Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

44 minutes ago, number_22 said:

Hmmm... so I dug out those old Synergy skates (they are a 9.5) and they fit me super snug, even unlaced. My toes touch the toe cap. I still wonder if the Mako‘s will fit similar...

Makos fit a half size larger than old Synergy skates. So if you want a snug fit in the Makos go with a size 9. If you want more space you could go with a 9.5. Personally, I would go with a 9 since they're designed based on a zero negative space concept and are VERY responsive to heat. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 10:11 PM, althoma1 said:

Makos fit a half size larger than old Synergy skates. So if you want a snug fit in the Makos go with a size 9. If you want more space you could go with a 9.5. Personally, I would go with a 9 since they're designed based on a zero negative space concept and are VERY responsive to heat. 

Thanks for your reply, I‘ll be on the lookout then for a pair in size 9.

Another question relating to the Mako‘s, can the extendon guards be replaced?

It's very easy to replace the extendon guards (unscrew and then screw in two bolts - it takes less than 5 minutes), but it would be hard to find new ones since the skates have been discontinued for years now. If you needed to replace them, you could look for a cheap used pair where the guards are in good shape and use those as a donor/parts skate. With that said, I've used a few pairs of Makos (for inline, ice and to officiate) for the past 4 years or so and have never had to replace the tendon guards. I did take a pair of tendon guards off the one pair of roller conversions I retired just so I have the spare parts if needed, but haven't needed to use them.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else experience their holders being installed slightly crooked? I've got pics I can post if need be, but I measured both my holder placement and they are different. The left skate holder is closer to the toe of the boot than the right, and also it's slightly skewed in the back toward the outside of the heel. This makes it tough to get my skate blade flat on the ice and also I've got to work just a hair harder to get on the outside edge. 

Called hockey monkey to see if they can fix but I'm not hopeful. They need to be moved less than the width of a rivet, so I'm not quite sure how that would work. It's a shame too because they are pretty much a perfect form fit for my foot. So much better than my old Vapors from 2008. I'm considering maybe FT1's but it's extremely unlikely they'll fit as good. Also considering VH/True but I'm reading some horror stories over on that thread... For all the money they are worth people seem to be having some issues. 

It is certainly possible to remove the holder, fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill them slightly offset, so this can be fixed. The question now is if it is necessary, if they are only slightly crooked and it is more a mental thing than anything else (meaning they are mounted straight and once in-game you don't notice it), I'd say keep em as they are.

I recently moved from Make 2 (2 seasons) to Vapor 1x (1 season) to a second-hand VH skate that just happens to fit me decently, and I love them so much my next pair will be my own custom True skate. Take the "horror stories" with a grain of salt, very few (if any) people reported on issues with the fit so severe as the current case but that one spans the last few pages of the discussion.

• Like 3

I have a set of custom True skates and yes I've had some difficulties with them but I had a long list of goofy issues with my feet and ankles to deal with that regardless of who made me a set of custom skates, probably wouldn't haven't gotten it 100% the first time. You have to consider that the people who have had problems with them are more likely to come to sites like this to look for remedies or just complain but the vast vast majority of people who have True/VH skates are ecstatic with them and don't belong to forums like this or do and never mention that they have a pair.

Edited by CigarScott
grammar
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, gosinger said:

It is certainly possible to remove the holder, fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill them slightly offset, so this can be fixed. The question now is if it is necessary, if they are only slightly crooked and it is more a mental thing than anything else (meaning they are mounted straight and once in-game you don't notice it), I'd say keep em as they are.

I recently moved from Make 2 (2 seasons) to Vapor 1x (1 season) to a second-hand VH skate that just happens to fit me decently, and I love them so much my next pair will be my own custom True skate. Take the "horror stories" with a grain of salt, very few (if any) people reported on issues with the fit so severe as the current case but that one spans the last few pages of the discussion.

It's certainly not mental as I measured the offset with my tape measure. The left skate is installed about 1/8'' closer to the toe than the right one (not sure which is actually correct) and the rear tower is about 1/16 to 3/16 closer to the outside of the boot than the right holder's set up. Since the left skate doesn't feel balanced like the right one, I assume the entire holder is done improperly. For the past 4 years, I thought it was all in my head like you said ... but then I had to measure and find out it was real.

I'll have to see what Hockey Monkey says with regards to filling the holes and redrilling. Now that I've confirmed my suspicion I feel the imbalance even more so when I am out there.

