Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bruins89

CCM making a comeback?

Love to see that the brand is relevant again. I grew up wearing Tacks and 492/HT2 helmets. Switched to Grafs after the Tacks line was phased out, but the U+ CL brought me back. They never missed a beat in the helmet department IMO with the Vector Series.

Their problem area has definitely been their sticks. The early Vectors were like boat anchors, but first U+ stick (the navy one) was one of the best retail sticks I have ever used. I still have the shaft and use it regularly. However the models that followed have been a huge disappointment as far as quality and feel.

Hopefully all of the buzz being generated around their skates and protective line will spur them to get to work on the sticks!

CCM went on a long downward slide starting around 2000-2001. Over the last couple years they have made significant improvements and some of their gear is now quite good. If people give their gear a fair chance, they should do well this year.

I thought their slide started well before that. I actually liked the U-Pro skate, but unfortunately I developed an ankle issue with them and am sheepish about giving the CL a try. Their protective has been good over the past few years and the new shoulder pad is phenomenal.

I've actually seen a fair bit of people talking about the new CCM stick. They seem excited for the pairing up with Taylormade, who knows if it will work out, but it has people talking. I even overheard one person say it will cost $500 and be unbreakable..... :mellow:

I thought their slide started well before that. I actually liked the U-Pro skate, but unfortunately I developed an ankle issue with them and am sheepish about giving the CL a try. Their protective has been good over the past few years and the new shoulder pad is phenomenal.

The 952 wasn't great but when they went to the silver/purple and copper colors on the Tacks, it was straight down hill. The last generation pro tacks and X92 series skates were actually decent, they were just heavy when the rest of the industry was starting to go light.

The 952 wasn't great but when they went to the silver/purple and copper colors on the Tacks, it was straight down hill. The last generation pro tacks and X92 series skates were actually decent, they were just heavy when the rest of the industry was starting to go light.

didn't they change the last as well? I could get in the tacks series before the x92, etc..but not after. If not I'll blame weight gain changing my foot and not the skate.

didn't they change the last as well? I could get in the tacks series before the x92, etc..but not after. If not I'll blame weight gain changing my foot and not the skate.

Yes, the X92 tacks were a different fit and did not fit me as well. I was only talking about the quality of the product overall.

Agreed on quality. The line was falling behind and between the fit change and being behind the curve on the market shift doomed tacks. Wonder if they did a totalone-esque tack if it would sell? speculation of course, I know it's hard to get back marketshare once it's lost. unless you revolutionize the market itself and offer/convince the primary demographic (pros, the teens) you can't get it back.

Happened to hold a Reebok 20k today. FWIW, it seems to be a very well built skate.

Much stiffer than the 11k and much more, ahem, Bauer like.Also seemed to be much narrower in the heel than previous models...that could be just how it looks, didn't get a chance to try it on.

Is Taylor Made's technology really being put in the new CCM stick?

I'm going to say probably:

My son is using U+12 skates. He's on them a lot. He's only had them a little over a year and they're begining to come apart. Especially the eyelets, it seems one pretty much disintegrates every other week.

My son is using U+12 skates. He's on them a lot. He's only had them a little over a year and they're begining to come apart. Especially the eyelets, it seems one pretty much disintegrates every other week.

my U+CL eyelets fell apart too about 6 months, however i was on the ice 4-5x a week i also didnt air them out too well. other major problems were a cracked holder and a skate cut but i dont think those are CCMs fault.

Love to see that the brand is relevant again. I grew up wearing Tacks and 492/HT2 helmets. Switched to Grafs after the Tacks line was phased out, but the U+ CL brought me back. They never missed a beat in the helmet department IMO with the Vector Series.

Their problem area has definitely been their sticks. The early Vectors were like boat anchors, but first U+ stick (the navy one) was one of the best retail sticks I have ever used. I still have the shaft and use it regularly. However the models that followed have been a huge disappointment as far as quality and feel.

Hopefully all of the buzz being generated around their skates and protective line will spur them to get to work on the sticks!

First U+ or first U+CL?

I've actually seen a fair bit of people talking about the new CCM stick. They seem excited for the pairing up with Taylormade, who knows if it will work out, but it has people talking. I even overheard one person say it will cost $500 and be unbreakable..... :mellow:

$500? No stick is that good! Although Greg Millen said earlier this week that Chara would even have a harder shot if he used the RBZ. Maybe he knows something we don't.

$500? No stick is that good! Although Greg Millen said earlier this week that Chara would even have a harder shot if he used the RBZ. Maybe he knows something we don't.

The an unbreakable stick would not be legal for play. The Rocketbladz could be just what CCM needs to become a serious threat to Bauer and Easton in the stick battle.

The an unbreakable stick would not be legal for play. The Rocketbladz could be just what CCM needs to become a serious threat to Bauer and Easton in the stick battle.

What rule prevents a stick from being "unbreakable"?

Is Reebok still directly tied to CCM? If so, I thought that was a bad idea for them in the first place — basically splitting their brand in half, you'd have to consider the market share of CCM + Reebok together right?

Is Reebok still directly tied to CCM? If so, I thought that was a bad idea for them in the first place — basically splitting their brand in half, you'd have to consider the market share of CCM + Reebok together right?

Both brands are part of Adidas...so is TaylorMade.

What rule prevents a stick from being "unbreakable"?

By NHL rule a stick must break in half otherwise a player could spear himself with his own stick in a hit against the boards. This rule was entered when aluminum shafts first were introduced in the 1980s.

my U+CL eyelets fell apart too about 6 months, however i was on the ice 4-5x a week i also didnt air them out too well. other major problems were a cracked holder and a skate cut but i dont think those are CCMs fault.

Eyelets can be repaired with new ones. Take the skates to an LHS for repairs, good as new!

I used the 2011/12 U+ CL stick (Blue matte one, not red grip), with a tavares curve, 85 flex, and loved it. Extremely light and good feel. Only problem is that my blade broke, it just split apart near the middle. I figure it was because Ive been taking alot of slappers this year, really trying to put all my weight into the shot, and trying to work on my technique. I wouldnt mind another one, just hoping hoping they go on sale soon since new stock should be arriving soon. I also used the U+ pro, from a year earlier and found it to be a nice stick, not as great of feel as the newer line though, probaby due to the new blaze design. Only problem with these sticks is blade durability. The blade didnt really chip or break down, it just broke all of a sudden. Otherwise the rest of the stick held up well, and I wouldnt mind sticking with CCM, as they seem to be improving their products every year,

I was not in any way saying that the stick will be unbreakable or cost $500, obviously it won't be either of these, that is just what I have heard other people saying about it. Shows how much hype is surrounding it. It is kind of nice to see CCM products getting this attention in the general public.

By NHL rule a stick must break in half otherwise a player could spear himself with his own stick in a hit against the boards. This rule was entered when aluminum shafts first were introduced in the 1980s.

Eyelets can be repaired with new ones. Take the skates to an LHS for repairs, good as new!

A bit off topic buy I actually saw on discovery a couple years ago someone who speared themselves using a composite, it broke in half and went about 8 inches deep.

in terms of CCM products, i bought all Fit line gear recently and love it, no issues. going to need to upgrade skates pretty soon here, so we will see what they have out on the market.

as for breakable sticks, i would think a breakable stick would be more dangerous that one which is breakable, in terms of being able to stab someone, no?