Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

On 8/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, swede said:

A deeper knee bend will solve that problem..

I skate 4-6 times per week and gave the aggressive pitch 2 years.   I use a deep knee bend on a skate with neutral pitch.  I don't need to skate in high heels to exhibit a deep knee bend .... when appropriate.  That being said, I felt the exact same way, when not skating, but battling on the boards or in front of net, I continually fell forward.  I was simply off balance.  I also washed out a lot on turns.  So, after 2 years, I had had enough.  I had the pitch eliminated from the steel ( still have the holder pitch) and problem solved! 

In response to the poster wondering how to address the pitch, I've used both approaches.

Both my son and daughter have Makos as well (I've stocked up 6 pairs for the kids to grow into).  On my son's we put TUUK holders and LS runners.  This would eliminate most of the pitch and matched his old Vapors pretty well.  The problem is, the rivets pull out a lot.  They don't align perfectly and are stressed too much.  There have been a couple of times I've taken them  in to get sharpened and loose rivets have been identified.  In one case, we were in the middle of a tournament and they were so bad, J.R. had to redo one skate while I waited on a busy Saturday afternoon so, he could play 40 min later.  (As always, great service J.R.)

On my daughter's, we just went -3 on the pitch and that brings her close to her Jetspeeds, but still gives her probably a plus 1 pitch.  They were +4 out of the box, which is crazy!

On 8/7/2017 at 3:19 PM, kyleo29 said:

I moved back to center recently and I feel off balance constantly when battling for position in front of the net. Any push from behind seems to send me falling forward. Maybe I just need an adjustment time

As I said in the immediate previous reply to another poster, I had the same issue. I skate a lot and gave it 2 years.  After 2 years, I gave up and got rid of the extreme pitch.  Much better.

On 8/7/2017 at 4:15 PM, swede said:

A deeper knee bend will solve that problem..

Anymore of a knee bend and I'm gonna look like I'm trying to take a dump on the ice..and still be on my toes too much 

You guys grew up skating in Bauers right? 🙂

I dont mind the forward pitch at all.. But them i grew up skating in Grafs, so.. This all remind me of when i grew up.. Most of our JR team were skating in Grafs, and only a few were skating in Bauers. Some in supremes, some in Air90's or Air70's.. What all Bauer guys had incommon, was that they were falling backwards, and had to re-profile their runners to a forward pitch..  

• Like 1

For those Mako lovers in the Greater Toronto Area, I spotted some clearance Makos at the Pickering Sport Chek that's closing in mid-December. Everything is currently 30% off lowest ticketed prices - the discount may increase as the closing date approaches (I believe the final day is Dec 17).

They had 8EE OG Makos in the box for $399.88, 8.5EE OG Makos in the box marked at $469.88 (may scan at the same price as the other OG Makos) and 8D Mako II skates out of the box on a rack for $469.88. These are the prices before the 30% discount. If the Mako II's were 8EE I would've grabbed them myself. The did have the OG Makos in my size, but I already have several Mako II's so left them all. I did open the OG Mako boxes to check that they were in fact the originals - they were.

spw49d.jpg

358s4r4.jpg

nqrd74.jpg

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Hmmm I wore an 8.5D. I wonder if an 8.5EE  would work for me. Probably not a good idea to take a $469 gamble.

If they scanned for 398.88...

398.88 x 30% off = 279.22 x CAD to USD = 218.49

I couldn't tell from google whether Ontario sales tax was 13% or 8%.

Either way, if there was any 1/2 size bigger, I'd buy them all.

Just noticed the differentiation between OG Mako's and Mako II's. So...

469.88 x 30% off = 257.18 x CAD to USD = 257.18

If anyone in Pickering sees any Makos in a 9D, I'll make it worth your wild to grab them for me.

Edited by NiCnoK
Poor reading comprehension

Ontario tax at the retail level is 13% HST. I scoured the store and those were the only Makos I found. So there are the OG 8EE and 8.5EE pairs in the box and the 8D Mako II's with no box on a rack. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Hmmm I wore an 8.5D. I wonder if an 8.5EE  would work for me. Probably not a good idea to take a $469 gamble.

The $469 is the tag price, but it might scan at $399 (as that's what the 8EE pair was marked at); either way it'd be an additional 30% off the lowest price. With that said, going between widths is certainly a gamble. I wear 8EE Makos and tried a clearance 8D M8 and even after baking they were too narrow in the forefoot for me so I had to resell them. That's why I didn't bite on the 8D Mako II's.

54 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Ontario tax at the retail level is 13% HST. I scoured the store and those were the only Makos I found. So there are the OG 8EE and 8.5EE pairs in the box and the 8D Mako II's with no box on a rack. 

Thanks. I figured someone posting in the Mako forum on Modsquad would do a thorough search of any store selling new Mako skates, but I was holding out hope that you might have missed a pair. 

I’m a senior league player the only skates I’ve ever worn were vintage Super Tacks and Microns . The new skates today are just too stiff for me , however I took a  look at the Easton Mako skate  awhile ago and kinda liked them.. Bauer bought out Easton and now the skate is hard to find.. wondering if anyone knows where I might find a pair size 8D or even a vintage pair of Daust..

Thanks 

I have been trying to find a pair of the Mako II skates for a long time.... Anything in a common size 7-9 are almost impossible to find online new or used. Best bet is to check out smaller local shops. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

Well "Like new" 

Guys were selling new ones for $150 few months ago.

Sorry man, thought it was a good deal. Thanks for the info, I  will consult you before buying my next pair.

• Haha 2

Howdy,

Yeah.  I haven't seen a pair of Mako's in a 7.5 in any model at any price in the last six months.  $150 CAD w/new step steel seems pretty damned awesome to me.

Mark

7 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Yeah.  I haven't seen a pair of Mako's in a 7.5 in any model at any price in the last six months.  $150 CAD w/new step steel seems pretty damned awesome to me.

Mark

Saw 3 pairs of 7.5 for $150 USD.  That's asking. One guy had two sets.  Granted there was no step steel.

I was looking for my buddy but he ended up going with some pro stock nexus.

Edited by BureKovy

31 minutes ago, getthekidthepuck said:

Sorry man, thought it was a good deal. Thanks for the info, I  will consult you before buying my next pair.

It is a good deal plus you got step steel.  And its in your size.  Feel good about it.

Edited by BureKovy

I'm sure the answer is buried in here somewhere but I can't find it...

What's the best way to remove the orange/silver graphics on the Mako 2 aside from plasti-dip? Specifically, the orange E on the tendon guard, the Easton logo on the quarter, and the silver stripes on the side of the boot. I prefer a completely blacked out skate.

Does a Sharpie do the trick with no future maintenance required?

Edited by Cavs019

After seeing it mentioned earlier in this thread, I used sandpaper to remove the orange stripes and the Easton logo- looks good and worked like a charm. Paint marker is no doubt quicker though.  I still need to grab a paint marker for the tendon guard.

WacxTVH.png

Edited by DolomaticDangles
  • Like 2