojo up to this point: This is definitely a sold stick. I don’t notice any pinginess with the blade as far as receiving passes, etc.

Shooting - with this stick took a bit getting used to overall, and I attribute that to a combination of the lie of the blade as well as the curve. I could pick it up and play with it first time, and still get off good shots when I wanted, but had to learn to tweak things a bit to get it to where I was comfortable with how it felt to suit my game.

Feel - I can say too, that the feel of the shaft with the ribbed texture and slight grip was a good feel for me. I am overall, not very picky when it comes to smooth vs grip, etc.

Flex and stiffness – The flex rating at 85 is at or above where I would normally play with. I had to cut a couple inches off the shaft, thus stiffening it slightly. As one of my previous postings noted, it seems that the axy-sym technology will “stiffen” the flex slightly as well.

Durability – The Mojo excels in this area. It has taken quite a bit of abuse during the regular rigors of game play, whether it be from getting slashed, stick lifted, etc., to taking abuse from the post or skates, or contact with shin pads, etc.

Back at it a couple weeks now after a summer of most recovering from a minor issue with my hip - never could pinpoint exactly what it was, but it's gone now so......

I still like the feel of the shaft, with that "ribbed" feel. Would I want it all the time - not necessarily, but it wouldn't detract from selecting/using a stick in the future. I have not noticed any decline in the feel of the stick (passing, stickhandling, shooting). Cosmetically it is holding up well too. Little if any chips, etc. Although around the heel/hozel area there are marks, but that is obviously to be expected - that is the business end of the stick. I still do not have any issues to report on this stick. The more I use it, the more I realize I would definatley pick a different curve though. Gionta pattern is just not for me. Also - I tend to baby my sticks as much as I can, thus attempting to keep them longer. As mentioned in my other posts above - this stick is excellent for durability.

It's been a while since my last update on this review - I apologize profusely! I've got quite a bit on my plate lately....

Anyways - I'd like to comment that the feel and flex/stiffness are holding up great with this stick. It's hard to make many more specific comments when I know that the stick is broken in, and working as it should. The only area where there is some concern (although not really - it's to be expected), there is a decent sized chip taken out from the hozel/heel area. It's not effecting the performance of the stick one bit, but figured it should be noted.

What more can be said at this time..... I am very happy with the stick and how it is working for me. Aside from the curve - see above posts for more details re: curve.