Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Sonic Grip Juice

My roller teammate lent me some Grip Juice to spray on my wheels to clean the rink gunk off of them. I just sprayed it on the dirty wheels and wiped them off with a bandana, it seemed to do the trick.

I'm sure there may be a comparable household type of product available, or maybe this stuff is worth picking up. You guys familiar with it?

SGJ-1.jpg

I bought a bottle of the stuff, and I found the results to be inconclusive. I would spray it on my wheels and wipe it off with a paper towel and found no difference in feel on the floor I play on. I've since switched to different wheels to compensate for my lack of grip, but have yet to try the grip juice with the new set. I suspect the grip juice's lackluster performance was more due to me having piss poor wheels than being an ineffective product though.

Essentially, I believe that the "Grip Juice", is simply a cleaning product that is safe for eurothane based products (like wheels). The idea is that if you have picked up dirt particles or dust or any type of crud on your wheels, they will not perform as well as perfectly clean ones. I use this product before every game that I play... just to make sure I start out the game with nice clean wheels. One pump spray on each wheel while they are spinning, wipe it in with your fingers to get complete coverage, then completely wipe it off dry. If I find that the floor is excessively dirty and I notice a drop in grip throughout the game, I give my wheels a quick wipe with a dry rag between periods. With clean wheels, I notice an improvement in grip over dirty ones.

i agree with henry in that it works great to clean wheels but it will not give you better grip than normal clean wheels. i haven't decided whether or not grip juice works better than plain water. i've filled my empty grip juice bottle with water, spray on rag and cleaned wheels (unlike the grip juice, the water is more harmful to bearings so can't spray directly on wheels). grip juice does advertise there is an anti-static ingredient that helps propel dust. and there may very well be one included, but i haven't been able to tell that it helps significantly or not. i still use grip juice though because if you use it frugally, it is really cheap and it gives me peace of mind that i'm getting the most out of my wheels.

If you don't feel like spending the money on the Grip Juice. Use windex.

I usually spray windex on a rag, and wipe the wheels until they're shiney again.

Edit: Spelling error

I have always thought Windex would be a good substitute. So after I saw the previous post, thought I would give it a try.

Windex certainly gives the wheels a good cleaning... But what I did notice is that it seemed to leave them with a fair bit of static cling! Dust seemed to be attracted to the wheels like a magnet. One wipe with GJ and the static was eliminated!

So maybe Wetwilly had a good point about neutralizing static. That being said, it is hard to say how much of an impact this would have on the grip, probably quite dependent on environmental conditions?

Now that you mention in, there has been a lot of dust clinging to my skates.

I'll have to buy a bottle of this grip juice when I'm at the LHS next. Give it a go.

Windex is a good substitute if you use it before every game I suppose then.

Gave this stuff a try and it is indeed legit. You really need to give it a few sprays per wheel and give each a good rubdown (my rink is filthy). Wheels felt relatively new and retained a good grip for all three periods. I'll probably re-apply this stuff before each game, but it gets my backing.

just ordered the miracle in the bottle. Will try it on fairly new but used Labedas first and then switch to the new addictions I ordered. The add says "Like New" ..shall see.

My rink has that black grey ashy sout dust. My skates are visibly less dirty than others but t may be a couple of different factors as well but I do use the grip. It works real well to clean the wheels and it's amazing the grime that you can't see on the wheels. I wipe/blow off all the dust I can first then I spin the wheel and put a spray or so on it with a paper towel behind it to catch over spray then I go around a couple of times rubbing the dirt off. I use bones swiss bearings and I've never had a bad reaction with them and the grip juice and my bearings have had lasted years on end without even a hitch.

My rink has that black grey ashy sout dust. My skates are visibly less dirty than others but t may be a couple of different factors as well but I do use the grip. It works real well to clean the wheels and it's amazing the grime that you can't see on the wheels. I wipe/blow off all the dust I can first then I spin the wheel and put a spray or so on it with a paper towel behind it to catch over spray then I go around a couple of times rubbing the dirt off. I use bones swiss bearings and I've never had a bad reaction with them and the grip juice and my bearings have had lasted years on end without even a hitch.

I am not doubting the Grip's cleaning ability. Just the name of the stuff is "Grip Juice" - kinda made me think it would add the grip back.

Where do you play bro?

The most reliable method I've used after every game is my sweaty skate sock and wiping the wheels down.

Makes them squeaky clean and a nice fresh grip for the next game.

I have always just used rubbing alcohol, small amount on a rag. That works great for me and I don't notice wheel deterioration out of the normal wear. Depending on cleanliness state of the rink I sometimes bring the rag to the bench to wipe between shifts since it drys fast to keep the "edge".

I just use Windex or a cheaper off brand name. You want to stay away from anything that has ammonia in it.

With alcohol you have to be careful with some wheels it will cause them to swell.

Follow up Post.. I got the Juice. It works pretty well. I mean spray it on it really does something. I think for the cost it is a deff a good add-on to your hockey bag.

Any long term updates on this stuff? Since I recently started playing roller again I'd like to see if this stuff is worth it in the long run.

I've used this stuff for a few seasons, seems to keep wheels clean and looking/feeling new longer. Doesn't seem to do much in terms of added "grip"