Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Rather than clutter up the gear sightings thread, I figured I'd condense all the information we have so far into one thread. We'll be seeing actual pictures and information soon enough, but for now here's what is known so far:

Back in November 2011 Easton buys MLX and names Dave Cruikshank the Chief of Speed of Easton's Speed Institute: http://www.eastonbel...speed-institute

This created a lot of speculation about a new Easton/MLX skate hybrid. To this point, it's still unknown how much MLX tech is going to be integrated into the Mako skate. There is speculation of course, but the question a lot of people are asking is will the same fit and molding capabilities as the MLX skate be integrated into the Mako skates. Rumor has it that it will be on par with the MLX skate... which is great for those that have flat feet and unusual feet type. Though I doubt the customer service some people enjoyed with MLX will be available with such a large company such as Easton. That said, until actual facts are released though this is all speculation.

The only actual solid fact we know is that the skate is in its final design. Here are some pictures. Personally, I like the design. It looks like the flexible tendon guard still exists - however in the last picture it at least looks like it might be removable. I can't tell if that's a screw or if it's just for show. A new holder design is making an appearance as well. At first glance the boot looks extremely deep too, which is great news for that audience.

Dave Cruikshank with what appears to be a prototype.

644056_10151104467929342_1944227061_n.jpg

226091_4457144985794_392801034_n.jpg

2390.jpg

easton-mako-hockey-skate.jpg

Please feel free to add any information you have, questions, etc etc. Easton is on this forum, but I doubt we'll get any actual facts until the holiday catalog comes out or they start posting actual real pictures of the skate.

• Like 1

Where'd that come from Harv?

If you look closely, Gonchar's skates have a silver wrap/binding on the lower quarter. Yours and the last picture in my post have black wrap/binding.

Where'd that come from Harv?

If you look closely, Gonchar's skates have a silver wrap/binding on the lower quarter. Yours and the last picture in my post have black wrap/binding.

I believe that picture is the retail version.

Any chance the Mako skate is a holiday-time release? Or will it be a standard next-spring timing?

This IW blog has some interesting information on the Mako skate: http://blog.icewarehouse.com/

It suggests that the Mako will have a limited release in early 2013. It also notes that the skate will use an "Extendon guard" which seems similar to what was on the MLX skate and the flexible tendon guard on the NXG skate. The reference to 16 minutes of baking time is surprising. I skate in KORs which are baked 10-12 minutes, but most skates are baked for 5 minutes or less. 16 minutes has to be a new all time high.

A lot of other interesting information is mentioned regarding the skate build and technology. It's a good read. One thing that isn't mentioned is the available sizes. I know the MLX was only available in full sizes and one width, but I expect Easton will offer both standard and wide widths as well as half sizes. I'll definitely be curious to try these on when I get the chance. They're certainly intriguing.

Edited by althoma1

An interesting read. I am also curious as to what is meant by "limited release". My all time favorite Easton skate was the S15 (best 6-month skate ever). I will say that the changes to the tendon guard and tongue on the NXG have resulted in signaficant performance gains (for me anyways).

Thread reopened.

Thought I was doing the honorable thing by respecting the launch; I guess the rest of the industry feels differently.

Do you think IW jumped the gun once again? Or collectively and not only them?

If you can get past the illusions created by color scheme and graphics you can see that the top of the boot is very much like the MLX and that the toe shape is very similar.

Personally hate the graphics but look forward to trying it on.

Thread reopened.

Thought I was doing the honorable thing by respecting the launch; I guess the rest of the industry feels differently.

While I appreciate you reopening the thread, if you feel that this is too early to be discussing the skate you can certainly lock this down again.

I believe that picture is the retail version.

It's close, the colors are a photo negative. The highlights will be orange, not red.

If you can get past the illusions created by color scheme and graphics you can see that the top of the boot is very much like the MLX and that the toe shape is very similar.

Personally hate the graphics but look forward to trying it on.

It's really as close to an MLX skate as it can get. Upgraded.

I have it on good authority that the molding capability of the skate will be on par with the MLX... which is all I need to know about the skate.

... because they are two different designs trying to achieve the same idea, and last time I checked you can’t patent an idea. So I would put my money on Easton if they did decide to fight each other in court.

Apple might disagree.

The reference to 16 minutes of baking time is surprising. I skate in KORs which are baked 10-12 minutes, but most skates are baked for 5 minutes or less. 16 minutes has to be a new all time high.

MLX skates are 16 minutes total. 8 minutes on each side so nothing's changed there.

Edited by shoeshine boy

MLX skates are 16 minutes total. 8 minutes on each side so nothing's changed there.

I have no experience with the MLX skates so I didn't know that, but to clarify, do you mean 8 minutes per skate? I can't imagine you'd turn or flip the skates if unless you're using a traditional oven as opposed to a skate oven (even then with a convection oven I wouldn't think there'd be a need to flip/turn them).

If it's only 8 minutes per skate that's certainly far less extreme than putting both skates in for 16 minutes.

Utility and design patents can be extremely vague, making them not far removed from patenting a "concept". There are countless cases of patents being issued for things that were never actually produced, essentially the same thing as patenting a concept.

I have no experience with the MLX skates so I didn't know that, but to clarify, do you mean 8 minutes per skate? I can't imagine you'd turn or flip the skates if unless you're using a traditional oven as opposed to a skate oven (even then with a convection oven I wouldn't think there'd be a need to flip/turn them).

If it's only 8 minutes per skate that's certainly far less extreme than putting both skates in for 16 minutes.

Most people baked their MLX skates at home.

Home oven - flip the skates over half way. That's how the MLX skates were made to work.

I'd wanted to try the MLX, but never got a chance to.

With how heat-moldable the MLX and the Mako skates were/are, do you think they'd generally (but not always) work for most foot types?

I saw the skate this week. If you are an MLX guy, you will not be disappointed, The skate is taken to the next level in every aspect. Baking a skate for 16 minutes is only the beginning of what speed skates are baked for. Therefore, the technology crossover is obvious regarding bake time. After a boot was heated for the presentation, it was as soft and pliable as a sneaker. The ability to shape the boot then is what makes the fit so customized like nothing else.

You shouldn't need a machine. The materials used in the Mako will literally form around your foot; at least that's how my MLX's worked. It is literally like wearing a pair of shoes. A little awkward to get used to, but I can't really go back to a 'traditional' skate. There's just too much negative space in every other boot for me.

Hopefully they'll offer a machine similar to CCM's for their U+ a couple years ago.

That machine was nothing but a compact regular electric oven you find in your kitchen.