Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a Sisu mouthguard and fitted it yesterday. Man this thing is light years from the old boil and bite rubber ones. I might actually wear this one!!

been using my SISU for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. no more having to take my mouthguard out to drink or breathe better with my dirty stinky gloves. have a few questions about it still

-for people who used the 1.6 and the 2.4, is there much of a difference in fit/comfort or does it pretty much feel like the same mouthguard

-i am a pretty small guy, 5'5" (5'6" on a good day) i wear a lot of senior small and junior L/XL, and i feel like the 1.6 doesnt cover my back molars. using the adult sized one and just wondering if this is normal for others

I know that my 1.6 seems to be a little short on my back molars, but I kind of like it that way. I'm mostly worried about my front teeth. I wore mine last night for the first time and never took it out once, never really even noticed it. Terrific product...

Since others are talking about the sisu again ill repost this looking for help..

So i tried reforming my sisu 1.6 a couple of times but i still get this same problem with its fit. it seems to be fitted in a certain way that it feels like its pushing my front teeth back. i dont notice it while playing but i took it out after my first game of a double header yesterday and my teeth felt pain as if they were hit and had that faux loose dull pain feel. it was so bad i didnt bother putting it in the second game. now today my teeth are sore when biting down on them.

Im also thinking of cutting a tiny bit off of the back as well as it seems that there is a tiny bit too much material there and it slurs my speaking a bit, it may also be i have a slightly wider jaw and the material back there is going towards the inside of my mouth too much.

Besides that I love it and i have gone through a couple before, I can breath, drink water, i dont feel like im choking, and the only time i notice it is when i say a bunch of words and i notice im slurring them but even that is rare.

Since others are talking abuot the sisu again ill repost this looking for help..

i feel a tiny bit of soreness after taking it out after the game, but by the time i'm out of the rink i dont really ever notice it. never any soreness during the game either

I honestly havnt worn it since and i would really like to, especially bc my last 2 games i took an elbow to the chin, and a stick to the face, thankfully my visor blocked most of the stick.

I have tried remolding it several times and i tried hard bites while molding which makes it sharp on the bottom and the tip of my tongue gets caught in the groove. no bite, it seems to not fit well then. some bite, still not there. the only thing i could think is causing it is that the mouthguard doesnt flair out enough for the back of my jaw and a lot of material gets on the inside. i think i may be biting down as i play and this causes the front to move slightly and put pressure on my front teeth.

Im hoping someone here has some suggestions on getting a better fit. I REAAAALLLLY want to use the sisu its a real good product. i think as a last ditch effort i may cut it, if i ruin it then whatever, by then it would be useless if im not wearing it anyway.

T6lock and Souldriver, there are reasons that dentists (and Impact Custom Mouthguards www.impactmouthguards.com) make "Custom" mouthguards out of a softer flexible material than what a SISU is made from. First of all, it is much more comfortable to wear, no sharp edges or hard acrylic material to cut into your lips and gums. Secondly, the softer material forms to your teeth exactly as they are, giving you a snug fit allowing you to breath easily, communicated effectively and hydrate while wearing it. In addition when you have a guard that is formed to your exact dentition ( the makeup of a set of teeth including their kind, number, and arrangement) then it fits perfectly locking each tooth individually into the guard allowing better protection. Say what you want about the SISU, but it is still just a fancy boil and bite.

Do yourself a favor and check out www.impactmouthguards.com, at $49 for a custom fitted and designed guard you can't go wrong. No having to remold to get the right fit, it fits perfectly right out of the box.

Well before doing anything else I want to try to make the sisu work because I already have it and spent the money on it. I know a lot of people have teeth issues and getting them to fit is hard but mine are near perfect. My dentist and orthodontist friend always ask if I had braces as a kid and compliment my teeth.

If I can't get it to work I'll talk to my dentist and see what he can do under insurance coverage and get prices etc etc. Though to be honest I tend to dislike the softer mouthgyards bc I chew through them. One of the better shock doc ones I had lasted only a period before pieces started coming off.

The reason people chew their mouthguards is because they don't fit properly. A boil and bite guard does not fit/lock on to your teeth and so you will continue to chew them. A custom one locks on to your teeth so you don't have to chew them. As for the dentist, most dentist use a cheap vacuum machine to make guards, or they have to send it off to a lab which will then charge them $125+ for the work and then the dentist will build in their cut on top of that. Companies who specialize in making custom guards like Impact, use a machine that uses high heat and pressure which allows for a much better fit and they can also do multiple layers of material so that it dissipates the energy from the impact more than a single layer of material.

Sorry, just my two cents. I have researched this through and through.

My sisu never digs into anything or causes any discomfort at all, in fact it's way more comfortable than any guard I've warn to date. I have some odd shaped teeth mainly in the back and I've had no issues molding it to fit. For 20 bucks I've gotten the first mouth guard to ever last me am entire year

I pretty much agree with Stewie, I've only worn mine for one skate so far, but it fits great and no digging in anyplace or anything. It snaps right in place on my upper front teeth and stays there. I have to I pry/pop it out with two fingers to take it out so its a good thing its so comfortable.

I do see Clydes point on a softer more flexible material having some advantage (maybe on impacts???), but the SISU is damn fine, IMO. And with a name like SISU, how can you go wrong...(LOL, Im a Finlander)

I tried SISU and UnderArmour (UA) ArmourBite. The UA is so easy to form and fit, and feels great. I am unable to say certain words though when I am talking, which can be frustrating, and I definitely know the moutguard is there when I wear it. The SISU has been a pain in the neck to properly fit. I am presently working on my 4th fitting as I write this. Problem has been, that I fit it, think it is fine, and then when I am at the rink I go to put it on, and it is so tight on my teeth, that it feels like I am getting a tooth realignment (so I just wear the UA). So, we will see, maybe the 4th time is a charm on the fitting.

