Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Recommended Posts

If you're referring to my post - I spot heated the skate carefully with my foot out of the skate, then put my foot in and wrapped the sock around and put the clamp on and let it cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick report back... results largely untested.

I did my work last night with my foot out of the boot.  I was mostly focusing heat on the carbon lower heel section and just above where the reinforcement band runs around the upper heel before angling down towards the sole. 

Heated them for probably about 5-8 minutes per boot.  The carbon section was super hot so grabbed a dish towel to protect my hands.  Interlaced my fingers and used my palms to squeeze the heel in.  I could feel it giving a bit.  Certainly not the play-doh feel of the upper after a full bake, but it did soften.  The upper heel band area softened more in comparison.  Squeezed and massaged for a good 5 minutes or so and then set aside once it had started to cool a decent amount.

Unfortunately by the time I got through both boots it was pretty late, so I put them aside for a bit.  Did slip one boot on as I was getting ready for bed, but I was barefoot, so not an accurate sense.  But based on that quick slip on and tie, I think I managed to get them to come in a bit. 

Will give them a full try-on tonight with socks after work to assess just how much things changed.  Depending on those results, will figure out if I need to get a bit more aggressive with the heatgun and a clamp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Quick report back... results largely untested.

I did my work last night with my foot out of the boot.  I was mostly focusing heat on the carbon lower heel section and just above where the reinforcement band runs around the upper heel before angling down towards the sole. 

Heated them for probably about 5-8 minutes per boot.  The carbon section was super hot so grabbed a dish towel to protect my hands.  Interlaced my fingers and used my palms to squeeze the heel in.  I could feel it giving a bit.  Certainly not the play-doh feel of the upper after a full bake, but it did soften.  The upper heel band area softened more in comparison.  Squeezed and massaged for a good 5 minutes or so and then set aside once it had started to cool a decent amount.

Unfortunately by the time I got through both boots it was pretty late, so I put them aside for a bit.  Did slip one boot on as I was getting ready for bed, but I was barefoot, so not an accurate sense.  But based on that quick slip on and tie, I think I managed to get them to come in a bit. 

Will give them a full try-on tonight with socks after work to assess just how much things changed.  Depending on those results, will figure out if I need to get a bit more aggressive with the heatgun and a clamp.

If that did not work, next time try heating the skates up the same way and use large c-lamp or a large squeeze-clamp. You'd do that with your foot in the skate so you can feel how much to clamp and where.  You probably would want over-clamp a little as the boot most likely will come back a little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

If that did not work, next time try heating the skates up the same way and use large c-lamp or a large squeeze-clamp. You'd do that with your foot in the skate so you can feel how much to clamp and where.  You probably would want over-clamp a little as the boot most likely will come back a little. 

Yep, thanks.  I've done that method with other skates.  Was trying the subtle approach first this time around.  We'll see tonight how it worked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, marka said:

I _think_ this is a pretty good deal for Mako folks?

CXN holder w/runner for $30, plus 25% off at HockeyMonkey.

If they have your size, that price looks great.  Sounds like the usual cost for a set of steel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2016 at 3:04 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

I _think_ this is a pretty good deal for Mako folks?

CXN holder w/runner for $30, plus 25% off at HockeyMonkey.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/140459

Mark

If only they had my size. given how rare holders and runners are becoming for Easton, I might just go ahead and throw some tuuks on them now so that I can get used to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

42 minutes ago, kyleo29 said:

If only they had my size. given how rare holders and runners are becoming for Easton, I might just go ahead and throw some tuuks on them now so that I can get used to them. 

Yeah, yesterday when I posted they had both 7/7.5 and 8/8.5, but I see they're out now.

I was pretty happy to see them, as I hadn't found normal steel anywhere in the 7/7.5 size.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2016 at 4:04 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

I _think_ this is a pretty good deal for Mako folks?

CXN holder w/runner for $30, plus 25% off at HockeyMonkey.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/140459

Mark

Thanks for pointing this out, just noticed one of my holders is totally shattered back by the heel. If you only need the holders and not steel, they seem to have a lot of sizes left of the holder only, which are currently 9.99 each.  I'm going to order an extra pair so I've got one on reserve, since I much prefer the aggressive stance of the CXN holders over Tuuks...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2016 at 11:33 AM, krisdrum said:

Will give them a full try-on tonight with socks after work to assess just how much things changed.  Depending on those results, will figure out if I need to get a bit more aggressive with the heatgun and a clamp.

