Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'm still tying them too tight. I got used to having to crank my Bauer Supremes as tight as I could to get a decent fit. There's not much space in the toe box, but I think I'll try Superfeet and re-bake. Interesting suggestion skipping the eyelet, I'll give that a try too! I love the feel of these skates, so I'm going to do whatever I can to keep them!

My kid is on his second pair of Mako's and never has an issue. He does have Powerfoot insert and stock insert. He does skip the top set of eyelet, and ties his skate snug, not tight. Or more like slightly looser at bottom eyelets and snug at the 2nd -3rd set...

Did you try some really basic insoles that have no arch support? Or perhaps no insoles at all? If not, try no insoles and see. If it works, get some basic insoles. You can get "Graf Anatomical Footbed". I think Monkey has them for $9. These are great as they cover the rivets really well and support the heel nicely. As far as the basic insoles go, these are probably the smartest design... sometime less is more.

I tried them on without the foot bed and immediately felt I had the additional volume I need! Unfortunately, the rivets were annoying. I think a combination of a thinner foot bed, thin sock and looser tying will do the trick!

Success! I played last night, 1 hour of drills and another hour of rat. I used a very thin sock (Fox River sox liner) and I used the foot beds from my old Bauer Supreme 170s, which are much thinner than the Mako foot beds. I was actually able to tighten them fairly snug and had no discomfort. More importantly, not the least bit of numbness! The Bauer foot beds in the Makos do push on my arch just a bit, so I may pick up the Graf Anatomical you suggested Kgbeast, but it wasn't too bad. Thanks for everyone's help!

Attention Mako skate lovers. Monkey is blowing out all Easton gear and they are offering an additional 35% off when you use the code easton35.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stick9 said:

Attention Mako skate lovers. Monkey is blowing out all Easton gear and they are offering an additional 35% off when you use the code easton35.

Ya. Because of you now I'll have even more Mako skates. 

21 hours ago, stick9 said:

Oh great. How many spares can I hide from my wife...

On 8/27/2016 at 9:21 AM, stick9 said:

Might be hard to pass up. Anyone tried the m7? Im in some ccm u10s right now but have always wanted to try out makos. Maybe as a backup skate

I am currently using the M7 and the original orange Makos. I prefer the M7, the ankle padding is better, they are stiffer, and the thick pro style tongue (personal preference, its not everyone, takes some volume away). 

17 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

And just ordered two more pairs on HM of the M7s

Save some for the rest of us! Whats your foot shape like icewalker? I have a narrow heel and a low arch with medium volume. I know these are more narrow skates and when i tried on the mako m8 they killed my feet, but i heard after baking they are amazing.

46 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Absolutely, unbaked = most uncomfortable skate, some cannot even put they feet in. Baked = Most comfortable skate you have ever put on your feet. 

I have a narrow heel, medium-low volume. 

Awesome thanks for the input. Gonna snag a pair

No 8.5s left. 

"Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!"

5 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:
5 hours ago, start_today said:

I currently have U+CLs, size 8.5.  Anyone know how they would compare to M8 sizing?

Same, the only difference is i had to put  two insoles in my CL's, much more volume than the Makos. 

If you look at the review section here you'll see that the first reviewer dropped down half a size in U+CL skates vs Supremes. Reading through the Mako thread it seems a lot of people who used to wear Supremes use the same size in the Mako. The Supertacks thread also mentioned that the old CCM sizing was about a half size larger than Bauer in most skates. Now, this assumes all those people were sized properly in their skates, but those facts would lead one to believe that a 9 Mako might work for someone who wore 8.5CLs.

It does seem icewalker has used both the CL's and Makos; so his input is informative, however; each foot is different. You might be an 8.5 or a 9...you can't be 100% sure until you try them baked on your feet. At this price you could probably recoup most, if not all, of your money if the 9's don't work out.

Edited by althoma1

I agree with you 100%. Every foot is diffent. Id say it mostly has to do with volume issues, obviously the if you are fine in CL volume wise, the makos might feel a bit tight, and to compensate youd get .5 bigger. Lenght wise, toes touching for me while standing in a Mako 7d and a CL 7d. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, Hat_Trick_Hokie said:

Hockey Monkey has the M8 for $200 and M7 for $140 today.  Time to stock up.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/black-friday-sale-july-skates-sr.html

9 minutes ago, kyleo29 said:

Picked up some m7s for $142 with free ship.  Cant beat that

Technically you could've beat that in late July...see the post on July 29 by Hat_Trick. With that said, no one has a time machine and it was only $2 less. Still a great deal!