Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

On 8/28/2016 at 10:58 AM, kyleo29 said:

Might be hard to pass up. Anyone tried the m7? Im in some ccm u10s right now but have always wanted to try out makos. Maybe as a backup skate

I know I'm a little late, but I really like my M7's.  Have a pair of M8's from the last sale that are still in the box untouched.  I'm used to the normal felt tongues, so I'm unsure if the tongue guards are going to be hard to adjust to on the M8's.

For the price, I wish I went and picked up another pair to convert to inlines...

14 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Technically you could've beat that in late July...see the post on July 29 by Hat_Trick. With that said, no one has a time machine and it was only $2 less. Still a great deal!

HM used to charge 10$ shipping, when I ordered mine a few days ago they did not, it is free shipping now. So technically it is cheaper.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Same, the only difference is i had to put  two insoles in my CL's, much more volume than the Makos. 

Yeah similar issue. Went from a 7.5 in my old ccm vectors to the same size in the u10s. huge difference in volume, heel depth and length. Had to put in a second insole and use stable26 socks to fill negative space. Hopefully the makos will be a more contoured tight fit. 

After a year of my Vapor's tearing my feet apart (toe box meets boot area) I pulled the trigger on some Mako 8's today

I didn't get them as good priced as you guys, but still good IMO

I wore an 8.5 Vapor X Shift Pro (Source SMU) and still went w the 8.5 in the Mako 8's

The guys at Source let me bake them before I purchased as well, which made a world of difference - these things heat soo good, wow

Right now they are in the shop getting some LightSpeed Edge holders and LS2 steel 

Also tossed in my old Super Feet from my Vapor's and these just fit like a shoe, it's really insane 

I should have them for my skate tomorrow and report back - because 125 pages isn't enough info yet!! LOL!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread, tons of great info 

Edited by enis750

Howdy,

On 7/31/2016 at 2:38 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Keep in mind makos don't fit anything like other Easton skates. 

Also, they're so heat moldable they should work on just about any foot. 

Well, I guess I'm going to find out.  Just ordered some M8's in an 8D size.  Certainly can't argue with the price, so hopefully if they don't work for me I can flip them.

Mark

Hey guys, do any of you know how the M8's run in size compared to the Supreme One95s, or the older Easton Stealth (think S12 ans S15)?  I used to run a 10D in the S12, and went down to a 9.5D in the One95.  Would love to pick up a pair of the M8s since I'm finally getting back into the game after a couple year hiatus, but am unsure which size to go for since there isn't anywhere nearby I can get to in order to try stuff on.  

Howdy,

14 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Well, I guess I'm going to find out.  Just ordered some M8's in an 8D size.  Certainly can't argue with the price, so hopefully if they don't work for me I can flip them.

Mark

And, with some advice from @JR Boucicaut, I dropped the size down to a 7.5D, since my current 8D Ribcor 46k's seem a touch too long.

Nothing like starting over with skates.  Sigh.  :-)

Mark

11 hours ago, tcraig said:

Hey guys, do any of you know how the M8's run in size compared to the Supreme One95s, or the older Easton Stealth (think S12 ans S15)?  I used to run a 10D in the S12, and went down to a 9.5D in the One95.  Would love to pick up a pair of the M8s since I'm finally getting back into the game after a couple year hiatus, but am unsure which size to go for since there isn't anywhere nearby I can get to in order to try stuff on.  

I too am curious, how the M8s compare to graf sizes. I wear 9 in grafs. Should I go with an 8.5D in M8s?

12 hours ago, tcraig said:

Based on most posts here and elsewhere most people seem to use the same size in Supremes and Makos, however; some people go a half size up and some a half size down. Each foot is different; you're most likely a 9.5D in the Makos, but could be a 9D or 10D. You really can't be sure until you bake them in the sizes, however; if you have to guess I'd go with the 9.5.

1 hour ago, Troubadour said:

I too am curious, how the M8s compare to graf sizes. I wear 9 in grafs. Should I go with an 8.5D in M8s?

Most people go a half size up for Graf vs. Bauer and a lot of people use the same size in Bauer and Makos; so the 8.5 would be your best bet, but you could be a half size either way since each person's feet are different.

23 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Based on most posts here and elsewhere most people seem to use the same size in Supremes and Makos, however; some people go a half size up and some a half size down. Each foot is different; you're most likely a 9.5D in the Makos, but could be a 9D or 10D. You really can't be sure until you bake them in the sizes, however; if you have to guess I'd go with the 9.5.

Most people go a half size up for Graf vs. Bauer and a lot of people use the same size in Bauer and Makos; so the 8.5 would be your best bet, but you could be a half size either way since each person's feet are different.

Thanks, after some more research last night I decided to pull the trigger on the M8's in a 9.5D at like 2:30am since the additional 35% off at HM ended today. Hopefully they're good to go, I'm really excited to try them out.  My One95s fit my heel well, but never felt quite "right", so hoping these will be the ticket. At about $200 out the door, can't complain!

The 9.5D is your most likely size so that's a good call; at that price you should be able to resell them and recoup your money if they don't work out anyway. You've probably gathered this already from this thread, but don't panic if it's hard or impossible to get your feet in before baking. That's pretty normal - Makos in the right size generally only fit well after baking.