Did it work? The steep arches of these skates cramp my feet.  Unfortunately that area of the skate is the hard carbon. Curious if this area can actually be shaped.

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2016 at 11:41 AM, JimmyTheDriver said:

Did it work? The steep arches of these skates cramp my feet.  Unfortunately that area of the skate is the hard carbon. Curious if this area can actually be shaped.

Thanks!

Sorry, just seeing this.  Was away for the holidays and didn't even get a chance to skate in these until this week.  I was not able to get the hard carbon area to move for me, at least not that I could tell, whether with a heat gun or re-bake.  It sure as heck gets hot though, ouch!  In the heel I was able to get the upper, just above the hard carbon to come in for me, and although the jury is still out, I think that addresses my fit needs.  I skated with them yesterday for an hour and then re-baked the left skate last night using compression bandages and some clamps to get them as conformed as possible.  I'd already spot heated the right skate and compressioned/clamped the heel in them a few weeks back. 

If the arch is too high for you, pretty sure you can heat it (from the inside and outside of the boot) and push it out with the butt-end of a screwdriver or thumbs.  There is a video out there from Easton showing this method.  Might be worth giving it a shot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Easton, I got a garbage sharpening job on my M8s, so I went back to my older skates (CCM CLs)  until it was fixed.  I like the fit and feel of the "traditional" skate so much better. 

I noticed the negavite space in the toes  and in a boot a little bit when I was dressing, but once I was on the ice, I didn't notice at all. 

Its been a fun dalliance  with the Makos, but deep down, I know what my heart wants. I just can't keep doing this, it's not right. I'm going back to regular skates. They may not be sexy and sleek, but they are comfortable and reliable, and we have something together that I don't think the Makos can give me. It's over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2016 at 11:41 AM, JimmyTheDriver said:

Did it work? The steep arches of these skates cramp my feet.  Unfortunately that area of the skate is the hard carbon. Curious if this area can actually be shaped.

Thanks!

Quick update.  Still no movement on the hard carbon in the heel.  But I was able to further adjust fit in the heel, just above the hard carbon.  My left heel is pretty narrow coming up into the Achilles. So I still had more play and less heel lock than I wanted after a few skates in them.  Last night, took the heat gun out, took the tendon guard off (key for getting to the area I wanted movement in). and was able to really nicely pinch in the very back of the heel area above the carbon heel cup.  Hopefully will skate on them this weekend, but my quick step in post adjustment and cooling is feeling very promising.  It may need a bit more tweaking on the sides of my heel, but I am purposefully making small adjustments step by step. 

So far, unlike the above poster who is breaking up with his Makos, these are the best skates I have found in fit for my wacky feet.  Add the incredible thermo-forming abilities and I am one happy camper.  After only a few sessions I am feeling way more comfortable and competent in these than I ever did after a year in my Grafs and very close to the same feeling I had after over a year in my Vapors.  Granted, I learned alot with those previous skates that I am sure is carrying over to the Makos, but to my delight, the transition has been a real pleasure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts on replacement steel?  I feel like the pitch is a bit much for my liking, especially since adding superfeet yellows.  Step Steel the only good replacement?  If so, what size is my runner?  Skate size is 8.5D, kind of had trouble following their size chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Thoughts on replacement steel?  I feel like the pitch is a bit much for my liking, especially since adding superfeet yellows.  Step Steel the only good replacement?  If so, what size is my runner?  Skate size is 8.5D, kind of had trouble following their size chart.

The size for your runner is stamped on the holder. 

If you dont like the pitch you can have your existing runners profiled slightly negative. I did that, combined with a larger radius profile, and that helped a lot. Just changing steel isn't going to help the pitch at all (though I'd still recommend going Step just because it's better.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Thoughts on replacement steel?  I feel like the pitch is a bit much for my liking, especially since adding superfeet yellows.  Step Steel the only good replacement?  If so, what size is my runner?  Skate size is 8.5D, kind of had trouble following their size chart.

