Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Can confirm after coming from Mako II's... Nothing else out there fits like it. I have no experience with True but from what I hear it's got that same anatomical fit as the Mako. Biggest difference from Bauer, CCM etc will be toe box. Now that I'm in FT1 I really miss that Mako toe box. If you slapped that on my FT1's I would be thrilled.

• Like 1

The toe box on the new Vapor line coming out this year looks similar to the Mako toe box, however; it's not a one piece boot and I don't know if it'll be as responsive to heat. 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, sourfe said:

The back and front of the outsole have been reinforced with two layers of carbon and one layer of glassfiber.

I bought the skate barely used but had a small crack just outside the holder. The crack was repaired and to prevent more damage to the very weak outsole I decided to reinforce all the poorly made parts. Some of the plastic in  the toecap was removed to get some extra support.

860 gram after the repairs (8EE). What is the original weight??

The repairs was made by Sharp4.se

What was the cost on that? The work looks very good. 

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

The toe box on the new Vapor line coming out this year looks similar to the Mako toe box, however; it's not a one piece boot and I don't know if it'll be as responsive to heat. 

That in just in general Vapors have a weird fit now. D is extremely narrow and murders my forefoot and EE makes the heel sloppy. I've tried the past 4 gens of Vapor on and I haven't kept any on my foot for longer than 15 seconds.

The Mako toe box is a thing of beauty and I'm honestly not sure why CCM wouldn't try to copy it as much as possible. Nobody's damn foot is shaped like a upside down "U". I'm going to have to try and see if I can punch out the spot right where cap meets the boot otherwise I don't know if my pinky toe will be able to last very long.

• Like 1

I agree with you - the Vapors I've tried on in the past definitely don't fit me as well as Makos and no toe box has ever been as comfortable for my feet as the one on the Makos. With that said, the new 2X Pro toe box looks a little similar from the pictures out there. I have never tried them on; so don't know if they even come close comfort wise. 

What is the fit profile of these things?  My MX3s are getting to the end of their life, and I've come across a pair of Mako 2s.  My MX3s are 8EE, the Makos are 8.5D.  I remember trying on a pair of original Makos very briefly when they were first released, in size 8 or 8.5 D (I can't remember), and they fit pretty well from what I recall.

Also, what's the impact protection like?  I've taken shots in my Supremes that have left some serious bruises.  I was thinking it might be from the Curv quarters, since in my much softer Nike V12s I never felt a thing.

Thanks for the input.  I'm just wondering if it makes sense to take a shot on these.

To me, the Mako is wider in the toe box than Supremes, but the heel is tighter. Makos are also baked longer and are more responsive to heat.

Many people use the same size in Bauer and Makos, but some go a half size either way. Personally, I use 8EE Makos and have demoed 7.5EE Supremes. The length felt similar, but the Supremes were too tight on the forefoot and I had slight heel lift. With the Makos, my forefoot is comfortable and my heel is locked in.

You will feel shots in Makos, but could buy shot blockers like the ultrastop blockers https://images.app.goo.gl/SfqSFo4uUdhACqfo8

Or use skate fenders.

Edited by althoma1

22 hours ago, althoma1 said:

To me, the Mako is wider on the toe box than Supremes, but the heel is tighter. Majid are also baked longer and are more responsive to heat.

Many people use the same size in Bauer and Makos, but some go a half size either way. Personally, I use 8EE Makos and have demoed 7.5EE Supremes. The length felt similar, but the Supremes were too tight on the forefoot and I had slight heel lift. With the Makos, my forefoot is comfortable and my heel is locked in.

You will feel shots in Makos, but could buy shot blockers like the ultrastop blockers https://images.app.goo.gl/SfqSFo4uUdhACqfo8

Or use skate fenders.

Thanks.  I could probably get away with a 7.5EE 2S Pro, because they have seemed to get a little bigger recently.  7 3/4 custom for sure.  But if you think that they are a similar length and a little wider toe box, maybe the 8.5 D Mako 2 will fit close.  I really love the Supreme line.  They fit me pretty well.  But I remember how comfortable and light the Makos I tried on were.  I figured they might be worth a shot for sub-$400 if they would be close in size.

I have made myself custom shot blockers from a sheet of Lexan that I cut and heat molded.  I'd love some of that Ultra Stop material, but I can't seem to find any ordering or buying info on it. 

