Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pbhockey4

Talk of Coyotes moving?

The disparity of revenue is drastic.

That's exactly why I said that the NHL needed to address revenue sharing in the lockout. There is no way a team can make money let alone compete over the long term when they face such a huge disparity in revenue. The sad thing is Canada is pretty much at the point of saturation for teams as it is now. Another franchise in Toronto and possibly Q-City are the only places that even have the potential for supporting an additional franchise, without gutting the fanbase of an existing team.

Unfortunately, that's what you get when you have a relatively strong commissioner that is more concerned with making sure the owners are happy than making sure the league is on solid financial footing.

That's exactly why I said that the NHL needed to address revenue sharing in the lockout. There is no way a team can make money let alone compete over the long term when they face such a huge disparity in revenue. The sad thing is Canada is pretty much at the point of saturation for teams as it is now. Another franchise in Toronto and possibly Q-City are the only places that even have the potential for supporting an additional franchise, without gutting the fanbase of an existing team.

Unfortunately, that's what you get when you have a relatively strong commissioner that is more concerned with making sure the owners are happy than making sure the league is on solid financial footing.

Not necessarily saying I agree or disagree with everything in this article but it pretty much more or less sums up given Bettman's austerity measures why the Coyotes can't survive in spite of the population of Phoenix and why additional Canadian teams could actually make money:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/?_r=0

That article doesn't take into account the other big piece of the revenue pie, corporate money.

That article is flawed in more ways as well. No accounting for the influence of national TV contracts, local market affluence, etc... Adding a team in Hamilton would kill the Sabres, something the league does not want either. It will be interesting to see what happens with Winnipeg over the next couple years. If they can be successful (profitable) over a couple years, you are more likely to see them try another Canadian city. Having the second highest ticket prices in the league without much of a corporate base will make for an interesting experiment.

Half the shares are being sold to a third owner, not the team as a whole. The current owners bought the team for 140 mil, and this new guy is buying half the shares at the price of 310 million, so he's paying 170 something for his half, meaning the team has gone up in value. This guy hopefully will actually have interest in the on ice product instead of gimmicky shit

The sale to the last group was pretty contingent on the team staying in AZ. I wonder if being pretty much immediately turned around and sold gets them out of those obligations so they can finally move.

There should be talk of moving the Panthers instead. They drew a little over 7,000 last night. Granted, it's a Monday night in mid October, but still those are AHL numbers. They went as far as adding curtains to the upper deck and west end.

Indeed, the Panthers need to be moved even more than the Coyotes. At least the coyotes have thousands hundreds a handful of super loyal fans that rallied to keep the team.

Indeed, the Panthers need to be moved competitive even more than the Coyotes. At least the coyotes have thousands hundreds a handful of super loyal fans that rallied to keep the team.

Fixed it for you.

Come on, now. The Bruins once drew barely 9,000 for a game back when they were terrible.

You can't compare the two. Boston is a big market city and the Bruin are an original six team in an area where hockey is very popular.

The point is that when a team sucks and there is no player recognition then attendance suffers. The Panthers have had a revolving door on the dressing room and have had very few successful seasons.

They need an NHL team in Connecticut again. It sucks having to drive 2 hours up to TD Bank, or even further for MSG or Prudential. I'd gladly take the Panthers or the Coyotes.

The point is that when a team sucks and there is no player recognition then attendance suffers. The Panthers have had a revolving door on the dressing room and have had very few successful seasons.

True, and I won't argue that. There is also the side of the argument that, once you get to that point simply "winning" isn't good enough. You need a market that will sustain you when you aren't.

I think it's fair to throw them into any discussion in terms of relocation.

You need a market that will sustain you when you aren't.

This is the part I think some hockey "experts" tend to forget about. You have to be able to keep the team afloat when they suck and also be reasonably confident people will care when they don't. I think the coyotes are much closer to ticking both of those boxes than the panthers are, which is a sad watermark to have to hit.

Let's see the Panthers have a few successful seasons first. The Red Wings were playing to friends and family when Yzerman first came on the scene.

This is the part I think some hockey "experts" tend to forget about. You have to be able to keep the team afloat when they suck and also be reasonably confident people will care when they don't. I think the coyotes are much closer to ticking both of those boxes than the panthers are, which is a sad watermark to have to hit.

The Blackhawks drew fewer people than the AHL team in town when they sucked a decade ago. The Penguins drew less than 10k a night for an entire season, they admitted to using bogus attendance numbers the year before they drafted Sid. If a team sucks long enough, the fans will walk away in any market.

I'm closing this topic until there is something more than just random speculation.