I know Tuuk 8.5D is 272.  On your holder there should be a size near the rivets usually towards the back of the skates.

Edited by strosedefence34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just pop in and say I can't believe this thread is still kicking after 4+ years? Too bad the skates haven't lasted that long.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Krev said:

Can I just pop in and say I can't believe this thread is still kicking after 4+ years? Too bad the skates haven't lasted that long.

I'm actually kicking myself for not getting on the bandwagon sooner.  By far the best fitting, most comfortable skate I have found in my short skating career.  Sad to see them going the way of the Dodo.  Hopefully mine hold up for awhile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krev said:

Can I just pop in and say I can't believe this thread is still kicking after 4+ years? Too bad the skates haven't lasted that long.

Congrats on starting one of the biggest threads of all time on MSH! 

EDIT: 7th largest thread ever. Only the Show it Off, FBV, eBay Idiot, and three years worth of gear sightings threads are larger! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

I'm actually kicking myself for not getting on the bandwagon sooner.  By far the best fitting, most comfortable skate I have found in my short skating career.  Sad to see them going the way of the Dodo.  Hopefully mine hold up for awhile. 

It's alright, there's more skates coming out with the same tech.

VH namely, and CCM on the new super tacks and the Jetspeed FT1's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

It's alright, there's more skates coming out with the same tech.

VH namely, and CCM on the new super tacks and the Jetspeed FT1's

Yep, VH is definitely on my radar, not that I need new skates any time soon, fingers crossed.  And I would need to get WAY better before I could justify that expense. 

Are the Super Tacks and Jetspeed FT1 going to have the same moldability and minimal negative space fit parameters?  I have really weird feet that have been a bear to fit in just about anything on the market.  So keeping up with this kind of tech in skates will be important to me going forward.  I just started skating about 2 years ago, so finding boots that fit has been a long frustrating process on top of learning the balance and mechanics.

I tried the current Jetspeeds on (forget which model, mid-bottom of the line probably) and barely got them laced up before I wanted to rip them off my feet.  Super uncomfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

It's alright, there's more skates coming out with the same tech.

VH namely, and CCM on the new super tacks and the Jetspeed FT1's

VH would be the direct replacement for the Mako's, more or less. When Dave went to Easton, Scott went back on his own to VH. If anything, VH is a much more refined version of the MLX than the Mako.

With Bauer acquiring Easton's skate R&D, it would be more likely they'd have the tech implemented before CCM does, though I don't know anything about the Super Tacks or Jetspeeds. I've been out of the gear research and modern offerings for a while. That said, I'd imagine CCM skates wouldn't have the same fit even if they have the same tech put in since each company has their own idea of what a skate should fit like.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Congrats on starting one of the biggest threads of all time on MSH! 

EDIT: 7th largest thread ever. Only the Show it Off, FBV, eBay Idiot, and three years worth of gear sightings threads are larger! 

Damn. That's kinda cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Krev said:

VH would be the direct replacement for the Mako's, more or less. When Dave went to Easton, Scott went back on his own to VH. If anything, VH is a much more refined version of the MLX than the Mako.

With Bauer acquiring Easton's skate R&D, it would be more likely they'd have the tech implemented before CCM does, though I don't know anything about the Super Tacks or Jetspeeds. I've been out of the gear research and modern offerings for a while. That said, I'd imagine CCM skates wouldn't have the same fit even if they have the same tech put in since each company has their own idea of what a skate should fit like.

Damn. That's kinda cool.

If you look at the super tacks or the new Jetspeed FT1, it is a monocoque construction of the boot with no outsole like a traditional skate has. The biggest feature IMO of the easton Mako's. 

 

Now, it may not have the form fit that the makos do, but with it being a single piece of CF, it should hopefully be heat mold-able like the Mako's & VH Skates are

 

edit: here's a review between the super tacks and Mako 2 that I found online. Surprised someone had posted this. Very rare you would find something like this.

https://reboothockey.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/honest-hockey-review-ccm-super-tacks/ 

 

CCM-FT1-Skates-9966.jpg

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_03/CCM_SuperTacks1.jpg.6d89adc672befb44834beebf601181f6.jpg

 

Edited by sparky1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×