• Like 2

Well boys, I don't want to come in here and sh*t on these skates, as there are TONS of guys that love them

I do not, so mine will be hitting eBay after 3 shifts ... yes all the chance I gave them

Back to tearing my feet apart in my Vapors

Glad I didn't order some VH skates, wow that would have been an expensive lesson!! LOL! 

6 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

How is the Vapor better if it is tearing your feet apart?

I just didn't like the way they (Mako's) felt on the ice at all

felt like there was zero support in them, both my feet went numb (and they weren't tied too tight) and I couldn't find my edges at all

I don't doubt these are incredible skates for the right person, and for sure the most comfy Ive ever tried - but they under performed for me only after 3 shifts 

Ill deal w the Vapors somehow and make them work - its the toe box area that bothers me, rest of the boot/skate is fine 

Edited by enis750

19 minutes ago, enis750 said:

Well boys, I don't want to come in here and sh*t on these skates, as there are TONS of guys that love them

I do not, so mine will be hitting eBay after 3 shifts ... yes all the chance I gave them

Back to tearing my feet apart in my Vapors

Glad I didn't order some VH skates, wow that would have been an expensive lesson!! LOL! 

Can you be more specific? What didn't you like?

1 minute ago, enis750 said:

I just didn't like the way they (Mako's) felt on the ice at all

felt like there was zero support in them, both my feet went numb in them (and they weren't tied too tight) and I couldn't find my edges at all

I don't doubt these are incredible skates for the right person, and for sure the most comfy Ive ever tried - but they under performed for me only after 3 shifts 

Ill deal w the Vapors somehow and make them work - its the toe box area that bothers me, rest of the boot/skate is fine 

My feet were going numb too the 1st few shifts, zero problems now. Which ones did you get? The original Mako's were slightly softer than the M2, M8 and m7, but they are not a soft skate by any means, you must really like a stiff boot.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

My feet were going numb too the 1st few shifts, zero problems now. Which ones did you get? The original Mako's were slightly softer than the M2, M8 and m7, but they are not a soft skate by any means, you must really like a stiff boot.  

I bought the new ones - M8

I do prefer a super stiff boot, coming from a Vapor X Shift Pro (Source SMU brand) w some features from the X900 boot

Edited by enis750

11 hours ago, Troubadour said:

My daughter wears Graf 535's and Easton Mako 2's. She wears the same size in both.

FWIW, she has relegated her Mako's to back up status citing the Graf's comfort and better stance (both skates have been profiled). Her first game of the year is tomorrow night and she's been skating on the Easton since probably February so will be interesting to see how it goes.

5 hours ago, enis750 said:

I bought the new ones - M8

I do prefer a super stiff boot, coming from a Vapor X Shift Pro (Source SMU brand) w some features from the X900 boot

I am sorry I missed your post above somehow where you explained everything. 

You know best how you feel,  they are different than your vapors yes, but I do believe that you gave up way too fast if you skated only a few minutes or so on them.  I could not step on my feet after removing them after the first hour or two, arch completely numb and in pain, which is simply the amazing wrap my feet have never seen and keeping somewhat squezzed , my feet were always used to ''flatting out in skates that were always too wide and too voluminous''. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, enis750 said:

What does VH have to do with it? 

21 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

What does VH have to do with it? 

the construction and boot feel seem to be similar

I wasn't aware that our Source was a VH dealer and was also able to try a pair on - the Mako's and VH felt very very similar

I was just referring to spending $1000 for skates and not liking them opposed to a few hundred dollars 

10 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

I am sorry I missed your post above somehow where you explained everything. 

You know best how you feel,  they are different than your vapors yes, but I do believe that you gave up way too fast if you skated only a few minutes or so on them.  I could not step on my feet after removing them after the first hour or two, arch completely numb and in pain, which is simply the amazing wrap my feet have never seen and keeping somewhat squezzed , my feet were always used to ''flatting out in skates that were always too wide and too voluminous''. 

Ive never had my feet go numb inside a skate before, other than when it's -25 and playing outside

I would wholeheartedly agree that these skates feel incredible (in the store) and have a cool wrap on your foot

but when skating on them, they didn't give me the feedback I was looking for

Ive been through probably 4 pairs in the last 3 years, and these are in a league of their own for sure - just not for me tho

good thing, is there are lots of other companies making skates and we have some choices

I am still grateful for the thread and the info tho, otherwise I never wouldn't have thought to try them

I have had many experiments fail w golf equipment that worked for other guys but not for me (I am a gear nerd/whore in that aspect too) 

lesson learned and it wasn't too expensive of one, which is even better!! LOL!

Edited by enis750

1 hour ago, enis750 said:

the construction and boot feel seem to be similar

I wasn't aware that our Source was a VH dealer and was also able to try a pair on - the Mako's and VH felt very very similar

I was just referring to spending $1000 for skates and not liking them opposed to a few hundred dollars 

Think of it like this. Mako is a stock boot with custom insides (thanks to the level of heat molding ability). VH is a custom boot with custom insides. If you tried on a pair of VH, then it must have just been a stock boot they have. Buying VH without going custom is just silly.

So while you may not like the Mako fit, there's no good reason why anyone wouldn't like the VH fit because it's literally made for your foot. The only way I could see somebody not liking VH is just because they're used to an ill-fitting ski boot-like boot and don't like things feeling different to them.  

• Like 2