Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Hey Guy's,

Another question, I am going to bake a brand new pair of OG Mako's. However I have an infection in my foot for sometime and the top of my right foot is a little swollen. Should I wait and bake them when the swelling goes down or will it not effect the baking process because its on the top of my foot?

Thanks!

On 10/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, goodguy said:

I’m not gonna give em that much credit. Pure Hockey has been selling limited sizes for $399 for a long time now. I just find that rarely do in-rink pro shops (in non-traditional hockey markets) follow industry pricing trends. You usually have to blow a thick layer of dust off their gear to even see what it is ... and it’s almost always way disco’d and full retail. Unless it is a chain with multiple locations and maybe a web presence, they usually (but not always) have old gear and old prices (especially skates). 

That is also true but if they're getting calls and emails from throughout North America with people inquiring about what stock they have in these, they don't have to be business geniuses to know that they're sitting on some coveted and rare products.

Coveted and rare among a few MSH gearheads doesn’t really mean anything to most shops. 

Makos didn’t exactly “fly off the shelves” when they were a current retail model. 

These skates are unbelievably hard to find now in common sizes.

I’ve been looking for a pair of M8s or Mako II in 8.5D for months, with no luck.  

If anyone comes across a viable lead, please let me know.  I’m in the Niagara region of Ontario but am not opposed to buying internationally.

My kid is a fairly high level midget player who has used the M8s or the Mako II for years now, but his last pair are pretty much on life support now ..... no idea what to try.

1 hour ago, BadgerBruce said:

I’ve been looking for a pair of M8s or Mako II in 8.5D for months, with no luck.  

If anyone comes across a viable lead, please let me know.  I’m in the Niagara region of Ontario but am not opposed to buying internationally.

My kid is a fairly high level midget player who has used the M8s or the Mako II for years now, but his last pair are pretty much on life support now ..... no idea what to try.

Good luck. I found some 8.5D M7 on SidelineSwap for almost retail. I gladly paid it though. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Good luck. I found some 8.5D M7 on SidelineSwap for almost retail. I gladly paid it though. 

I feel your pain as my son is pretty dependent on the Makos now ...lol ... will let you know if I find anything. Q: Give me your feedback on the M8’s vs MakoII. Any negatives re performance, durability, fit, feel? How he performs in Them? 

4 hours ago, goodguy said:

I feel your pain as my son is pretty dependent on the Makos now ...lol ... will let you know if I find anything. Q: Give me your feedback on the M8’s vs MakoII. Any negatives re performance, durability, fit, feel? How he performs in Them? 

Never owned Mako2. Only had the originals. From what I’ve read on here though there isn’t all that much of a difference.

5 hours ago, goodguy said:

I own the Mako 2, OG Mako and have used both the OG Mako and M7 for roller conversions. I did briefly own the M8, but in an 8D and I need an 8EE. I tried baking the 8D, but it didn't get wide enough for my forefoot.

The biggest difference I notice is between the original Mako and other models. The other models are all stiffer and the ankle padding holds up better. I've only used the M7's for roller for about a month now, but so far I'm VERY impressed. They're only a bit heavier than the OG Makos, but feel about as stiff as the Mako 2. The thick felt tongue took some breaking in, but now it feels good. I didn't know if the M7's would mold to my feet as well as the Mako 2 or OG Mako, but they did.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the M7 skates and the M8 are one model up from those. The M8 use the OG Mako tongue (not the thick felt tongue) and metatarsal guard, but have the improved ankle padding and are a bit stiffer than the OG Makos. I don't think there's much drop off at all in performance between the Mako II and M8. It's really just the 25% fibre glass content, a slightly thinner insole and a different tongue. The weight difference is marginal and the performance difference should also be marginal. If you can find the M7 or M8 in your sons size in new or like new condition; I would buy them. The only versions I'd be hesitant to grab unless they're at a very low cost are the original models. 

Edited by althoma1

12 hours ago, goodguy said:

My son has worn the Mako IIs for multiple seasons but last season moved to the M8s because that’s all we could find.  

Those M8s have taken a real beating — close to 100 Rep-level games and another 100+ practices — but they have held up remarkably well.  I did change the blades to Step a few months ago (the original steel was getting low from all the sharpening) but to me that’s like putting new tires on a car.  

But there are a few problems.  

First, the one that bugs my son the most is that the rim of padding around the very top of the boot is pretty much shot — the fabric cover is worn through and the foam is cooked.  Causes some uncomfortable rubbing.  I’ve looked at it and can’t see how it could be viably repaired.

Second, the toe caps are scuffed up pretty good from normal wear and tear but I’ve also noticed some hairline fractures that are bound to get worse.  

In terms of fit and performance, the kid says the M8s are the same as the IIs.  He’s old enough to head down to our local hockey shop on his own and he has gone for a few re-bakes, usually just to deal with a hot spot that’s developed.  Loves how easy it is to  make fit adjustments.  They really are extraordinarily pliable skates that respond so well to heat.  

My guess is that at some point very soon he will need to move into something else.   But boy, where to find such an amazing fit and a nearly perfectly pitched CXN holder ......just so much intelligence went into the Makos.  Everything else seems like his grandpa’s Oldsmobile. 

• Thanks 1

The issue with the padding compressing around the top of the boot sounds exactly like what happened to my heavily used OG Mako conversions. I knew the M8 was the closest to the OG Mako out of the newer skates since it uses the same tongue and metatarsal guard, but I would've hoped the padding would've been upgraded. I did not experience the padding compressing on my heavily used Mako II's, but those were almost exclusively used for officiating. 

