Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pbhockey4

Talk of Coyotes moving?

You'd be facing similar proximity issues with Seattle and Vancouver, as well as competing with area WHL teams.

Fair enough. I just don't see a natural fanbase for a team in Sacramento.

You'd be facing similar proximity issues with Seattle and Vancouver, as well as competing with area WHL teams.

In some cases proximity can help create a rivalry. 140 miles and a border crossing between arenas is probably enough in the case of Seattle and Vancouver.

I think it definitely adds to Ducks/Kings matchups and part of the Boston/Montreal fun is the number of fans that make the trip to each city.

Law goalie nailed it. I have family in Scottsdale and have been to a couple of games. Most of their natural fanbase is north of the city and the arena is southwest of it. It's not an easy ride. If they put it up towards Scottsdale this never would have happened.

This is why no one goes to New England Revolution games, Gillette is in the middle of no where.

The PNW could really use its own US team to build a good fan base, but I am not sure Seattle( or Portland for that matter) would fill an arena. I have a good buddy who calls the lines in the W and from what he has told me, the attendance in both cities is marginal at best. I think the key for any future city to succeed is to have a strong youth hockey foundation. Surprisingly in the Pacific NW, the youth hockey scene is horrible.

The PNW could really use its own US team to build a good fan base, but I am not sure Seattle( or Portland for that matter) would fill an arena. I have a good buddy who calls the lines in the W and from what he has told me, the attendance in both cities is marginal at best. I think the key for any future city to succeed is to have a strong youth hockey foundation. Surprisingly in the Pacific NW, the youth hockey scene is horrible.

Not really all that surprising. The best players leave once they hit Bantams. Been that way for years.

Seattle would be a good destination. I've heard rumblings that if Seattle does land the Coyotes (and all this is dependent on the NBA deal going on with the Kings) that the WHL teams will merge, Personally, I think that's not really gonna happen at all.

Beyond the 4 teams in one state, which, yeah, not that big a deal, Sacramento is only 2 hours from San Jose, which is a fairly well established fan base. I would think Seattle or somewhere a little further away would be a better location.

Anaheim is 20 miles from L.A.

How many teams are in the same amount of land on the East Coast?

How far is Philly from Pittsburgh? The Rangers from the Devils or the Islanders? Tampa from Miami?

i mean when you think about it, The West is pretty sparse compared to the Eastern Conference.

Fair enough. I just don't see a natural fanbase for a team in Sacramento.

The Stockton Thunder in the ECHL have over 5,000 seats filled every game. Obviously I am biased, but the fans here are pretty loyal. But...it would be weird after being a Sharks fan for 20 years to need to become a fan of a different team.

Anaheim is 20 miles from L.A.

How many teams are in the same amount of land on the East Coast?

How far is Philly from Pittsburgh? The Rangers from the Devils or the Islanders? Tampa from Miami?

i mean when you think about it, The West is pretty sparse compared to the Eastern Conference.

The Stockton Thunder in the ECHL have over 5,000 seats filled every game. Obviously I am biased, but the fans here are pretty loyal. But...it would be weird after being a Sharks fan for 20 years to need to become a fan of a different team.

Philly and Pittsburgh are over 5 hours apart, and Tampa and Miami are 4 and a half hours apart, and the Islanders attendance is brutal. I think the Ducks are kind of an anomaly.

And you kind of hit on my point. The Sharks are well established and most hockey fans in the area are Sharks fans and I don't know how easy it would be to get support for a new team so close to SJ.

Philly and Pittsburgh are over 5 hours apart, and Tampa and Miami are 4 and a half hours apart, and the Islanders attendance is brutal. I think the Ducks are kind of an anomaly.

And you kind of hit on my point. The Sharks are well established and most hockey fans in the area are Sharks fans and I don't know how easy it would be to get support for a new team so close to SJ.

Well I guess my East coast Geography sucks. I did not realize Pennsylvania is that big!

It would be tough, but I think we could adjust if we got a team...as long as it is not the Coyotes! HAHAHA!

There is no need for a strong youth hockey program for an NHL team to be successful. In fact, it is usually the appearance and/or success of an NHL team that drives youth hockey in the US.

Well I guess my East coast Geography sucks. I did not realize Pennsylvania is that big!

The population density of the east coast, from Washington to Boston is much higher than anywhere else in the country. The large cities are much closer than out west. The NHL will be looking to bring in a new market if they allow a team to move, not potentially saturate an existing market.

There is no need for a strong youth hockey program for an NHL team to be successful. In fact, it is usually the appearance and/or success of an NHL team that drives youth hockey in the US.

The population density of the east coast, from Washington to Boston is much higher than anywhere else in the country. The large cities are much closer than out west. The NHL will be looking to bring in a new market if they allow a team to move, not potentially saturate an existing market.

Which, even if Hartford wasn't the shit hole of a city it has become the NHL will never come back.

In fact, it is usually the appearance and/or success of an NHL team that drives youth hockey in the US.

Exactly why I selfishly want an NHL team in Houston. Dallas is so far ahead of Houston in terms of youth hockey, and it's all thanks to the Stars.

Law goalie nailed it. I have family in Scottsdale and have been to a couple of games. Most of their natural fanbase is north of the city and the arena is southwest of it. It's not an easy ride. If they put it up towards Scottsdale this never would have happened.

