Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Finally got my pair of Step Blacksteel for my Mako IIs from No Icing Sports, with USPS screwing up over the scanning process for the tracking, and Canada Post scrounging to find it in customs before it got to me.

Anyways, got my first game in with them today (I didn't have time to "test" them and my previous set of runners were coincidentally broken from the previous game). They are absolutely fantastic. Profiling and sharpening was spectacular, and I definitely noticed a fair bit more bite and glide, which I'm not sure if its attributed to the coating. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic set of runners, and easily my go-to from now on if I ever get new skates.

Syinx, I'm wondering what radius and pitch you got put on your new Step Blacksteel from NoIcing Sports?

Good to know. Also do the tongues have any molding properties like the rest of the boot. I think these would fit perfect if the tongue was a bit thinner.

I had them on for maybe 30 mins just sitting down and after taking them off and my fore foot was a bit red.

I couldn't even get the boot on before I baked it. I don't know why anyone would even try.

The tongues are definitely moldable.

It was probably smart of them to do that. The thinness of the tongue is the one thing I don't like about my MLX, especially where the piece that screws into the toecap is sewn into the rest of the tongue, makes it so that I can't feel the boot above my falanges, which is essential for quick starts.

The tongue will compress to your foot. The thickness is intended to help prevent lace bite by distributing the pressure of the laces over the entire foot instead of just the points of contact. You want them thick.

In the first pic, does it look to shallow. They felt alright when they were on.

cbe4cfc9393929d287d3fd9dccb99773.jpg

Then when I took them off I had this.

e3a653fa9b074fa8ffa1af30abed234e.jpg

I figure worse comes to worse if I bake them and they don't work I could always sell them and try and get a bit back.

Is it common for these skates to be hard to get on when trying them on for the first time? I just recieved mine and had to un lace like the first 4 laces to get them on. Normal or bad sign

They are supposed to fit tight to your foot, I have to unlace mine halfway and loosen the rest to get my foot in or out.

• Like 1

In the first pic, does it look to shallow. They felt alright when they were on.

Then when I took them off I had this.

I figure worse comes to worse if I bake them and they don't work I could always sell them and try and get a bit back.

That should be fine. My feet sit about the same in there. As long as you aren't tightening them so much that you cut off circulation you should be fine.

Make sure if you want to protect your ankles from the "mako bumps" that you get some neoprene ankle support sleeves. The neoprene ones work great. Elastic support braces, not so much.

Well, I think my skates are finally broken in. 6 skates in and they feel great. No more arch pain, mako bite is taken care of by folding out the outside ankle support part of the boot.

I just need to wait till those sores heal up and we'll see how they feel.

As of right now to protect myself from it I wear a long sock that goes up over my ankle/lower part of my shin. I pull my long Under armor compression pants over my socks and then I have a 3-5mm neoprene ankle support sleeve I wear over top of that.

It seems to protect the sores that I have right now pretty well. Once they are fully healed I will ditch the sleeves and see how it feels with just the socks & UA compression pants.

I wish I would have followed the advice on here first and bent that outwards when I first got my skates and baked them.

Hey guys quick question,

I just got a pair of Mako 2's and have yet to get them molded, but inside the right boot where the toe cap is where the tongue connects to the boot theres a minor sharp pain (glue? stitching?) and I'm wondering if thats normal.

If so, any suggestions on how to improve the comfort?

Hey guys quick question,

I just got a pair of Mako 2's and have yet to get them molded, but inside the right boot where the toe cap is where the tongue connects to the boot theres a minor sharp pain (glue? stitching?) and I'm wondering if thats normal.

Unlace the right skate fully and see if you can see what is there? Not sure if you are describing the area of the top of the toebox or the side? Pain, especially sharp is a concern, even if minor on your scale.

Unlace the right skate fully and see if you can see what is there? Not sure if you are describing the area of the top of the toebox or the side? Pain, especially sharp is a concern, even if minor on your scale.

Thats exactly what I did to see what the problem is but it's transparent to the eye. It's only when you actually put your hand/foot in it is when you feel the material. Anyways I think it's glue and hopefully goes away once I get them baked

Hey guys quick question,

my mako 1's were like that before baking. Baking fixed it.

• Like 2

I've had my Mako IIs for a little over two months now. Still really happy with them, except for the last few weeks I've started getting a sharp pain on my inside ankle bone on the left foot. I believe the root of the problem could be that I was hit with a puck around that spot about a year and a half ago. It took a while to heal but eventually there was no pain again with my previous skates (G75s). Anyway, I've tried spot-heating on my Mako II a couple of times, trying to push put a spot using my thumb and the blunt end of a screwdriver. This hasn't really helped. My feeling is that a more aggressive punch with a boot stretcher could create enough of a pocket to relieve the pressure point. My ankles are fairly thick and my ankle bones sit fairly high up and relatively close to the eyelets, so my concern punching them out there may damage the eyelets. The spot in question is pretty much right around the seam between the primary liner material and the sort of faux-leather trim material that's on the top edge of the boot. (could even be that seam that's causing my problems?) Anyone had similar concerns and/or tried having this area punched? My other thought was to try and use some sort of foam/gel/silicone padding to encircle the sort spot and see if that did anything.

To follow up on an earlier post as well, my rivets seem to be holding up ok - I thought they were coming loose again. So that's good news.

.....anybody already skating in mako or mako II ever tried the mako M8 and can comment on the fit difference , if any ?? thx

Fit wise there's no difference between the Mako II and M8.

.....anybody already skating in mako or mako II ever tried the mako M8 and can comment on the fit difference , if any ?? thx

I haven't skated on a pair of the M8's, but I did try them on before buying my Mako 1's to make sure size would be the same.

The only difference I could really tell is the toebox had a slightly softer material in there compared to the Mako 1's and other than that, everything is the same.

You can use the pronged T-Nuts and cut off the prongs with wire snips. What little is left of the prongs will be just enough to grab onto the surface and prevent the T-Nut from turning while you're tightening the screw.

Did you (or anyone else for that matter) actually do this? I want to pursue this option, but would like to hear from those who have had success, or lack thereof.