Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer TotalONE NXG Initial Thoughts

I've been skating with Bauer's advanced range of motion skates for the past 6 years (ONE90, ONE95, TotalONE) and have submitted reviews for each. Now it's time for the latest iteration of that concept; TotalONE NXG.

nxg.jpg

nxg2.jpg

Notice the Curv hangtag -

nxgcurv.jpg

The biggest design change on the NXG is the tendon guard; every year since the ONE90 Bauer has expanded on this concept.

nxg4.jpg

nxg9.jpg

nxg3.jpg

Here is the updated tongue and inserts; the pocket is now plastic as the one in the TotalONE would stretch over time.

nxg7.jpg

nxg8.jpg

Here is the binding on the tongue. It was tweaked to help prevent wearing on the inside eyelets.

nxg6.jpg

The footbed concept from the Vapor APX now is on the Supreme as well. I have them on and cannot feel the toecap edges.

nxg5.jpg

And lastly, a comparison picture with its predecessor.

nxg10.jpg

I've had the skates on for about an hour now. They fit very well out of the box (albeit a bit tight on my bigger foot, but that's my desired fit) and am not feeling any sort of difference from the TotalONE. Lacing pattern is even. These just arrived in time for me to get them baked as well as put heel lifts on the LS2s.

I'd like to thank Keith Duffy, who is the Senior Category Manager for skates at Bauer Hockey for providing me with the skates. I'll begin the long-term review during the bake.

Questions?

Looks a little more 'flashy' than the previous TotalOne. Guess that goes with brand and product recognition.

Any word on pricing? I assume just a slight increase over the TotalOne?

The one problem I forsee with the mobile tendon guard are going to be people who take their skates off by pushing down on the guard. No one should be doing this, but it happens too often from what I've seen. JR, with the way the guard is constructed, do you think this could be a more prominent problem long term as compared to other traditional immobile tendon pieces?

Harv - same price as TotalONE.

AIREAYE - No. Every iteration of the tendon guard since ONE95 (I'm not counting ONE90 for a reason; while the concept is the same, the application was different) has been stronger and has provided a greater degree of flexibility than the previous skate.

It is the same toecap, however, the outer mold design is different. I'll take a picture of both of them and put it in the post.

nxg11.jpg

nxg12.jpg

nxg13.jpg

The grooves on the NXG are bigger; I can see how it could be perceived as looking smaller. It's more streamlined.

However, the dimensions are the same.

JR - Is there any noticeable different in weight? I picked up a TotalOne a few days back and the technology that exists now to make skates like these so light is just amazing!

I really wish I would have gone with the One95 instead of the Vapors I got. Had the chance but passed for some stupid reason! :angry:

JR - Is there any noticeable different in weight? I picked up a TotalOne a few days back and the technology that exists now to make skates like these so light is just amazing!

I really wish I would have gone with the One95 instead of the Vapors I got. Had the chance but passed for some stupid reason! :angry:

I had listed the weights around here somewhere, at a size 8. It was a comparison between Vapor/Supreme/Nexus.

Stupid question, I notice the 2 yellow eyelets towards the top. Is this cosmetic or does it have some sort of purpose?

Yes, cosmetic. They wanted to enhance the on-ice look; the TotalONE was pretty muted (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.) compared to other skates on the market. But notice Nexus was in the NHL before NXG; that extra gold helps differentiate at first glance.

The new "3 Flex" tongue inserts (I assume re-named from Re-flex), appear bigger and extend out more. Please update later on if you notice a difference (for better or for worse) when you skate in them. I assume it will be for the better. Overall nice looking skate, Bauer looks like they worked out some of the "kinks" so to speak of the TotalOnes, and made into an overall better build. Do I care for the particular flash upgrades? Not really, as you said not necessarily a better thing. More of a marketing, thing I suppose "eye-catcher", which is understandable from Bauer's marketing aspect.(I would have done the same)

Well done, another succesful job by the guy's over at Bauer.

Thanks for taking the time out to expose them first hand here to us at Modsquad, and share your experience. Much appreciated!

slightly off topic, but do you have lifts in the front f your total ones in that toe cap comparison pic?

slightly off topic, but do you have lifts in the front f your total ones in that toe cap comparison pic?

REALLY OFF TOPIC

JR ..Is that a Crack in the holder right underneath the toecap on your TO's?

No. I was too lazy to switch to the macro lens for this shot; I didn't think it was that necessary.

Remember, I don't have Tuuks on the old TotalONEs so that's maybe why it looks different.

The new "3 Flex" tongue inserts (I assume re-named from Re-flex), appear bigger and extend out more. Please update later on if you notice a difference (for better or for worse) when you skate in them. I assume it will be for the better. Overall nice looking skate, Bauer looks like they worked out some of the "kinks" so to speak of the TotalOnes, and made into an overall better build. Do I care for the particular flash upgrades? Not really, as you said not necessarily a better thing. More of a marketing, thing I suppose "eye-catcher", which is understandable from Bauer's marketing aspect.(I would have done the same)

Well done, another succesful job by the guy's over at Bauer.

Thanks for taking the time out to expose them first hand here to us at Modsquad, and share your experience. Much appreciated!

Length is the same. The old inserts will fit on the new tongue. The new inserts have wings on them for additional protection.

OK, the MSH soakers got me looking for the link to MSH logo products, and I can't seem to find it, or remember where it was.

OK, the MSH soakers got me looking for the link to MSH logo products, and I can't seem to find it, or remember where it was.

We smoked that. We'll have a better solution in the coming months.

If I hadn't just pony'd up for my APX's I'd be all over these things when they're out. Haven't been in a Supreme since my 7000's but these are too sweet!

Any idea how the C width in it will fit compared to the APX D width? About the same due to different lasts used or will be Bauer's narrowest stock boot fit?

Any idea how the C width in it will fit compared to the APX D width? About the same due to different lasts used or will be Bauer's narrowest stock boot fit?

As it was before, C width in that skate is a D in everything else...

Do the new inserts fit in the old toungues. Last and width all the same as TO?? For me i think there is no reason to go for the nxg if you have TO.

Yes; matter of fact, since I wasn't going to be using Mid and Stiff, I asked the guys in the chat room if they wore TO. One of our members who was in there did, and so I asked for his address and sent him the ones I won't be using, no questions asked. They will work on his original TOs. The biggest thing is the increased range of motion in the tendon guard.

Is the C width considerd custom (requiring the custom up charge) or just a special order from Bauer?

Special order, not custom.

Do you just use the OEM footbeds or have you tried/have plans to try Superfeet insoles?

No, I don't. I have custom vacuum-formed Superfeet that I wear in all of my skates. I *may* try SIDAS today when I get them baked; not sure yet.

The biggest thing is the increased range of motion in the tendon guard.

This is what i am waiting to hear about.. the increased range of motion and how that affects the stride.