Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
goosedennis

Reebok 5K Helmet

Last November, my Nike-Bauer 5500 helmet developed a crack after taking an elbow to the temple (actually it was on the other side where my head hit the boards) so I had to find a new lid. I settled on the 5k after doing a little research

Fit:

The 5k comes in three sizes, large, medium, and small like most helmets. There is a "FITCLIP" adjustment system for length, which you can pop up and move the two shells, for lack of a better term. Unlike the upper models of the xK series, the 5K does not have a width adjustment system. As long as you choose the right helmet size, this should not be a huge killer, though.

Score: 7/10

Protection

There isn't really a way to test the protection of a helmet without asking someone to nail you in the head a few times and I'd rather not do that.

Score: N/A

Weight

While I was trying on helmets, the lightest one I tried on was the 7K (I even tried on the 11K, but I wasn't going to drop $200 on a helmet if there is an equally protective helmet for under $100). The 5K helmet isn't quite as light as a lot of the high-end helmets, but it isn't extraordinarily heavy.

Score: 6/10

Durability

I have had the helmet for nine months or so, not a long enough time to really test its durability, but I took a slapper off the back of the head in stick and puck and didn't notice a dent, crack, or even a scratch. I did notice the "FITCLIP"s moving up by themselves a few times which could result in quite a few issues during a collision.

Score: 6.5/10

Intangibles

This could fit under the "comfort" category, but a problem I have with the helmet is the lack of air flow. Reebok advertises "max vents for maximum air flow," but I can feel myself heating up more in this helmet than any other I've owned (including goalie masks). As a result, the decreased flow causes me to sweat more. The chin strap "hooks" have a tendency to break, and I've gone through two of them already.

Score: 4/10

Conclusion

The Reebok 5k helmet may not be the best helmet there is, but it's a great option if you're looking for a lower-priced helmet that will still offer good protection.

Score: 6/10