Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

@pittu check my photos a couple posts above your original question. ive rolled mine out and they are maintaining the roll perfectly. also been focusing on keeping that more athletic forward stance.

Thanks McCormack, somehow I missed your post. That helps alot....

I'm interested to see what they'll do for lower price point skates in the Mako line. It seems like it would be a difficult process to make a toned down version of this skate. You really go full tilt or not at all. I haven't dug through every one of the 43 pages in this thread, so sorry if I'm repeating someone else's exact thoughts.

If I were Easton, I wouldn't put out a full line under Mako for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't believe that they have the market to support two full lines of skates (The RS already has a full line). Secondly, I wouldn't want to dilute the Mako's momentum or its innovative concept which they worked so hard to market and push with inferior products also carrying the Mako name.

I wouldn't release a Mako skate line. I do not see a reasonable way to lower the tech quality without losing the benefits of what makes the Mako skate what it is.

That can be said for any skate line. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few models to come out that lean on the Mako design concepts but at various levels of stripped down materials/options.

I wouldn't release a Mako skate line. I do not see a reasonable way to lower the tech quality without losing the benefits of what makes the Mako skate what it is.

i think what it would be in a lower version would be a more traditional boot but jazzed up, thus eliminating what makes it a mako. probably a wayyyy bigger difference than say an nxg down to a one100 or something.

i just got a pair of makos and unsure if they're going to fit me, they definitely are gearing towards zero extra volume. i use EE in bauer and got 8EE in these... theyre a very narrow running skate.

Edited by LakeshoreHockeyArenaWNY

i think what it would be in a lower version would be a more traditional boot but jazzed up, thus eliminating what makes it a mako. probably a wayyyy bigger difference than say an nxg down to a one100 or something.

i just got a pair of makos and unsure if they're going to fit me, they definitely are gearing towards zero extra volume. i use EE in bauer and got 8EE in these... theyre a very narrow running skate.

Bake them and find out. Hopefully you'll be surprised.

That's what I was thinking. If they made a cheaper model with the same basic boot design, but used a rigid one-piece outsole that we see on traditional skates, it would really ruin the entire concept.

That's what I was thinking. If they made a cheaper model with the same basic boot design, but used a rigid one-piece outsole that we see on traditional skates, it would really ruin the entire concept.

Considering they can do this..

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-skates-mako-jr.html

I suspect they can offer a lower level skate that isn't too far off the idea of the top level. The Sr model goes down to 6 and the junior goes up to 5.5. A 0.5 size difference for $300 tells me there's some room to work with on price. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I suspect they can offer a lower level skate that isn't too far off the idea of the top level. The Sr model goes down to 6 and the junior goes up to 5.5. A 0.5 size difference for $300 tells me there's some room to work with on price. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most companies do this. It's the same skate, but it's an awkward size figuring that many would opt for the Senior since the child's feet is still growing.

i would expect that the junior skates are materially different, as they need to be less stiff than the senior model for obvious reasons.

i would expect that the junior skates are materially different, as they need to be less stiff than the senior model for obvious reasons.

Stiffness wise sure, but I'm sure the pitch and everything is relatively the same (along with heat moldability)?

Overall with the V9 coming out I don't see them making a full line of Makos. I suggested they should make the Mako in a LE Blue edition, that would look amazing.

Stiffness wise sure, but I'm sure the pitch and everything is relatively the same (along with heat moldability)?

Sure, but the pitch of the holder isn't going to have an effect on pricing. The materials used will.

In regards to pricing, it really is just a means to cover all their bases, isn't it? I mean, a Size 11 SR skate will cost as much as the Size 6. It's just that the Size 11 will cost less than its "worth" (materials, mostly) and the size 6 more. That's why that 300 dollar jump for half a size sort of makes sense, and doesn't really denote a "lowering" of the materials (though yes, Junior skates are known to be softer).

i think they'd have better resale value unsharpened and unbaked... with 3 other sets of skates and coming back from a bad injury, i dont want to be trying something completely different ya know?

You won't know if they fit unless you bake. I couldn't get my foot into the 6.5 Ds I got and the brannock said I should be 7.5 wide. Baked em and I was sold. Plus, dealers are baking them all before sale, to convince people they will fit. So, if you bake yours it shouldn't make a difference for resale. You really won't know for sure unless you bake though. Shouldn't need to sharpen.

i think they'd have better resale value unsharpened and unbaked... with 3 other sets of skates and coming back from a bad injury, i dont want to be trying something completely different ya know?

You won't know the fit of the Mako's until you bake them. A minor 3 minute bake isn't going to hurt anything or anyone.

The sneakers I'm wearing now are 4E and I have no problems with the EE Mako. I could barely (and painfully) put my foot into the boot prior to baking. After baking, they fit like a glove.

Not much of a difference from what I see. Hell, most of the "unbaked" skates I see advertised show visible signs of use.

I don't know about others, but I have not rolled this many edges ever in any other skate. I really am skeptical about the metal and holder, but the boot is the most comfortable I have ever had. Giving the runners a few more hours before I try to change it out.

I don't know about others, but I have not rolled this many edges ever in any other skate. I really am skeptical about the metal and holder, but the boot is the most comfortable I have ever had. Giving the runners a few more hours before I try to change it out.

I gave up on the runner/holders. I'm having them switched out this week. I'll let you know Sunday after my first skate how it goes.

Putting on LS3/Edge holder

The steel is supposed to take more to get its first edge (I think Chadd posted this), but once it's there, it's supposed to hold that edge really well. Maybe it needs a more thorough sharpening?

I gave up on the runner/holders. I'm having them switched out this week. I'll let you know Sunday after my first skate how it goes.

Putting on LS3/Edge holder

Did you give up due to edge issues, or were there other reasons?

Please let us know how it goes on Sunday. I am curious about the forward lean vs. not, as well as your opinion on the LS3/Edge.

Edited by talkintothemike