Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

When it comes to skates CCM is a stronger competitor to Bauer than Easton and VH combined. There's a reason for Bauer's dominance and it's not their marketing.

i agree. It takes some getting used to, but the thing with these skates are that they are all about free range of motion. My first couple skates had me worried, but now I dont think I could ever go back.

Its gonna take some big sponsored athletes or bauer cloning it to really catch on, but I have no doubt that if bauer had made this skate, and called it the "new bauer odin skates" people would be shitting themeselves over these, and it would start a shift towards more skares designed like this. Because its Easton, and people like what they are used to, it might not catch, or if it does, itll take much longer. I know im a bit biased, but I truly believe the Easton mako/custom skate with an aggresive pitch is the best skate out there by far.

I agree with just about everything that you.

When it comes to skates CCM is a stronger competitor to Bauer than Easton and VH combined. There's a reason for Bauer's dominance and it's not their marketing.

Agreed, however I believe that their marketing is equally as responsible as the quality of their skates.

Bauer already kind of did that with the one90, but didn't they just go back up to their higher cut boots? That's just their thing. Easton/VH will have to take a bigger bite out of Bauer's dominant market share for Bauer to think about doing anything to take back what they lose. I could be wrong, but that's been my projection of Bauer's stance on this trend.

2 Dallas Stars players have made the switch to VH (Cody Eakin, Ryan Garbutt) and 2 Defenseman are wearing Mako II (Sergei Gonchar, Jyrki Jokipakka).

Completely different. They are "less stiff", as in they don't feel like a ski boot. But they flex in all the right ways, and aren't soft by any means. Not really all that comparable.

One of my local LHS finally got some in to try. Unfortunately they were about a half size too small so my size would need to be ordered, but I got an idea of the feel. It's very different but as you said, it's not flimsy or soft. The flex feels "right" and not awkward like it does in supremes when you don't use the top eyelets.

• Like 1

Gonchar was an early Mako convert...

The Mako is the refinement of the MLX skate. I'm waiting for the refinement of the VH skate.

I picked up a pair of Mako IIs a few days ago. Been following the concept since the MLXs and have been tempted all along, everything on paper sounded like what I wanted from a skate. Previously was in Graf G75s which started feeling sloppy the last few months. As soon as I tried on the Makos there was no turning back. No comparison in terms of fit and the feeling of being in a more natural, 'athletic' position. Love the fit around the toes in particular, no empty space to flop around.

I skated on them Friday night for the first time, ended up on the ice for 1h45m. The feeling of being directly connected to the ice is unparalleled, as many have mentioned. Balance and ability to go from edge to edge is far superior to anything else I've worn. I was particularly impressed with straight line speed, too. It felt like every ounce of push was translated into forward movement, and put simply they enabled my body to move naturally. Perfect combination of lateral support and forward flex. I left the top eyelet open as I have usually done with other skates. My only complaint was some arch pain in both feet as others have also mentioned. Hoping I can resolve this with some spot heating and insole tweaking. Don't know if swapping in my Superfeet would help. Highly impressed though on the whole, expectations exceeded for sure. Also great to learn that Step is making steel for the CXN holder.

Before trying any changes to insoles or the like, simply try not tying them so tight.

This!! With how well the boot wraps, my laces are barely snug until you get to the top 3 eyelets.

I hated the insoles in the last makos, so I used my vapor insoles and they felt much better. The mako 2 insole is a little better, but I still prefer the vapor insoles. For whatever reason any pain I had instantly went away when I switched back to vapor insoles. And the boot fits so well, I only need the small amount of slip protection that the vapor insoles offer. The mako footbed just feels too porous and doesnt feel very comfortable to me.

This!! With how well the boot wraps, my laces are barely snug until you get to the top 3 eyelets.

Thanks chippa/Optimus, I'll try that before anything else. Hopefully it helps.

I hated the insoles in the last makos, so I used my vapor insoles and they felt much better. The mako 2 insole is a little better, but I still prefer the vapor insoles. For whatever reason any pain I had instantly went away when I switched back to vapor insoles. And the boot fits so well, I only need the small amount of slip protection that the vapor insoles offer. The mako footbed just feels too porous and doesnt feel very comfortable to me.