Sorry the rink (jobing.com) is only 45 minutes from Scottsdale and just slightly to the southwest. The real fanbase is in the East Valley, that is where the majority of the rinks are with only one rink being on the west side (Polar Ice Peoria) there are 5 rinks in the East valley area (inlcuding Scottsdale's Ice Den, where the yotes used to practice). But I will agree that by building a rink on the west side is where they went wrong. They really should have built it in the East valley near talking stick or even Mesa Riverview/Tempe. They could have had college kids (ASU) and plenty of out of towners (Mesa is known for it's snowbirds) not to mention the already built in fanbase and hockey playing population of the area. Hell they would have attracted some Tucsoners to come to town to watch if they were further south. The location doomed the franchise, they didn't have ownership issues when they played at America West Arena or whatever the hell it's called now.

They tried to build the arena and retail complex in downtown Scottsdale but Scottsdale had their head up their ass and wouldn't do it. I think Mesa was a considered site as well. I believe they ended up getting a great deal on the land,etc to build the complex in Glendale and went with it. US Airways (former America West Arena) had no visibility for upper level North end, you couldn't see a third of the ice at all, and I thought I remember hearing that due to Colangelo's involvement with the arena (not much money on concessions made for Coyotes, etc,etc ) they wanted out. If that arena could have been modified for hockey and lease/concessions/etc could have been worked out, some issues of poor attendance would be better. Unfortunately the buffoons running the franchise prior to the past 2-3 years were idiots and on-ice product was crap.

And people in PHX do not buy tickets when teams are sucking. Suns, Dbacks, Sun Devils, Coyotes, they all drop heavy in attendance when poor play ensues. Hell, even when the Dbacks were racing into the playoffs last year they were practically giving away tickets to get people to go. PHX has too many transplants with ties to former cities that won't commit to PHX teams. A shit economy ain't helping either. I hope they stay because it really has helped grow the game for youth and adult hockey here and that's one of the best parts of the team being here. More people get to experience this great game.

If I remember correctly they signed on with Glendale because of the Cardinals having a stadium there and the whole shopping complex of the site. Not to mention they built the arena before the bubble burst on real estate and Glendale was growing pretty quickly. Which is a shame because the East Valley was growing at the same rate, I really think the Cardinals stadium being built is what pushed them to Glendale. and You're right about the obstructed view in AWA, it was pretty bad. I hope they stay too, hell if I win the Mega Millions Friday they just might stay ;)

If I remember correctly they signed on with Glendale because of the Cardinals having a stadium there and the whole shopping complex of the site. Not to mention they built the arena before the bubble burst on real estate and Glendale was growing pretty quickly. Which is a shame because the East Valley was growing at the same rate, I really think the Cardinals stadium being built is what pushed them to Glendale. and You're right about the obstructed view in AWA, it was pretty bad. I hope they stay too, hell if I win the Mega Millions Friday they just might stay ;)

The owner (Steve Elleman) at the time was heavily invested in the Glendale real estate project. He moved the team there to make it easier to develop the rest of the project. Then he sold the team once they moved.

Holy crap, this is getting annoying. What the hell is Bettman doing? NOBODY but him wants to keep them in Pheonix. They ARE goign to move sooner or later. Why not make it now, because they like to lose everybody's time and money? Because it brings the NHL some publicity? It IS going to work in Quebec, just look at Winnipeg. Imagine what it feels like to be a Coyote, imagine the stress, uncertainty and pressure, I'm sure they want this situation to be resolved as soon as possible yet it keeps being pushed back.

''About 82 percent of season-ticket holders renewed for next season despite the uncertainty'', they throw this around like it's a good thing. It's not. They can barely fill half of the seats and now they just lost another 20%. It was a failure, it's time to move on.

I lived in Seattle for about ten years and I don't think there would be enough interested fans to support an NHL team, but y'never know. The Thunderbirds (WHL) play in neighboring Kent (~30 mins away) and the attendance statistics are mediocre:

http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/schedule/year/2012/42

Hockey capacity for the arena is 6,500. After the whole debacle with the Sonics, support for a new team/arena in the city would be minimal. I don't think that Seattle's proximity to Vancouver would be an issue, hockey just isn't very big in the Seattle area.

As a resident of Hamilton, I find the whole argument disappointing. There was a buyer ready to go but the NHL decided to piss away millions fighting it and allowed Glendale to piss away millions trying to prop it up while this potential buyer was willing to invest millions investing in it. Yes, I'm still bitter.

As a resident of Hamilton, I find the whole argument disappointing. There was a buyer ready to go but the NHL decided to piss away millions fighting it and allowed Glendale to piss away millions trying to prop it up while this potential buyer was willing to invest millions investing in it. Yes, I'm still bitter.

Because they didn't want the Sabres to be bankrupt in a year or two when all of their canadian season ticket holders didn't renew.

I think its funny for the coyotes who have been in the nhl for 15 years everytime they make the playoffs they do their whiteout thing and havent won the cup since haha.

Funny that you mention the white-out. I was wondering if that was responsible in any way for the game winning goal by Chicago last night. Aucoin sent the puck hard around the boards where Stalberg (in his white road jersey) deflected it to Bickell. I'm just wondering if the white-out effect actually backfires since the league changed the home-road jersey colors.