Man, I don't know if its being spoiled by my VH, my foot size shrinking after my weight loss (I'm routinely wearing shoes half a size smaller now), or just that the padding has broken down - but I skated on player skates for the first time in 6+ months on Tuesday night and my feet were killing me for the first half. Maybe that's more me than the skates (because of how long it had been since I used those muscles) but I have to decide if I'm going to start skating out (in pickups) routinely. If so, it may be time to get some new wheels. I wonder if I'd fit in size 8 Makos (assuming I could find some). 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Man, I don't know if its being spoiled by my VH, my foot size shrinking after my weight loss (I'm routinely wearing shoes half a size smaller now), or just that the padding has broken down - but I skated on player skates for the first time in 6+ months on Tuesday night and my feet were killing me for the first half. Maybe that's more me than the skates (because of how long it had been since I used those muscles) but I have to decide if I'm going to start skating out (in pickups) routinely. If so, it may be time to get some new wheels. I wonder if I'd fit in size 8 Makos (assuming I could find some). 

After taking a long break from hockey (over a year), I had to rebake my skates for them to be comfortable again. Maybe try that before making a big investment?

27 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah, can’t hurt. Maybe they just need a minor adjustment.

Gotta work on those cankels. 😆

On 5/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, IPv6Freely said:

What size are you wearing now ?

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Gotta work on those cankels. 😆

Hahaha well sorta. Definitely something I'm not surprised is painful after not doing it for so long!

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

What size are you wearing now ?

8.5D

My shoe size went from an 11 in sneakers and 10.5 in dress shoes and hiking boots, down to a 10.5 for sneakers and 10 in dress shoes/boots. Though to be fair I think the 11 was always on the bigger side, I just found them more comfortable. 

On 4/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, althoma1 said:

To me, the Mako is wider in the toe box than Supremes, but the heel is tighter. Makos are also baked longer and are more responsive to heat.

Or use skate fenders.

Did you ever find any info out about these?  My son is still in Makos and actually wearing a pair I bought for myself when they went out of business.  He's playing varsity HS now and I'm worried about taking a shot off the foot from an 18 yr old with a cannon.  He's not concerned, but I"m sure he'll be bummed if he takes one off the foot in makos with no extra protection. 

On 9/9/2019 at 1:28 AM, althoma1 said:

No more info then what's in the thread I linked to and what I heard at a modsquad event. There's also this old FB post: https://www.facebook.com/SkateTech29/posts/ultrastop-shot-blockers-on-these-bauer-1s-skates-one-of-the-most-popular-shot-bl/914215945392519/

Thanks.  I guess they don't want to sell.  Oh well

17 hours ago, smcgreg said:

Thanks.  I guess they don't want to sell.  Oh well

Contact @customskateworks.  

It's difficult because it's not really a product you just slap onto your skates.  You have to shape and heat and bevel edges and all that; I know Joe was working on having pre-cut pieces making it easier for retailers to work it (mind you the installers were always EQMs who have more tools/skillsets than your standard retail employee.)

I was considering carrying it and offering it in the Pro Shop but I've come to the realization that people on here don't care about what I offer in there; they'd rather get a subpar job locally or elsewhere.  Just being honest.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Contact @customskateworks.  

It's difficult because it's not really a product you just slap onto your skates.  You have to shape and heat and bevel edges and all that; I know Joe was working on having pre-cut pieces making it easier for retailers to work it (mind you the installers were always EQMs who have more tools/skillsets than your standard retail employee.)

I was considering carrying it and offering it in the Pro Shop but I've come to the realization that people on here don't care about what I offer in there; they'd rather get a subpar job locally or elsewhere.  Just being honest.

Yeah, that's me, always looking for the subpar job....

I get what you''re saying, but I'm not the problem 😉

Thanks for the referral.  I'll reach out. 

Steve

Yeah, you know that's not directed at you.  I'm just getting frustrated seeing people complain about services elsewhere, or buy steel elsewhere, when 100% of the profits of those services and steel sales support the site they're complaining on.

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yeah, you know that's not directed at you.  I'm just getting frustrated seeing people complain about services elsewhere, or buy steel elsewhere, when 100% of the profits of those services and steel sales support the site they're complaining on.

If I could get them through you, I'd be happy to do so.  When I contact them, I'll let them know where I got the info. 

Thanks for everything.

Steve

3 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Hello Mako experts.

I'm currently wearing CCM Super Tacks size 6.5 D.  Found someone selling Easton Mako II 6.5 EE.  Would this be a good fit, or should I look for a 6.5 D?

You actually might need a 7D. Can you try them on?