Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer TotalONE NXG Initial Thoughts

JR. What's the reason for the lift on the back of the skate. Is it an alternate to rockering the blade?

Typically used to promote a more forward pitch which puts you more on your toes and enhances knee bend.

Some brands (like Graf, for example) have an higher rear holder tower out of the factory. Other skates are more neutral, so you can add a lift/wedge to create the same effect.

I really like these. The subtle extra flash of Black & Gold reminds me of my fraternity colors. In addition, I heard that they would be carrying these in a C width, which is huge for guys like me with pencil feet. Thanks for the review.

I really like these. The subtle extra flash of Black & Gold reminds me of my fraternity colors. In addition, I heard that they would be carrying these in a C width, which is huge for guys like me with pencil feet. Thanks for the review.

Not really. Supreme is built on an oversized last, so a C is a D and a D is an E.

Hmmm i didnt know there was something narrowest than D, my x60 as been pretty beat up since a long time, i was was always a vapor guy but i figured i'd try the totalone, i've tried the exact same size ( 8D ) and they felt realy big. Would 8C solve the problem?

also what is the difference of stiffness between x60 / apx / totalone NXG in order?

thanks!

JR it looks from the pictures that they narrowed the ankle portion of the NXG (back of abkle to front) compared to the totalONE. Truth or optical illusion? If true does that have any impact on fit and performance?

Optical illusion...the heel piece is squared off in the NXG.

BTW - started LTR last Sunday. Ask any questions here.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60314-bauer-supreme-totalone-nxg/

Hmmm i didnt know there was something narrowest than D, my x60 as been pretty beat up since a long time, i was was always a vapor guy but i figured i'd try the totalone, i've tried the exact same size ( 8D ) and they felt realy big. Would 8C solve the problem?

also what is the difference of stiffness between x60 / apx / totalone NXG in order?

thanks!

Yes, because a D Supreme would be an E Vapor. That's why they felt too wide.

Random question... Any pics of the NXG, .9 and .8 side by side?

You can check the uploaded bauer 2012 catalogue

Great review bro!

I like the look alot. I am still not 100% sold on the tongue...but as you know I am a die hard "ol skool" thick felt tongue skater. I love the advance of the tendon guard. I think that is the most advanced difference over the orginal TOs. I havent had any issue with mine...but mine are not retail so it's not a fair comparison.

I wish Bauer would go with true width sizing accross the board, and make the C width a MTO for retail on both Supremes and Vapors. It is challenging for "extra-medium" folks that need true C widths. Next to no one does it in a true C. Seems like skate manufacturers focus on larger widths but don't provide many retail options for narrow widths.

I wish Bauer would go with true width sizing accross the board, and make the C width a MTO for retail on both Supremes and Vapors. It is challenging for "extra-medium" folks that need true C widths. Next to no one does it in a true C. Seems like skate manufacturers focus on larger widths but don't provide many retail options for narrow widths.

+1

Optical illusion...the heel piece is squared off in the NXG.

BTW - started LTR last Sunday. Ask any questions here.

http://www.modsquadh...e-totalone-nxg/

Yes, because a D Supreme would be an E Vapor. That's why they felt too wide.

JR, you mentioned that a noticeable difference between the NXG and the TotalOne is mobility, do you feel any other major differences in the performance having tried both?

What I'm really wondering is whether its worth the extra money ($200) to buy the NXG over the cheaper TotalOnes.

Great review bro!

I like the look alot. I am still not 100% sold on the tongue...but as you know I am a die hard "ol skool" thick felt tongue skater. I love the advance of the tendon guard. I think that is the most advanced difference over the orginal TOs. I havent had any issue with mine...but mine are not retail so it's not a fair comparison.

I totally agree. Easton used to have narrows as well and got rid of them as far as I know. Bauer doesn't offer a Vapor C. Other than Graf (which I will never wear), there aren't any retail options for a narrow foot. Thank goodness for customs.

JR, you mentioned that a noticeable difference between the NXG and the TotalOne is mobility, do you feel any other major differences in the performance having tried both?

What I'm really wondering is whether its worth the extra money ($200) to buy the NXG over the cheaper TotalOnes.

That's the major one; that's the main tweak compared to T1.

MLSMan - my own experience with the TotalOne NXG is that it is a True width, of course volume plays a part as well.

JR,

Does the increase in the range of motion only apply to the finishing part of the push (ie the toe-flick)? Certainly doesn't look like it'd affect the forward flex in any shape or form...

Why do you think you didn't need to rebake? The internals of the skate so as the dimensions supposedly remained the same no?

How do you find the stiffness comparing with the past models?

Thx!

Yes, that's what was changed...so naturally it would be in the back.

Because I probably rebaked because of the issue I had in the TO trying to get them dialed in - this time I started out with the right inserts.

All in all, feels the same. Nothing changed internally as far as I know, or have been told.

MLSMan - my own experience with the TotalOne NXG is that it is a True width, of course volume plays a part as well.

I went on and tried NXG and have to agree with this post. retail D is the true D width, feels exactly the same as my custom D TotalOnes (customs were already true to size) which is narrower then the retail totalone D (which used to be E last for T1s)

The shop also told me that Bauer is standardizing sizing for this year skates and so what used to be a D fitting like E doesn't feel the same anymore.

JR - you commented twice on it saying that the sizing remained the same but this really doesn't appear to be the case?

I went on and tried NXG and have to agree with this post. retail D is the true D width, feels exactly the same as my custom D TotalOnes (customs were already true to size) which is narrower then the retail totalone D (which used to be E last for T1s)

The shop also told me that Bauer is standardizing sizing for this year skates and so what used to be a D fitting like E doesn't feel the same anymore.

JR - you commented twice on it saying that the sizing remained the same but this really doesn't appear to be the case?

Can anyone else CONFIRM this? This is actually kinda important...

My experience with them so far, mimics JRs experience and mine from the previous generation. They are built on the wider last as they were last year. I'm still putting people that are too wide for a Vapor into the Supreme and having that fit them nicely.