Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bruins89

CCM making a comeback?

when i was growing up CCM seemed to be 'the company'. In 08 I believe, they had major problems with their skates, and just seemed to have fallen off in the market from the player they once were. more recently however(2010-12), their skates have received a lot of positive reviews with durability issues seemingly being fixed. there CL gloves look very sharp and get good praise. there new protective line has a lot of buildup for reducing weight while offering great protection. the hype behind the rbz stick is already crazy. i think ccm is making a really competitive push in all areas. what do you guys think of CCMs offerings lately?

I have a new pair of CCM skates (U+ 06) that are fantastic. I've always liked their skates. Not too crazy about their sticks, but the RBZ looks interesting.

I think the RBZ line is really going to bring CCM back into the spotlight. I don't think it'll necessarily take a lot away from the Bauer/Easton share, but I definitely think you'll start to see more CCM around. I'm really excited for the RBZ stick personally.

CCM went on a long downward slide starting around 2000-2001. Over the last couple years they have made significant improvements and some of their gear is now quite good. If people give their gear a fair chance, they should do well this year.

I have a new pair of CCM skates (U+ 06) that are fantastic. I've always liked their skates. Not too crazy about their sticks, but the RBZ looks interesting.

+1. Aside from a rivet coming loose after a half dozen uses, I love my U+06's!

CCM went on a long downward slide starting around 2000-2001. Over the last couple years they have made significant improvements and some of their gear is now quite good. If people give their gear a fair chance, they should do well this year.

Agreed.

If it makes a difference, some impressions I got were that the current U+ skate line anchored by the CL is a drastic improvement over the old Vector line and U+ Pro line. Better 'fit' characteristics in the lower boot, better/more ankle padding and improved durability.

I was very impressed with the old Vector line (anchored by the V10) of protective gear at all pricepoints as well, particularly the shins, pants and shoulders. I can see how and why CCM decided to continue with their low-profile design in their shoulders (which you see now in the newly NHL-popular U+ Pro pad) and from early impressions, the CL seems to be a worthy improvement. Impacts should be as spread out as possible and I think the low-profile caps offer that to the whole shoulder and arm, as opposed to the shoulder cap itself. Better protection for both the hitter and the one being hit. The mid to high end shins had excellent wrap around the calves and a really comfy and thick inner liner. Strapping was really well designed. Pants had a good leg up (pun intended) on the competition, especially the V06 and V08, which unfortunately, have not been carried over to the current U+ line in terms of the amount of padding.

The one thing that I always thought CCM lacked was a strong stick offering. Perhaps this RBZ will be that.

I have their pants and their shoulders, both U+09s and I've been very happy. Both have held up really well. I especially like the low profile shoulders and it seems that many NHL players agree with me as they seem to be the shoulders I see the most whenever their is a shot of an NHL locker room.

I'm sure the RBZ will sell a lot off the get go.. but the true test.. if they will sell a second, or third time.

I'll say that CCM has definitely made a very concious (and marketable) effort to step their game up. Their product is definitely a very good quality and, for now, at a price point that is competitive.

I'll be hard pressed to stop using their shoulder/chest pads. I'm currently using the U+ 09 and love the lower profile caps. I'm a skinny guy so using the more traditional caps that Bauer, Sherwood, and Easton use make me feel like a football player. They just tend to limit mobility for me. The CCM pads fit me much better and are light.

Their CL gloves are amazing. I love them. They took a little getting used too, but now that they're broken in, I doubt I'll switch to another brand.

The CL+ stick is great. I think for the money it makes a very cost effective high/pro end stick. I've been very happy with it. Is it better than the APX or other compareable sticks? That's up to the user. If I were to pay for a quality stick like this it's tough to say if I'd go back to Bauer or stick with CCM.

Putting some of the industry stuff aside, and saying this strictly on merit, I've been thrilled with my U+ CL skates. Comfort is off the charts, and the quality has been ok. The outsole is pulling away a bit on the outside of the right skate, but other than that no complaints.

I never had a good impression of CCM's gear (still won't even look at their sticks, let alone use one), but the CL skate has been a revelation for me - on a neverending skate hunt to replace my Mission skates to which I was fiercely loyal for years - and I couldn't be happier.

I'll be hard pressed to stop using their shoulder/chest pads. I'm currently using the U+ 09 and love the lower profile caps. I'm a skinny guy so using the more traditional caps that Bauer, Sherwood, and Easton use make me feel like a football player. They just tend to limit mobility for me. The CCM pads fit me much better and are light.

The fit series shoulder pads seem to be making a pretty big impact for this very reason. Nice low profile, but still a ton of protection.

Currently using the CL skates and CS blades. I can't say a bad thing about either. As a replacement for custom Grafs, I was a little hesitant to go with the CL skates. Needless to say, I think that they are exceptional skates. They broke in fairly fast and are very comfortable. They were a great fit out of the oven and, now that they are broken in, they are just as or even more comfortable than my Grafs. I think that CCM has made great strides in their product quality but the reality is that they still have a long way to go. Any loss of customer confidence is a major blow that sometimes companies can not regain. CCM is not on the same level in the eyes of most customers at this time but I think that, if they continue with the course that they are on, they can regain some of what has been lost.

