Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saber123316

Newb wanna play hockey.

So I am 24 years old, I have never played the game of hockey and want to get into it, I played one pick up game and played 2 shifts before I had to get off the ice due to a chest infection, however that being said I have all my equipment but still I have never skated and prior to playing I went out on the ice twice to learn at a local out door rink, I can skate forward my balance sucks, I can't stop, and cannot skate backwards.

Obviously, I suck. I don;t care.

So I noticed one of my local leagues in Edmonton has a beginner adult program I am gonna sign up for but I am not sure what to do until then.

Thoughts? advice?

Should I go to shinny games?

The beginner adult program is a good place to start. If its comparable to the beginner leagues we have in Calgary, they'll really help get you up to speed.

My suggestion would also include looking into adult learn to skate, perhaps before the beginner adult program, just to become more comfortable with just skating, before adding in the elements of hockey.

I probably wouldn't recommend shinny games unless they're marked as adult beginner. Good luck and enjoy playing!

If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to talk to the folks at the rink, to see what the beginner program is like. If they've got one currently in progress, you might even stop by to see it.

You could get some practice in, just at public skating sessions, which might be even better if you've got a friend who skates, to accompany you.

i agree you should not go to shinny games. you don't have to be good but you do need to know how to stop so you don't hurt yourself and others. go to public skates work on your skating skills it will come to you faster that you think and don't give up on hockey its a hard sport but very fun.

Trying to look for a learn to skate program near my home. would be nice to attend.

You got it right there. Start with skating lessons... you'll get 1000 times more enjoyment out of the sport when you get the basics of skating down. When I was 18 or so, I tried to get my best friend into the sport. He got outfitted in used gear and came out to a random drop-in with me after having only been to a half dozen public skates in his life. Big mistake (especially considering there were a few kids from the USNTDP out there)... he was lost, almost killed himself (and others) and quit shortly after that. So yeah, whatever you can afford, learn-to-skate class, private lessons, whatever, just get out there and get some skating instruction.

If you're talking about the NCHL beginners program that's a good place to start. Had a few buddies do it this year in Calgary. Like everyone said do skating lessons until the program starts. Even then always work on your skating. I started a few years back and my skating still needs major improvement. Looking at some power skating classes.

After you start you might wanna try and get on a few different teams or try some easy shinny here and there. It's hard to get better playing only once a week.

Here's an alternate idea. Buy some cheap rollerblades, then you can practice skating everyday in a parking lot for free. Once you get the basics down, you can translate what you learned to the ice at public skate or stick and puck sessions. Ice time is expensive and sometimes hard to work into a busey schedule, having the ability to skate for free in any season and at any time will get you on the right track. If you have the money and time for skating lessons, take those too, but it will take hours of practice on your own to really improve.

Skate skate skate. And roller blades are good too. Pond hockey is great because you can skate for hours. Is there a lot of that around Edmonton? God knows if anywhere still has the right conditions, it ought to be northern Alberta.

I don't know why, but my skating improves so much when I am on ice for long sessions--two or more hours.

Am guessing you may find even beginners league frustrating, because it is a game and there are shifts and you really don't get much continuous ice time.

I've noticed a lot of newbies fall in love with the game and want to stick handle and score goals and yet forget about skating skills. It is sad to see their disappointment with themselves. Follow the advice the other posters gave. They know.

And have fun. It is just the best game in the world.

Pond hockey is great because you can skate for hours. Is there a lot of that around Edmonton? God knows if anywhere still has the right conditions, it ought to be northern Alberta.

If Edmonton was anything like Calgary this past Winter, we had only 2-3 good weeks of outdoor rink weather :(

i would stay away from roller skates if i were you they are very different from ice and in my experience guys who switch from roller to ice hockey have a hard time skating and can stop. one of the most important things about skating is being able to stop ive see people get hurt an d hurt other people because they cant.

i would stay away from roller skates if i were you they are very different from ice and in my experience guys who switch from roller to ice hockey have a hard time skating and can stop. one of the most important things about skating is being able to stop ive see people get hurt an d hurt other people because they cant.

Where I grew up the local ice rink was seasonal, so everyone did both. I credit rollerblades for teaching me how to skate, but obviously there are differences. The worst was when I'd been ice skating for 4 months and then went rollerblading... I'd forget I wasn't on the ice and try to hockey stop. You can do that on certain smooth surfaces with the right wheels, but try it on asphault and you end up with serious road rash. Yeah... learning how to stop should be a priority on the ice, or off.

Another one to suggest clinics and skating lessons Usually there are a few that will come to your area each year.