I was okay with the mako footbeds but over time they crumpled up every time I'd take my foot out (thanks to the super form fitting skate with zero negative space; you could literally hear the suction as I took my foot out). Eventually they got to the point where they'd crumple when putting my foot IN, so I had to switch them for my old super feet.

I ended up getting a pair of custom SIDAS done, but I am don't really like them... Just literally can't seem to get them out of the boots they're so tight in there.

Also great to learn that Step is making steel for the CXN holder.

If you go with Step Steel for the CXN, be advised that it has been reported to be neutral, not forward pitched as is the OEM steel. So you'll loose approximately half of your forward pitch if you don't have it profiled.

If you go with Step Steel for the CXN, be advised that it has been reported to be neutral, not forward pitched as is the OEM steel. So you'll loose approximately half of your forward pitch if you don't have it profiled.

Thanks, I was curious if the profile would be different than stock. Didn't know the OEM steel was pitched forward, assumed it was all in the holder.

Never heard of any revisions been made.

What did you find out?

Does anybody know the revision history of the Mako 1's?

I just picked up a second pair, and I'm noticing some interesting (yet subtle) changes.

I'll get some side by side pictures when I get my old pair back from the LHS, but initial things I noticed were:

1. They molded much much better (could've just been a bad bake job on my first pair).

The hot spots I had to hit with a heat gun on my first pair weren't a problem at all on the new ones.

2. They're cut a little higher, maybe 1/4" tops. But the high ankle padding that causes everyone mako bumps is a little higher on the new pair than on the old pair.

3. There's a gasket between the holder and the boot on the rear tower on the new pair, which wasn't there on my old pair.

4. The inside face of the steel is screen printed with "+3SB"

The new pair also seems to be a little stiffer and the tongue seems to have a little more padding but that could just be from wear and tear on the old ones.

I'll try and get some pictures up in the next few days.

My 13 year old son was outgrowing his Reebok 14k's (size 6.5, toes touching the front but not cramped completely).

We ended up with getting the Mako 1's used from a local PIAS store. The original owner of the skates was an NHL ref who only skated in them 2X - in a size 8. They were basically brand new and only a couple hundred bucks (actually after I traded in some old Kor's, one 90 shoulder pads and a kids snowboard, I ended up paying $65).

After my son skated in them or the first time, I had a couple impressions (which he stated agreed with - I did not prompt him to answer in favor of the Makos as i wanted his true impressions without my leading him into any answers):

PERFORMANCE:

1) He seemed to skate better backwards for some reason

2) He "seemed" faster skating forward

3) His turns were more agile and tighter

4) His stopping was much more precise

5) Stop and go direction changes were faster and more precise with a noticeable sound difference when hard stopping, nothing like a T-Blade sound but something.

6) The Makos are completely different than all other skates and skating styles show it. All the other players were skating with seemingly the way they have had to adopt due to the nature of Bauers, CCM's, etc... They all skate with almost loose ankles and sort of clunk into the stride...like the skates are these clunky stiff things which work but you almost have to throw around to work. In fact, it seemed (whether this was my brain wanting to see this or not) that the typical skates (total ones, vapors, etc) seemed to make transitions and edge control sort of it own style of skating in reaction to the boot as opposed to the boot being made for the best skating style. Most skaters have adapted and use the traditional boot just fine but I couldn't help but notice how much more agile and flowing my son was skating compared to his last pair. Then I noticed how it seemed like most skaters in stiff bauers, etc seemed to be fine but limited to what they could do in such a stiff boot. My other son is on APX's which I think are great but I cant help wonder what more agility and skill he could maybe get with the Mako? Maybe I was seeing things.

7) Son said he felt like he was skating on much more precise blades like "scalpels" and had finer control than his old skates.

LOOK AND FEEL:

1) It was obvious these skates do not look like any other skate being used by 99% of other players. If fitting in is your style, then you may not like them.

2) It struck me for the first time that all other popular skates have gotten to look and function like mini ski boots and we have been conditioned to like that style, it works but the Mako's are not the norm. I come from a ski racing family and the parallels with ski equipment, marketing and technologies between hockey and skiing are interesting. Skiers are way more conditioned to try new things for performance than hockey players. It seems hockey players have BIG hangups on how things look, even if it limits performance. Then again, skiing is 100's of a second between winning and losing.