So it sounds like for you, the Mako II and M8 have essentially the same performance, but the Mako II was more durable. That's good to know. The M7 also seems to have similar performance - the jury is out for me regarding durability since I've only used those for about a month. 

21 hours ago, BadgerBruce said:

May want to look at a shop that has the True Hockey skates. Based on where the Makos evolved from these will probably be the skate that has the most common design features.

3 hours ago, flyers10 said:

May want to look at a shop that has the True Hockey skates. Based on where the Makos evolved from these will probably be the skate that has the most common design features.

Trues are available from my local hockey shop and are certainly a consideration if I can’t find a Mako 2s or M8s.  Truth be told, I’ve got a pair of super expensive Bauer 1S skates, the ones with all the bells and whistles, that the boy’s grandfather bought him. Had them      profiled with a forward pitch, the kid tried them in 6 practices and despised them.  “Bricks,” he called them.  Anyone looking for a hot deal on a barely used pair in size 7.5 ....lol!

I’m not in any way a gear head and do hate to impose here, but does anyone know if the True skates come with holders similar to the CXN on Makos?  Are the built with the same assymetrical design?  

If he think 1S’s are bricks, Trues will feel like boat anchors.

His days with the Mako’s are numbered. Best thing for all parties is to find something else while there is still some life left in them.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BadgerBruce said:

Trues are available from my local hockey shop and are certainly a consideration if I can’t find a Mako 2s or M8s.  Truth be told, I’ve got a pair of super expensive Bauer 1S skates, the ones with all the bells and whistles, that the boy’s grandfather bought him. Had them      profiled with a forward pitch, the kid tried them in 6 practices and despised them.  “Bricks,” he called them.  Anyone looking for a hot deal on a barely used pair in size 7.5 ....lol!

I’m not in any way a gear head and do hate to impose here, but does anyone know if the True skates come with holders similar to the CXN on Makos?  Are the built with the same assymetrical design?  

My story was: Son loves his Makos and does quite well with them agility and speed wise. Thinking the Trues would be “similar”, got a pair and he just didn’t perform even close to the Makos. The Trues are great skates but not in our situation. I am looking for alternatives but nothing jumps out... I guess I can cross Bauer 1S’s off my list ...lol 

No doubt, this post will get a bunch of “Trues are just fine... you don’t know what you are talking about...” responses -but- in my case, it just didn’t work. I am hoping to get him back on the Trues for a couple open ice skates and see if we can’t get used to them. 

They are probably the most comfortable skate he has been in though. I just think the Makos has a great balance between stiffness and flexibility to really allow a more natural skating motion. I was totally skeptical of them at first but noticed and immediate and obvious speed and skating improvement. 

Edited by goodguy

59 minutes ago, goodguy said:

My story was: Son loves his Makos and does quite well with them agility and speed wise. Thinking the Trues would be “similar”, got a pair and he just didn’t perform even close to the Makos. The Trues are great skates but not in our situation. I am looking for alternatives but nothing jumps out... I guess I can cross Bauer 1S’s off my list ...lol 

No doubt, this post will get a bunch of “Trues are just fine... you don’t know what you are talking about...” responses -but- in my case, it just didn’t work. I am hoping to get him back on the Trues for a couple open ice skates and see if we can’t get used to them. 

They are probably the most comfortable skate he has been in though. I just think the Makos has a great balance between stiffness and flexibility to really allow a more natural skating motion. I was totally skeptical of them at first but noticed and immediate and obvious speed and skating improvement. 

Start calling around or emailing shops to see if they have a pair in his size. There is probably some mom & pop shop somewhere that is sitting on a pair. Otherwise set up alerts on Ebay and Sideline Swap so you're notified once a pair pops up.

3 hours ago, goodguy said:

@goodguy Have him try the CCM 70k. Its a bit softer of a boot and extremely comfortable. I know one memeber who went from Mako’s to the 70k and seems pretty happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, BadgerBruce said:

If you look a few pages back, the las vegas ice center pro shop has Mako II and OG Makos in various common sizes, but they're asking $455US for the OG Mako (according to an email I received when I asked about stock for 8EE) and $600 for the Mako 2 when anothe member phoned them. http://www.lasvegasice.com/CONTACTUS.aspx

• Like 1

8 hours ago, althoma1 said:

If you look a few pages back, the las vegas ice center pro shop has Mako II and OG Makos in various common sizes, but they're asking $455US for the OG Mako (according to an email I received when I asked about stock for 8EE) and $600 for the Mako 2 when anothe member phoned them. http://www.lasvegasice.com/CONTACTUS.aspx

Thank you.  I sent an email to the Pro Shop Manager just now.  I’m also considering the CCM 70K if I can’t find Makos ....so thanks also to Stick9.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BadgerBruce said:

Thank you.  I sent an email to the Pro Shop Manager just now.  I’m also considering the CCM 70K if I can’t find Makos ....so thanks also to Stick9.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/507918219628585/

There is also this FB Marketplace listing that says they have multiple sizes of the Mako II for $375 Cad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/507918219628585/

There is also this FB Marketplace listing that says they have multiple sizes of the Mako II for $375 Cad.

Oh my God!  I don’t have Fscebook but my son does, so we just sent a message ..... seems they have my kid’s size in the Mako II !  If this works out, I owe you big time, Althoma1 !!

• Like 2