Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

those are interesting ... they look like an evolution of the Mako2 with some possible improvements. The quarter package on the 2 gets cut and torn.. this would solve that. It looks like a possible Mako 3 prototype but hard to tell without seeing more pics and knowing if shell is carbon fiber or other. 

Edited by goodguy

Whatever these are, it’s cool to see something uncommon. I see a Mako trying to bridge the gap to Micron Lasers by channeling Nike Flexlites. Crazy look. How do they feel and perform?

19 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Those look to be the lower-end model they were supposed to come out with the 2/M8.

I saw the next evolution of the skate, and it wasn't named Mako.  

@NiCnoK what's the model on the top of the tongue say?

They just say Mako. The text, along with everything else, is much more red than orange. I had assumed it just appeared red in the auction pics, but it's nothing like the orange on my II's.

IMG_0979_zoomed.jpg

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

Whatever these are, it’s cool to see something uncommon. I see a Mako trying to bridge the gap to Micron Lasers by channeling Nike Flexlites. Crazy look. How do they feel and perform?

I have yet to try them. They appear to be brand new, they certainly have never been sharpened. I have two pairs of II's and a pair of M8's I converted to inline, so I'll prolly hold off on using them myself. Especially if they're a lower-grade version of my II's. 

Thanks for all the other insight, fellas. I'm pretty intrigued by these, as well. Also, Thanks @JR Boucicaut for confirming they aren't the "Mako 3"

Also, what’s what on there? It looks like plastic where the composite usually is, the tendon guard is cool, different than the standard Mako tendon guard. Are they same size as your other makos? How much do they weigh? Any chance you could do a full write up or video on them? Whether they’re just midrange or whatever, they’re awesomely rare!

On 12/20/2018 at 10:50 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

I mean, do they feel high-end?

Not like my Mako II's. When I pulled them out the box, I'll admit, I felt a bit disappointed. Thanks for the clarification, none the less. 

On 12/20/2018 at 2:34 PM, flip12 said:

Also, what’s what on there? It looks like plastic where the composite usually is, the tendon guard is cool, different than the standard Mako tendon guard. Are they same size as your other makos? How much do they weigh? Any chance you could do a full write up or video on them? Whether they’re just midrange or whatever, they’re awesomely rare!

They are the same size, and exceedingly light. That might be why the didn't feel as high-end in my hand as the Mako II's. I'm not 100% sure about the material, but it feels like plastic to me.

I'll prolly just re-list them on ebay. I've thought about keeping them around in case my current CXN holders end up failing, but I'm not going to sharpen and bake them. Especially now that it seems pretty certain that they'd be a step down from my II's or the M8's I have converted for inline.

Hey Boys,

The Makos have seemed to be the hockey unicorn right now.  The boot on my Mako 1's just came apart at the seam on the left boot two weeks ago after close to 5 years of use.  Luckily, I snagged a pair of 2's when I heard Easton hockey got bought by Bauer, so I had a backup pair waiting.  Was browsing another website just before Christmas and found another used pair in my size with Step steel.  So I have a a backup pair.  Absolutely love the Makos and tried many skates before I bought them originally to replace my 18yo CCM VacuTacks.

Side note: Have a pair of Marsblades that almost mimic the feel of Makos for roller.

My question, for my first post:  Is there a way to repair the seam that has split.  My initial thought is NO since it was probably heat bonded or some-such.  I wanted to use these old boots to remount my marsblade holders since the Verbrero boot is terribly uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Squ1d

See the post in this thread from Nov 30th - I linked to it above for easy access. It's possible to repair it if you find someone who knows what they're doing. 

Not sure if it's ok to post this here or not, so if not, I will happily take it down.  Just wanted to make folks aware.  I have 2 pairs of Brand New - still in box, Mako M8s that i'm selling.  Size 10D if anyone is interested.  Have them in the marketplace. Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SailRace said:

Not sure if it's ok to post this here or not, so if not, I will happily take it down.  Just wanted to make folks aware.  I have 2 pairs of Brand New - still in box, Mako M8s that i'm selling.  Size 10D if anyone is interested.  Have them in the marketplace. Thanks

Was about to delete your post until I saw the "have them in the marketplace" bit... 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, z1ggy said:

Anybody coming from Mako I/II go into FT1 or plan to go into FT2? Any thoughts/feed back on fit etc would be helpful. Thx.

I've taken the FT1s out for a few ice times (shops demo program for the skates). Both initial fit and after baking I still had a hotspot next to my pinky toe (toecap meets boot area) on both feet, though less so after baking. I really liked the heel lock and other than the hotspot I felt it fits similar to Mako II with how close the boot wrapped around my foot. Performance wise I definitely felt more powerful strides with the FT1 but that's probably due to my Mako IIs breaking down.

I'm coming from One95s -> One.9 -> Mako m8 -> Mako II so I believe I'm supposed to be in a SuperTacks (wider forefoot) but when I tried them on it felt like I had more open space all over compared to the Mako/FT1 and wouldn't wrap as well even after baking. Hard to say without getting the SuperTacks baked but that wasn't an option where else the FT1s were.

I still have 1 new pair of mako IIs but once that's a goner, I'd probably move onto FT1s when it goes on clearance or try on the SuperTacks/AS1 and see which feels better at the time.

That's my issue... my Mako's really starting to break down on me. I have a few weird boney protrusions on my foot so I do probably want to use the 3D scan fit tool. Have a little wider forefoot myself but my heel is so narrow and my foot volume so low that Supreme's or AS1 is just too big. 1X too narrow in the forefoot... but then DD too big, so on and so on. Glad to hear the Jetspeed is working out for another Mako user. 

How'd you feel about the overall pitch of the FT1 boot & holder? I had my Mako's fitted with neutral step steel and small shims under my front tower because I felt the pitch was really aggressive. Much happier with this pitch now. 

I had similar fitment issues as you did with the vapor lineup (tried on APX2 D width, no E or EE available) and the forefoot was way to narrow which reinforced my decision of sticking with the Supreme lineup since it fit well enough. I didn't like the changes from the One95 to the One.9 since it didn't wrap as well and the tongue was way too thick for my liking. As a replacement for the Makos, I was initially I was thinking of moving into the SuperTacks (1pc boot like the Makos, similar fit to Supremes) but the shop I went to suggested the FT1s being a closer fit to the Makos so I gave that a shot.

Going from Makos to FT1's, the pitch is less aggressive and would probably match your current setup. Personally, I liked the forward pitch of the Makos and never had an issue skating on them even though I came from a more neutral pitch that the Supremes had.

Once the FT2's release and if they have the same 90 day guarantee or if the shop has a demo program, I suggest giving that a shot and see how it goes. Definitely helped when coming to a decision for a future skate that could replace my Mako IIs.

• Like 1

Has anyone gone up a holder size on their makos.  Were you successful? I’m looking to go from a 280 to a 288.  

Edited by iceman8310

1 hour ago, grainmaker181 said:

just picked up some new old stock mako II's, and now have found another new pair?  is it worth buying a second pair?

If they fit you and you like them then yes I’d say so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grainmaker181 said:

just picked up some new old stock mako II's, and now have found another new pair?  is it worth buying a second pair?

If the first pair fits well, then absolutely. The only similar skate on the market right now are the True skates that will likely cost you A LOT more.