Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

On 5/15/2018 at 7:22 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

So what's the deal with Mako holder rivets?  I take out the footbeds every time I skate and they still get rusty / loose all the damn time.  I've had them a little less than two years and at this point I think I've replaced all the rivets at least once... Doesn't seem like other folks talk about rivets rusting out / getting loose that fast.

Mark

Yep, I've been in Makos since they came out and end up losing a rivet or two about every month... just how it goes. Still my favorite skate by far though. 

On 5/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

So what's the deal with Mako holder rivets?  I take out the footbeds every time I skate and they still get rusty / loose all the damn time.  I've had them a little less than two years and at this point I think I've replaced all the rivets at least once... Doesn't seem like other folks talk about rivets rusting out / getting loose that fast.

Mark

Happened with each of my kids Makos (about 5 pair thus far)... must remove liners and put in front of fan after each skate. Also, since it is carbon fiber, loose rivets cause torquing of the holder against the footbed and will cause premature breakdown of the carbon fiber. Always check mako rivets monthly. 

I spray a rust retardant onto rivets every month and seems to help.  Now if I could only find a source for 8.5-9.5 size Mako2’s I’d be happy ...Son bought and skated VH/True and they are comfortable/well made but nowhere near the speed, performance of the Mako. Much more ‘clunky’. He is super fast on mako’s but people were asking what was wrong with him on the VH? 

Edited by goodguy

I got sick of replacing rivets every month.  My shop suggested to put in four copper rivets in the front of the holder, and four copper rivets in the back of the holder.  Has worked like a charm for 6 months.

Same setup as this:

23fofBU.jpg

• Like 1

Howdy,

Yeah, I added another copper to the front of mine so that I had a pair of coppers front and back and that's meant that when the rivets get loose the holder doesn't seem to move.

But its still annoying / weird.

Mark

A few questions re Mako steel:

What tools are needed to remove and install Mako steel?

Which steels are suitable for Makos?

Are there any online merchants who sell Mako compatible steel on the cheap?

29 minutes ago, Amazinmets73 said:

Robertson screwdrivers, not sure of exact size. You’re looking for Easton CXN steel. I don’t know if anyone still sells it. You may have to go to eBay.

Howdy,

I dunno if there's some crazy special name, but AFAIK the screw heads are just regular square stuff, so any square bit of the right size should work.

You want steel for the CXN holder.  Its relatively hard to find.  If you can't luck out and find some on ebay or whatever, Step seems to still be making and selling it, but I have no idea if they do it in batches / whatever.

Mark

When the Mako II skates were new, they came with whatever wrench you needed to remove the steel. If you need one, you could post in equipment sales forums asking to buy one  

Do you have the CXN holders (holders that came with Makos) now, or considering buying some?

2 hours ago, Amazinmets73 said:

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/accessories/accessories-skate/components/step-steel-hockey-runner-stmako-cxn-1-pair.html

You need 2 square driver bits (a t-handle set usually comes with the skates or you can buy at a hardware store)... 

Proper steel is either Easton ES4 runners (hard to find) or Step Steel for Makos (google mako step steel).

JR has profiled Step Steel to match the stock ES4 pitch/profile for my sons skates a few times. 

I was gonna spring for step blacksteel but for $150... not sure if its worth it. 

I think your your best bet is Step Steel. 

Edited by goodguy

1 hour ago, start_today said:

When the Mako II skates were new, they came with whatever wrench you needed to remove the steel. If you need one, you could post in equipment sales forums asking to buy one  

Do you have the CXN holders (holders that came with Makos) now, or considering buying some?

Just use a Robertson 

On a side note, I was at the Las Vegas Center Ice hockey shop a few weeks ago, they had a stack of Mako II and a few Mako I available, sizes <= 8 and >= 9.5 iirc. Might be worth a call if someone is still searching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Mako 1  have broken around the holder in the forefoot which I think is quite common and I will try to repair it and reinforce that area with layers of carbon fiber.

Is there any more areas that are prone to break down? While the holder is removed I was thinking of adding a layer on the quarter package which seems very fragile.

Anyone know is if the toe cap is made of carbon under the plastic cover? I know I have seen a construction drawing of the skate somewhere but can't find it right now.

4 hours ago, sourfe said:

My Mako 1  have broken around the holder in the forefoot which I think is quite common and I will try to repair it and reinforce that area with layers of carbon fiber.

Is there any more areas that are prone to break down? While the holder is removed I was thinking of adding a layer on the quarter package which seems very fragile.

Anyone know is if the toe cap is made of carbon under the plastic cover? I know I have seen a construction drawing of the skate somewhere but can't find it right now.

Don’t think there is carbon fiber under toecap. Bottom edge of toecap is a major weak point and cracks eventually. I removed holder and epoxied some fiberglass across toe bottom overlapping up side of toecap a bit. Ugly but it worked for a while until that cracked. Thinking the loose rivets problem leads to a twisting of the carbon fiber bottom which can cause/accelerate the cracking/separation at the toecap. Seems ultra important to dry Makos out and consistently check the rivets for tightness. 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:39 PM, gosinger said:

On a side note, I was at the Las Vegas Center Ice hockey shop a few weeks ago, they had a stack of Mako II and a few Mako I available, sizes <= 8 and >= 9.5 iirc. Might be worth a call if someone is still searching.

Called the Las Vegas shop and they had the Makos but they wanted full msrp for them (less 10%). I tried to explain, they were disco and most shops clearanced them years ago but they wouldn’t listen ... you know how these in-rink pro shops are... still selling EQ50 sticks for $249 ..lol 🙄 Need a pair of Makos but not sure if I need them for $600+

Edited by goodguy

2 hours ago, goodguy said:

Called the Las Vegas shop and they had the Makos but they wanted full msrp for them (less 10%). I tried to explain, they were disco and most shops clearanced them years ago but they wouldn’t listen ... you know how these in-rink pro shops are... still selling EQ50 sticks for $249 ..lol 🙄 Need a pair of Makos but not sure if I need them for $600+

I emailed them a while back and the price I was given for my size was $455 US, but that was for the OG Mako (I passed, considering the OG Mako is the least durable model and I already have a small stockpile of Mako 2's). Perhaps they were quoting you for the Mako II,  but that's still high. 

On 8/18/2018 at 6:57 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Robertson screwdrivers, not sure of exact size. You’re looking for Easton CXN steel. I don’t know if anyone still sells it. You may have to go to eBay.

Robertson #2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goodguy said:

Supply and demand. They probably know that they're sitting on some of the last Mako's for sale and they're a coveted item. If people like them badly enough, they'll pay the $600...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

Supply and demand. They probably know that they're sitting on some of the last Mako's for sale and they're a coveted item. If people like them badly enough, they'll pay the $600...

I’m not gonna give em that much credit. Pure Hockey has been selling limited sizes for $399 for a long time now. I just find that rarely do in-rink pro shops (in non-traditional hockey markets) follow industry pricing trends. You usually have to blow a thick layer of dust off their gear to even see what it is ... and it’s almost always way disco’d and full retail. Unless it is a chain with multiple locations and maybe a web presence, they usually (but not always) have old gear and old prices (especially skates). 

Edited by goodguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

No, the shop is just ignorant. It's full of boxes and old gear covered in dust. 

18 minutes ago, getthekidthepuck said:

came across these online interesting would like to see more pics of them https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/ottawa/easton-mako3-prototype/1389884369?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hey, thanks a lot for forwarding the info.. Intriguing but would be worried they are unfinished or a bit odd since they are experimental.. I wonder how similar to Mako 2’s? I will contact the guy and ask. Thanks again. 👍👍👍