I tried SISU and UnderArmour (UA) PerformanceBite. The UA is so easy to form and fit, and feels great. I am unable to say certainw ords though when I am talking, which can be frustrating, and I definitely know the moutguard is there when I wear it. The SISU has been a pain in the neck to properly fit. I am presently working on my 4th fitting as I write this. Problem has been, that I fit it, think it is fine, and then when I am at the rink I go to put it on, and it is so tight on my teeth, that it feels like I am getting a tooth realignment (so I just wear the UA). So, we will see, maybe the 4th time is a charm on the fitting.

i know that feeling. wearing a half visor i WANT to wear a mouth guard and i ahve the sisu to keep trying with but i get the same feeling as you. if i wear it a whole game it is painful on my teeth once i take it off.

i know that feeling. wearing a half visor i WANT to wear a mouth guard and i ahve the sisu to keep trying with but i get the same feeling as you. if i wear it a whole game it is painful on my teeth once i take it off.

Get the UA. I have a feeling I will run a test with the SISU each session. The SISU will fail the test, and I will just go UA for the duration. Which is just as well, the UA feels great.

heres the problem a lot of people will have, Everyones mouths are different so you will never really know which mouthgaurd is right for you unless you pony up for a custom, or try different ones. Some people are having a lot of issues with molding SISU, ive found mine to be no harder than a boil and bite standard 1 dollar model. the only problem with mine is that my back molars on the top are crooked at abou a 30 degree angle but ive managed to work the guard to fit with no comprimise in integrity. literally takes me about 5 minutes from start to finish, initial and fine adjustments.

heres the problem a lot of people will have, Everyones mouths are different so you will never really know which mouthgaurd is right for you unless you pony up for a custom, or try different ones. Some people are having a lot of issues with molding SISU, ive found mine to be no harder than a boil and bite standard 1 dollar model. the only problem with mine is that my back molars on the top are crooked at abou a 30 degree angle but ive managed to work the guard to fit with no comprimise in integrity. literally takes me about 5 minutes from start to finish, initial and fine adjustments.

My upper and lower jaw are so mis-algned that it probably took a good 3 fittings before I got my SISU guard the way I needed it. Now that I've got it dialed in I've had no resulting issues. Agreed that they will not work for everyone. Like feet and hands....everyone's teeth are incredibly different. And like everything else....go with what fits best. I'm still very happy with my SISU guards and will continue to use them until something proves otherwise.

I recently picked up the high performance model from Gladiator and I think it's fantastic. Really thin, very easy to speak, locks on to the teeth. Their high performance model is a little pricey ($125) but their standard Pro model (which should be plenty for hockey, I went for the high performance b/c I box also) only costs $50, which is a ridiculously good deal.

well i tried it and spent the money on it so i want to see if i can get it to work. i like how i can breathe, drink, and speak normally. but it does hurt me. My teeth are fine and i get compliments from dentists and their "nurses" (sorry i dont know the correct term) but somehow its off. i feel like its more me but i see others getting this problem so i am raising my hand so they know they arnt the only ones.

maybe on the next mold ill keep it on fro a while wile sitting at the computer or watching tv and keep my jaw lax. maybe there is an issue where i bite down on it during games and it moves or something.

Get the UA. I have a feeling I will run a test with the SISU each session. The SISU will fail the test, and I will just go UA for the duration. Which is just as well, the UA feels great.

Isnt the performance bite not really a mouthguard? do you mean the armorbite? i think this was brought up a page oo two ago.

Isnt the performance bite not really a mouthguard? do you mean the armorbite? i think this was brought up a page oo two ago.

Yes, I think I was the one who brought it up. So yes, the true mouth guard, not the bottom row liner, is what I am using and enjoying.

It really shouldn't move at all much when you bite it. Both of mine haven't

it doesnt move at all, its on tight. but i think if i clinch down on it, it may put pressure on my teeth

T6lock and Souldriver, there are reasons that dentists (and Impact Custom Mouthguards www.impactmouthguards.com) make "Custom" mouthguards out of a softer flexible material than what a SISU is made from. First of all, it is much more comfortable to wear, no sharp edges or hard acrylic material to cut into your lips and gums. Secondly, the softer material forms to your teeth exactly as they are, giving you a snug fit allowing you to breath easily, communicated effectively and hydrate while wearing it. In addition when you have a guard that is formed to your exact dentition ( the makeup of a set of teeth including their kind, number, and arrangement) then it fits perfectly locking each tooth individually into the guard allowing better protection. Say what you want about the SISU, but it is still just a fancy boil and bite.

Do yourself a favor and check out www.impactmouthguards.com, at $49 for a custom fitted and designed guard you can't go wrong. No having to remold to get the right fit, it fits perfectly right out of the box.

I really have no problem with my SISU. It fits great, I'm able to breathe and drink 100x better than any gel mouthguard I've had in the past (4 different ones). I haven't had any problems with sharp or hard edges, but cut my bottom lip pretty bad on one of my other mouthguards.

it doesnt move at all, its on tight. but i think if i clinch down on it, it may put pressure on my teeth

i am not sure what you mean by this exactly. the mouthguard itself doesnt put any pressure on my teeth when i bite down. next time i put it in ill pay attention to this, but i never really notice it in that much

Regarding the sisu I have both the 1.6 and the 2.4. If you wear a cage get the 1.6 if you have a visor or less get the 2.4. Both fit great. If I had to pick a favourite I would go 2.4.

Funny but they advertise the 1.6 for hockey... i don't think the makers of sisu have ever played hockey... 1.6 vs a stick... Ouch