Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

salibandy

Help with electricals

Hey guys,

I need some help with electricals. Basically I saw the Rocket Sports Dryer on HockeyMonkey and had to have it, so I bought it.

The problem is, I live in Asia, and the electricity that is supplied is 220V, while American appliances are rated for 110V. Now from what I understand, I have to cut the power down from 220V to 110V, yes?

Also, what is this watt thing? The Dryer is 990W, and I was told that I can't use a multiplug just to chop the power down from 220V to 110V. Can someone explain this to me? How can I make the appliance work here?

Check the manual and/or the markings on the transformer, many universally sold household devices take 110-240 volts. You probably only have to get a plug adapter.

Watts measure power, which is figured by multiplying voltage by the current required.

A wattage of 990, at the 110V specified, means that the device requires 9 amperes of current at that voltage.

Many companies that sell products for American travelers make power adapters for them to use; such an adapter would seem to suit your needs. In your case, it sounds like it would consist of basically a step-down transformer.

I don't know about your local power, but one of the other considerations is the frequency of the alternating current supplied by your power company. In the U.S., it's 60 cycles per second (commonly referred to as "Hertz" these days). In other countries, it can differ.

EDIT: a bit of info here: http://buyersguide.bargainoffers.com/voltage_guide.shtml

For example, my macbook transformer reads "Input: AC 1.5A 100-240V 50/60Hz" so with the right plug adapter I can use it basically anywhere.

A step-down transformer is definitely necessary, as is a plug adapter. It's more than likely not equipped with an internal wattage selector. As has been stated the other thing is frequency. In north America it's 60hz, but in Europe and Asia it's normally 50Hz. The specs don't say it can be used at 50Hz, which would definitely damage the dryer.

Thanks for all your replies guys! Ok, so from what I gather, if I use the dryer here, it might work differently/inefficiently as it has a motor, and my electricity is supplied at 50Hz instead of 60. Assuming it doesn't, I would still need a step down transformer to convert 220V to 110V, and a plug adapter as well. The transformer also needs to handle at least 1.5 times 990W, so it has to be rated at least 1500W, yes?

I've been told that they sell a 220V version, so I'm going to try to get that. I'll either have to sell the one that I got from HockeyMonkey or return it when it comes. Anyone wants this dryer?

Anyway thanks a lot folks.

I gather that you have determined that the your power frequency in your country is 50.

The best information on what your product needs will be available from the manufacturer. The best information on which converter should be used will be available from its manufacturer. Between the two of these, you'll find out the power rating of the converter you need, assuming that the dryer will work on a frequency of 50.

Make sure that the 220 version you're considering is intended to work on your country's power, as opposed to U.S. 220.

The company said they made a 220V version for Netherlands, and the power coming out from the socket in Netherlands seems to be the same as the one coming out from mine, so I think it is a safe bet.

I think HM will take it back, but they won't assign a Return Authorisation number through email, so I have to call them. Now I just have to figure out if I can call the 1888 number from my country.