Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wingsnut12

Big Helmet Needed

For the past year I have been trying to find a hockey helmet to fit my enormous head. I have a head circumfrence of roughly 28in. I have tried on all the helmets all the major brands sell but have not been able to find one to fit. I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of issue and if you able to find a helmet that fits. As it looks right now I might have to have a special helmet made, but I haven't been able to find a place able to do this. If anyone out there can help it would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you

Likely retardedly hard to find at this point, but you have what I call the "JOFA 390" head. That helmet was the fit solution to end all problems and we use to order a few just to fill the void. You could also try the Jofa 690 helmet probably one of the best fitting helmets ever because of the back shell piece went under front shell piece. The 690 might be easier to find.

My head is around 26.5", and none of the above mentioned helmets fit right. I wear a 4500 XL, but it's definitely a tight fit. I had a Reebok 4k in XL that I sent to my dad (slightly smaller head) that I could get on, but felt a tiny bit tighter than the 4500. I've also been on a quest to find a better fitting helmet. I'm interested to see how the Warrior helmet fits when it comes out... apparently they have 4 different sized shells so maybe the XL will fit bigger heads.

Is there a certain part of the helmet you're struggling to fit in? i.e. temples/length?

For me, it's right around the temples, and the M11 has been the best fit so far. Looking forward to the Krown.

I know you said you looked at all the major helmets, but if you havent checked out the CCM V08, you may want to look at that. I find its one of the largest fitting helmets out there.

And if you tried another CCM, still try the V08. It runs larger than the rest of their helmets, I'm a medium in eveyrthing else, but a small in the V08.

The Krown fits smaller then other helmets, don't get your hopes up on the XL being overly big.

I'll put it this way, I could fit into the Bauer Re-AKT in a medium, For the 11K, V10, V08, 9900, 8500, 7500, S13, M11, 7/6K I need a large. I need an XL in the Krown, as well as the 4500, 5100 and s19. The Re-AKT is one helmet that you might want to look at. Still will probably be too small, but it is really deep and its size surprised me.

PMurphy is right on this one, the old jofa 3/690 will be your best bet, those things were huge. Anyone else thinking an HT2 in an XL would work? As for present day helmets, I think you might be SOL.

It has as much to do with the shape of your head as anything else. I have a big head (size 7 3/4 or 7 7/8 fitted cap), but also fairly wide/round head. Because of that, I've had a lot of trial and error in trying on helmes. I had good luck with a Jofa 690, and when it needed replacing, I found the Bauer 9500/9900 in an XL works well for me. I couldn't get my head in a 4500, even in an XL if my life depended on it because it's just too narrow. The Bauer 5500 and 7500, same deal. For whatever reason, I find helmets padded with EPP or similar foams work a little better than their VN counterparts. I could wear an XL Reebok 8k for example, but a 4k is a bit tighter squeeze. Ditto the CCM V10 and V08 (I found both of these a bit deep/tall for my head, but that may work better for your head shape). For what it's worth, the Easton S19 in an XL is the only helmet I've ever found to be too big for my head (the L was too small, so I was kind of in between on that one). If you can track down a Mission Intake in a L, it might work for you.

I'll second the V08 - I'm a 7 1/2 hat size and wear the large on the smallest setting. Might be able to expand the V08 to about an 8 hat size ...

I'll second the V08 - I'm a 7 1/2 hat size and wear the large on the smallest setting. Might be able to expand the V08 to about an 8 hat size ...

An 8 hat size is probably going to be about 3 inches too small if his head really is 28 inches around.

An 8 hat size is probably going to be about 3 inches too small if his head really is 28 inches around.

Yep my 26ish" head is lucky to find a size 8 hat that fits. I have few adidas Michigan fitted hats that work, but new era size 8's are uncomfortable. My tigers hats I buy directly from the new era website in a size 8 1/4.

or you could get the reebok 11k helmet large helmets, they are also adjustable and u could mke the helmet even larger by adjusting the clips

I've got a 26.5" circumference head which has given me problems fitting in to any size large helmets. I just came across Easton s9 XL helmet on totalhockey.com for only $29 so I thought id give it a try. It actually fits my large noggin with plenty of room to spare. I actually had to make the helmet smaller out of the box rather than stretch it to the largest setting. First time this has ever happened. I've played with it no for 3 games and have no headache afterwards like I'm used to getting.

I've got a 7 3/8 head, pretty average, but obviously wide, 4500 medium halfway open fits for me. the V08 I had in medium was way to long all the way closed and a bit wider.

On 3/27/2012 at 4:52 PM, goblue9280 said:

Yep my 26ish" head is lucky to find a size 8 hat that fits. I have few adidas Michigan fitted hats that work, but new era size 8's are uncomfortable. My tigers hats I buy directly from the new era website in a size 8 1/4.

I also wear a size 8 1/4. Did you end up find a helmet that works for you?

I have a 7 5/8 head and found luck with a L Bauer IMS 7.0.  I tried a L Re-Akt 75 and while there was plenty of room in adjustments, I had some pressure on the temples that made it uncomfortable for me.

Have you tried on the L Re-Akt helmets?

10 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I also wear a size 8 1/4. Did you end up find a helmet that works for you?

The previous post was 6 years ago!