3) Son said he had no issues with the fit and feel of the skates...no rubbing, pinching, sore spots, etc...said they "felt great" (he normally would not complement anything so that was a good sign).

4) He said "other kids didn't like Makos" probably because 13 year olds are conditioned to fit in and do what is cool. Glad he doesn't care about that. But everybody cares a little at least.

5) I gotta admit, being open minded and more about performance than looks and I still thought they looked a bit odd from afar - due to the shape and tight fit at the ankles, they looked a bit like clown feet. The orange colors just attracts the eye to them so I can see why players might want to make them a bit more inconspicuous.

6) I cannot see the mako's overcoming the tidal wave of models and looks of the more notable brands (bauer, etc). I also have to admit, we tried on some MX3's they had from the same guy ($399 and looked almost brand new) which looked much better aesthetically than the Mako's. If price were no option, he probably would have grabbed the Bauers.

VERDICT:

There is definitely something in this Mako design that allows more precise control and performance than the "traditional" type of skate. If you can overcome the look (which really is not that bad), then I cannot see a reason to not use the Mako over other skates. Durability is my only concern..with some of the problems mentioned on this board and the seeming lack of service response..Easton is only going to shoot itself in the foot by coming out with a great product if they don't 100% stand behind it. Easton has to be known as the company that stands 100% behind its products. If I were paying top dollar for the Makos, I cannot say I would have made the leap of faith these require to buy them. I definitely think Easton should stick with the Mako skate and maybe seed the market with the youth players (like the CCM skills camp idea to generate demand and demonstrate how good these skates are). They will also have to account for the "leap of faith" factor which I don't think the 30 day guarantee will do. Something to make them more affordable than the competition. Maybe a free stick with purchase or free sharpenings for a year (1x a month), something to get people over hump and buy the Mako. I just don't think they can overcome the inertia of Bauer unless they do something major marketing wise and creating a real value for hockey families and players. Easton may not like to hear it but when you spend your credibility on poor products over the years (whether that impression is true of not...it is still an impression in my hockey community)...then you need to eat some crow, take a bit less profit, go the extra mile to get back that credibility. It would be a shame to have some a great product as the Mako which so many skaters could benefit from, and having it fail due to an unwillingness to do something different than Bauer. Well right now Bauer is kicking your arse and you have to do something different, the Mako is a good start - now back up the people who took the chance on Makos with great service. Mind you, I didn't even buy them new or at full retail so I shouldn't talk, but now that I have them...I probably will buy them again for all 3 of my skaters.

UPDATE 11/10/2014:

All I can say is WOW! about the Mako's!!!

I know this will sound a bit overdone, but I am almost speechless about how my sons (aaa Bantam) skating has improved with the Mako's. Perhaps a natural progression of his ability but as soon as he started on the Mako's, his game changed. Coincidence? Not sure but his speed, turning ability, agility, etc is so much better I don't really know what to think. of course, it is hustle but I gotta think the confidence these skates give him has a lot to do with it.

He had no adjustment period when switching to the Mako's. One big difference, no slop in the skates, around the ankles, etc. It seems every ounce of effort goes directly through the skates without a lot of wasted energy. The reason I say this is his speed has gone WAY UP, this all within a couple weeks of starting to use the Mako's, For example, in his last game, he was on the PK and after and after his D man cleared it all the way, the opposing D skating to get the cleared puck near his own goaline...race was on and my son beat him to the puck starting from his own blue and the opposing D started between his blue and centeline. He would NEVER have made that fast of an attack before. He ended up catching the D in the corner, checked him, took the puck and scored a shorty. After the game, he mentioned how much faster he feels the skates are compared to his previous pair. It is pretty interesting to watch ho much better his skating is on the Mako's...maybe it is his effort, but I gotta believe there is something seriously beneficial in the design of these skates. I am totally SOLD.

On another note: My older son (aaa Midget) was complaining about the lack of confidence in his skates turning, edge hold, etc - and I could tell, His skating was getting worse and his turns were more like short steppy crossovers instead of full force flowing pushes.

