Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
n3gkiwi

Bauer Vapor X40 Elbow Pads

Background: 170lbs, 5'10

Icetime: 1-3 per week

Product: Bauer Vapor X40 Elbow Pads - Size Medium

Previous: Old pair of Easton ST's

Timeframe: September 2011 - February 2012

FIT/MOBILITY:

I picked up a pair of these as my old Easton's cap cracked. I decided to purchase these as they were less bulky, and as I was using an older elbow pad I was use to a lower profile. The fit of these are great. The elbow joint donut is what keeps your elbow in place. I did not think this was a problem until I realized I did not have to keep pulling my elbow pads up during an ice-time. The anchor (middle strap) holds your elbow joint in place and is also a nice feature as it is the only strap I now use to adjust my pad (this is also good as I don't need to stretch the other velcro straps which could loosen over repeated use). One thing to note on these elbow pads (like many Bauer's) is the top strap is meant to be fairly loose. It seems very bulky at the start, and if tightened can feel uncomfortably big. It wasn't until I loosened it and tried on some other Bauer's that I realized this. I now wear this top strap fairly loose with the top pad nicely protecting the side of my elbow without inhibiting mobility. The reason this works is my elbow stays locked in due to the elbow joint donut and anchor strap. The extended bicep elbow wing may seem like it could hinder mobility however with the top strapping fairly loose, it simply hinges beside the elbow and does not restrict movement at all.

9/10

PROTECTION:

Coming from lower profile (OLD) elbow pad these provided great protection comparatively. I have taken a few hard falls on these and have yet to take a bruise or scratch because of them. The forearm and bicep guards are what provides the most protection in regards to slashes. The forearm guard fully wraps around my arm overlapping with the other side of the pad which is nice knowing there are no gaps. The bicep guard is very protected as well and the extended bicep wing comes nicely over the side of the elbow joint. The elbow pads provide nice protection on the top of the arm. My classic shoulder pads have no problem overlapping them. They do not ride all the way to my wrist, so you may want to get slash guards however I prefer to have shorter elbow pads so I don’t restrict my gloves for stickhandling.

9/10

CONCLUSION:

There was a small break-in period however due to the multi-segmented padding it was much easier than expected. Durability wise I have yet to have any problems. Value wise, these are great elbow pads and I would strongly consider any Vapor elbow pads. It is a good balance of mobility, protection and comfort without a huge profile.