Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I'm digging the Mako 2s. As for my Makos, I'm not on the ice as much as I'd like to be but it seems to be a blessing in disguise. Based on the feedback, it seems like the Makos aren't fairing well in the durability department.

Had mine since the second week they came out. I skate 5-7 times per week. No durability issues other than a well worn tongue. I will probably need to do something about it soon, but given the amount of time I spend on them, I'm happy.

I'm interested to know how many people here keep the stock runner/holder on? No knee strains for any of you ?

Stock holder/runners. I came from Supremes, so, the pitch was an extreme change. After a couple months I was very close to at least having JR change the profile on the runners for me, but after about 6 mo, I finally started adapting and benefiting. Let me say, I had no knee problems other than a bit of muscle soreness around the knees (vastus m. and rectus fem.) for the first few skates, but it was more a matter of adapting to the skating style required by the extreme ptich. As I say though, have finally adapted and think now I have benefited as a result.

I thought about changing the stock ones out when I first got the Makos but kept them instead. Zero problems with knee strain or extra tension in my legs, but leg strength and skating has always been my strongest asset.

Stock holders/runners here too, though I've had them profiled to 10' with a slight negative pitch. Like night and day. Now I have a rotation going between two sets of runners that I'm having sharpened by mail. It's nice having fresh steel every other game.

Changed out for LS so that I could keep my nitinol runners. I have heel lifts on the rear tower, so I retained the same forward pitch that the Mako's have with the CXN setup.

Changed to ls2 because I was bored at work and think the ls2 look better. honestly felt alot better on the tuuks though, wasnt happy to find out the rivet pattern does NOT lineup

I'm interested to know how many people here keep the stock runner/holder on? No knee strains for any of you ?

Still on stock holder/runner and no issues at all. It was one of the easiest transitions that I've ever made.

I too have keep runner/holder combo that comes as stock. My lower back doesn't hurt as much as it use to when I had my NikeBauers (due to the way I skate and slight curvature in my lower spine). It only took me one game to get use the aggressive pitch. Easy transition.

Add me to the stock holder/runner group, I moved from a Graf skate, so the transition was pretty smooth.

8'/10' Combo, Med forward pitch from No Icing.

Edited by Stanello

Add me to the stock holder/runner group, I moved from a Graf skate, so the transition was pretty smooth.

8'/10' Combo, Med forward pitch from No Icing.

You added MORE forward pitch??

You added MORE forward pitch??

I think me meant he did a medium forward pitch? So he reduced it... There's no way anyone adds more forward pitch to that skate lol

I think me meant he did a medium forward pitch? So he reduced it... There's no way anyone adds more forward pitch to that skate lol

I did a slight negative to reduce it.

Hey Optimus, I noticed you sold your pair of Mako's? Did you end up getting something else?

Also, I'm really interested in trying a pair once they go on sale since I don't really need a pair of new skates.

Do the stock runners come with an aggressive profile to go with the pitch of the holder? Did most of you stick with a profile that you've used before switching to Makos?

Hey Optimus, I noticed you sold your pair of Mako's? Did you end up getting something else?

I originally bought size 8, which ended up being too small. Now in an 8.5 and pretty happy, as long as I get the lacing just right.

I was getting a little knee pain in one knee but I'm old and mildly tore that knee's MCL around two years ago. I had my pitch reduced a little in the runners. The runner now has a +1 on Blackstone equipment. The change has caused the knee pain to go away (mostly). For grins I put the old stock runners back on for a week or two and the knee pain returned.

Edited by AfftonDad

Another more general question not necessarily to do with makos but I remember reading if you have some type of supination or out toe syndrome you shouldn't do more than a 9inch radius? Is this true ? Anyone else hear this?

Changed my holders back to the CXN from the 2.1s. Finally got used to the forward pitch. If I remember correctly, both the LS2.1 and the ES4 runners have a 9ft Radius. Is there any reason why I feel like I've got less blade contact despite using the same size holder? Is there a remedy for this? Or should I just skate a few more times in the CXN/ES4 to get acclimated?

Hi everyone.

I was wondering about the fit of Easton Mako skates. Currently, I have Bauer Vapor X60s, but I don't like them. They don't have enough protection when taking a slapshot to the ankle. I was thinking about upgrading to the Easton Makos. What size would I probably wear in them if in my x60s I am currently wearing a 5.5d skate. I measured my foot in inches also. At its longest length it is 9.5 inches long, and it is 3.5 inches wide at its widest point. I would go try them on, but the nearest hockey store that carries them is 100 miles away, and I don't want to drive there, and find out that I fit in senior sizes. Also I was wondering what people that own them think about them. I saw the Easton Mako skate topic, but I didn't know if this fit with that topic. Sorry if I posted it wrong.

Thanks!

Hi everyone.

I was wondering about the fit of Easton Mako skates. Currently, I have Bauer Vapor X60s, but I don't like them. They don't have enough protection when taking a slapshot to the ankle. I was thinking about upgrading to the Easton Makos. What size would I probably wear in them if in my x60s I am currently wearing a 5.5d skate. I measured my foot in inches also. At its longest length it is 9.5 inches long, and it is 3.5 inches wide at its widest point. I would go try them on, but the nearest hockey store that carries them is 100 miles away, and I don't want to drive there, and find out that I fit in senior sizes. Also I was wondering what people that own them think about them. I saw the Easton Mako skate topic, but I didn't know if this fit with that topic. Sorry if I posted it wrong.

Thanks!

Makos have less "protection" and many guys playing D are wearing extra skate guards on top of them from what i have noticed

Edited by DigiV

Makos have less "protection" and many guys playing D are wearing extra skate guards on top of them from what i have noticed

Thanks! What size do you think I would wear?

They are less protective, but I've never really considered being protective as a primary function of my skates. I've considered skate fenders even before I got my Makos, just because I have a habit of taking shots right off the top of the foot when I cover the point men.

Anyway, I found the Mako and the Vapor fit about the same on my foot, lengthwise. Different fits for sure, though. Not even remotely close.

My closest store is also about 100 miles away. Well worth the drive when you're talking about $800 skates. The other option is to order them online from somewhere with a decent return policy and try them at home. The downside here is that the Makos fit COMPLETELY different before and after baking. I literally couldn't even get the skates on my feet until I baked them. So you really can't get a good idea of how they will fit without trying them in a store (where they SHOULD bake them for you, even if you don't end up buying them).

But, if protection is the reason you don't like the X60s (and it's not because you don't like the fit), then I'm not sure the Mako is what you're looking for.

Thanks! What size do you think I would wear?

They open up a bit after baking. Before baking my toes were kinda cramped, afterwards they barely touch.. right where it should be.

They fit snug, so a narrow foot should work well with them.

Edited by DigiV