So tempted to inquire about the Facebook post.. but don't know what size to get... I wear a size 7d in Bauer and they fit perfectly. (for my left foot as my right is a touch smaller). I currently have trues but intrigued about the makos

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

So tempted to inquire about the Facebook post.. but don't know what size to get... I wear a size 7d in Bauer and they fit perfectly. (for my left foot as my right is a touch smaller). I currently have trues but intrigued about the makos

If you read through earlier posts in this thread where people mention sizing, most people are the same size in Makos as current Bauer models. There are a few people who go up a half a size (I'm one of them - I found a 7.5EE would be the best fit for me in Bauer and wear 8EE in Makos.); so there's no guarantee without trying them on, but it seems about 90% of the sizing posts mention consistent sizing between Bauers and Makos as far as length goes. So your best bet is a 7D Mako if the 7D Bauers fit well. They'll likely feel too small before you bake them and you may have a hard time even getting them on; you won't know if they actually fit until you have them properly baked. 

If you do decide to grab a pair of 7D Makos, I'd recommend going for the second generation Mako II (or it's little brothers the M8 or M7) vs. the original Mako. There were durability issues with the original Makos that were addressed with the second release. The padding on the originals had a tendency to compress on the outside near the ankle and many people also had cracking issues with that model. I'd jump on the FB deal for $375 CAD for the Mako II, but wouldn't consider the originals for anything more than $150 as they just don't hold up as well.

After talking with somebody, I've been advised to NOT let hockey monkey touch my Mako's as far as fixing the holder issue.

Since this means shipping my skates somewhere... can somebody suggest a shop in the US that would be the best place to send these? If somebody will know who does quality skate repair its gotta be here on MSH.

16 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

After talking with somebody, I've been advised to NOT let hockey monkey touch my Mako's as far as fixing the holder issue.

Since this means shipping my skates somewhere... can somebody suggest a shop in the US that would be the best place to send these? If somebody will know who does quality skate repair its gotta be here on MSH.

I'd send them to @JR Boucicaut using the MSH Pro Shop. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

If you read through earlier posts in this thread where people mention sizing, most people are the same size in Makos as current Bauer models. There are a few people who go up a half a size (I'm one of them - I found a 7.5EE would be the best fit for me in Bauer and wear 8EE in Makos.); so there's no guarantee without trying them on, but it seems about 90% of the sizing posts mention consistent sizing between Bauers and Makos as far as length goes. So your best bet is a 7D Mako if the 7D Bauers fit well. They'll likely feel too small before you bake them and you may have a hard time even getting them on; you won't know if they actually fit until you have them properly baked. 

If you do decide to grab a pair of 7D Makos, I'd recommend going for the second generation Mako II (or it's little brothers the M8 or M7) vs. the original Mako. There were durability issues with the original Makos that were addressed with the second release. The padding on the originals had a tendency to compress on the outside near the ankle and many people also had cracking issues with that model. I'd jump on the FB deal for $375 CAD for the Mako II, but wouldn't consider the originals for anything more than $150 as they just don't hold up as well.

I was curious because of the diverse replies .. thanks. 

Paging Dr Boucicaut - Please tell me what you'd need from me in order to make this happen. I've got pics of said issues, etc. Looking to try to fix this soon if possible.

Funny coincidence, I'm going to rebake mine tonight at the recommended spec above. I bought some clamps from hardware store to try and really dial in my ankle/heel fitment... Can you squeeze on that hard carbon fiber heel area with clamps right after the bake? I've used a heat gun on the boot before to press and punch in little areas on the sides, but I'm trying to use these clamps to press in as much of the heel/ankle area as possible. Don't want to crack or break these in the process.

I finally got my Mako repaired, reinforced and with a Quad 0 profile with +1 pitch and 1" ROH. Didn't really like the pitch but I will give it one more chance before I switch back.

Former skate was a Nexus with Quad 1 1" ROH 

b1zGACj.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sourfe said:

I finally got my Mako repaired, reinforced and with a Quad 0 profile with +1 pitch and 1" ROH. Didn't really like the pitch but I will give it one more chance before I switch back.

Former skate was a Nexus with Quad 1 1" ROH 

b1zGACj.jpg

Looks good! What was done and who did the work?

The back and front of the outsole have been reinforced with two layers of carbon and one layer of glassfiber.

I bought the skate barely used but had a small crack just outside the holder. The crack was repaired and to prevent more damage to the very weak outsole I decided to reinforce all the poorly made parts. Some of the plastic in  the toecap was removed to get some extra support.

860 gram after the repairs (8EE). What is the original weight??

The repairs was made by Sharp4.se

Edited by sourfe
  • Like 1

Bought these skates off ebay, figured I'd know what they were once they arrived. Now I'm holding them in my hands and I'm just as stumped. Any of you guys know what these Mako's are?

IMG_0973.jpg

More images on my website.

Those look like Mako's had a love child with some Jetspeeds or something.... haha. Very interesting...Could it possibly some kind of prototype? Toe caps look just like my Mako's but obviously the "outsole" and QP is very different, along with eyelets.