I have quite a few CCM products in my current gear setup, and every piece seems well thought out. I love the strap system on the elbow pads. The shoulder pads are low profile and have great mobility.

they have no choice but to go back to making quality and innovative gear since they dont have an alex ovechkin to put his face and name on marketing

they have no choice but to go back to making quality and innovative gear since they dont have an alex ovechkin to put his face and name on marketing

It's not either or. CCM didn't have Ovechkin when Tacks was still around and CCM had Ovechkin when the V10 stuff was around. Athletes come and go, but quality gear is still quality gear.

This is the first year I have started to use CCM. The Bauer helmets just never fit my head, the 4500, 5100. So I switched to the v8. That helmet really fits my head and have taken a good many hits without a problem. It looks pretty good with a visor as well. The U+10 skates were the best skate that fit me in that $300 pricepoint (i tried on 9ks, x5.o, one70, and eq30). The u+10 skates may be the only skate I have actually liked in my entire playing career. (Vapors, Grafs, eastons before).

The CL stick seemed a little weak to me, but I found a HD prostock version of the CL that I have really been impressed with. I still think my easton sticks have an edge, but for a $110 prostock CL, I would do it every time. Although the RBZ might peak my interest enough to try.

Looking to add the CL gloves soon, they feel great and I have only heard great things about them. Havent been too happy with my last two pairs of eagles and bauer 4rolls.

Will probably even look into getting CCM pants as well. This protection line coming out, like everyone says, has promise.

Two years ago i would never have used ANY of CCM's stuff. Now I usually look to them for equipment first.

With the top 3 picks of last draft using their new RBZ stick (RNH, Landeskog and now Huberdeau) I doubt they will be faceless much soon. Tavares, Nugent Hopkins, Landeskog, Huberdeau, plus many, many other rookies using their stuff. Their CHL and USHL sponsorships are going to start paying dividends real soon

Just looking at the number of views for each company in the 2012 catalog thread illustrates how much work they have to do to catch up. They have made some strides in product, namley gloves and skates and I hope that that trend continues. I grew up wearing Tacks up until CCM stopped making them. That move alone probably did just as much if not more damage to the brand than the subpar offerings they put out for several years. They alienated the only segment of the market that had a connection and loyalty to the line.

I grew up wearing Tacks up until CCM stopped making them. That move alone probably did just as much if not more damage to the brand than the subpar offerings they put out for several years. They alienated the only segment of the market that had a connection and loyalty to the line.

This. Horrible marketing decision getting rid of one of hockey's iconic lines. Hope that guy got fired.

Just looking at the number of views for each company in the 2012 catalog thread illustrates how much work they have to do to catch up. They have made some strides in product, namley gloves and skates and I hope that that trend continues. I grew up wearing Tacks up until CCM stopped making them. That move alone probably did just as much if not more damage to the brand than the subpar offerings they put out for several years. They alienated the only segment of the market that had a connection and loyalty to the line.

I disagree that the number of views means anything, but I definitely agree that getting rid of the Tacks line was a mistake. To me, the Tacks name signified a quality skate. The two pairs I had were nothing short of fantastic, even if the Prolite holders sucked.

The new U+s are great, but U+ just doesn't have the same cachet as Tacks or Supreme.

Totally agree with this. I'm happy that they appear to have upped their game in recent years, however I'd be absolutely ecstatic if they revived Tacks. I grew up wearing Tacks as well, I never considered another make of skate. I can understand them wanting to modernise their line up, however like you say they lost a lot of goodwill when they binned that line.

Both Bauer and CCM recognized that heritage names alone would not sell product. Bauer updated the Supreme line and created an excellent product that sells better than ever before. CCM, on the other hand, simply dumped the Tacks name. Again, this comes back to the long line of mistakes that they made over the last decade+, the new product has become quite good over the last couple years.

It seems to me that at least part of CCM's slump is related to the Adidas ownership group's decision to focus and grow Reebok as the Hockey Company's central label.

For example, they used their jersey and apparel deals with the NHL to promote Reebok whereas in the past, this was CCM. They've also used their business heft to get Reebok merchandise into the public eye at the expense of their other brands. When you see occasional ads or commercials on TV for the NHL that feature youth players, they're usually decked out head to toe in Reebok gear.

Of course the products themselves are a big part of a brand's success (or lack thereof), I would not discount the effect of being the little brother in the Hockey Company family. I have absolutely no insight into whether CCM and Reebok are run as completely different companies from a R&D perspective but I find their co-existence is interesting. Nike tried to play a similar game on a much smaller scale with Nike and Bauer before merging those brands, for better or worse.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any insight into how Reebok and CCM work together... or don't.

I was at a conference at the Bell Centre when they showed dealers the original U+ skate. One of the things that was discussed was the dumping of the Tacks name. They said that the name didn't reverberate with their target market demographic, who didn't grow up wearing Tacks, and they were exactly right.

Joker - before, they were separate but equal; they had separate departments; different product managers. So, for skates, you had a CCM skate PM and a Reebok skate PM, who worked independently of each other. It's no longer like that, I believe they restructured a couple of years ago.