His coach suggested a 5/8" hollow and maybe a 3/4 to an inch. I always had him on 1/2" (he is 200lbs, 6'3"), So I took his skates to the best setup guy I know and after measuring found his radius was wayyy off ...One skate was a messed up 9' radius and the other an 11', balance points way off, etc. A bit of background: I got these APX2 skates used from a friend/PRO who skated them only 3x... then gave them to my son as they are same size. ... Well apparently something was changed on the steel and they were not matched.

My profiling guy did his magic and changed each to an 11' radius, fixed balance points, etc switched him to a 5/8" hollow. Next practice, WOW faster, stronger on edges, tighter turns, much more stable, almost a different skater. Coaches noticed. I think we will try the 3/4 hollow next.

So I have learned a lesson here...while equipment is not Everything..it is a HUGE part of the equation. Gone are the days of trying to make inferior stuff act like the good stuff because I want to save a buck. Depending upon your level of play, you really should use the stuff appropriate for your level and ability. And make sure it is tuned and checked by a competent professional who can give you suggestions to help improve. It pays big to skip the teenager giving a quick sharpening and find the pro who knows your player style and knows how to get the most out of your equipment.

Edited by goodguy
  • Like 1

I finally got out for a second skate in my Mako IIs. Was again blown away by the balance and stability, it really is amazing. After my initial skate I took the heat gun and did some spot heating around the arch area on each boot. It was definitely improved this time but still some minor discomfort. I also made sure to not tie them too tight in the mid section of the boot as was recommended. The source of the problem is I'm very slightly knock-kneed and pronate a bit, flat feet etc, so a big chunk of my weight ends up on the insides of my feet and pushing down on the molded arch support of the boot. If I consciously try and keep my weight neutral the pressure/pain goes away, so that's something to work on for sure.

About halfway through I tried swapping footbets and put my old Superfeet in, just because why not. Comfort was improved, almost all the arch pain was gone, but it felt like I lost a tiny bit of volume, and most importantly lost some of the feeling of connection to the ice. They just didn't feel as direct and pure with the Superfeet in. So back to the stock footbeds next time. I imagine my feet will adapt a bit as I wear them more too. Progress in the right direction anyway!

I was okay with the mako footbeds but over time they crumpled up every time I'd take my foot out (thanks to the super form fitting skate with zero negative space; you could literally hear the suction as I took my foot out). Eventually they got to the point where they'd crumple when putting my foot IN, so I had to switch them for my old super feet.

I ended up getting a pair of custom SIDAS done, but I am don't really like them... Just literally can't seem to get them out of the boots they're so tight in there.

Just put a strip of tape across the heel, let it stick out past the edge and fold it over into a tab like in this picture. Then you just pull on the tab to remove it from your skate.

sidas_tab.jpg

Just put a strip of tape across the heel, let it stick out past the edge and fold it over into a tab like in this picture. Then you just pull on the tab to remove it from your skate.

That's... actually really smart.

I just wish they were better... I honestly don't think they're any improvement over the superfeet I'd be using (and I could actually get those out of my skates!)

Got my Mako II's! Haven't baked them yet, but fitting them on seems way tighter than the Mako I's IIRC. I didn't tie the laces up yet and the tongue is hard to get in, if not at all - little worried I should have moved up to half a size (7D -> 7.5D).

Also, if anyone can help. I've been skating on my old Vapors and as mentioned earlier havent missed a beat with them. Even in last nights game after a 4-5 week comeback from injury, playing the puck off my skates inside and outside seems so natural to me that I never had with my Mako I's (had them for a year before I warranty'd them and also changed to +1.5 pitch). If I could describe it, it feels I have more blade on the ice and thus can move laterally a lot better and kick the puck up from when it's in my feet even angling it perfectly to play up onto my stick. The only drawback is that my legs KILLED and my knees get super tired compared to the Mako I's.

Does anyone know what I should be asking for when I bring these skates into to profile? Or should I just bring in my old skates and the Mako II's and tell them what's going on? I just want to be sure that they know what they're doing and what I should look out for in terms of a proper job.